• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Before one "goes apeshit or nuts" would it not be better to completely read and know how to fill out the form correctly first...THEN go do the paper work KNOWING how?

I know how because before doing it... I obtained the form and checked.

It is up to the individual to know what they are doing BEFORE doing it so these things don't cause issues from doing it wrong or incompletely.

Also... The form, once processed by MSP, is mailed to the SELLER. The seller then contacts the buyer, meets the buyer, both sign the form, exchange the property and money and the buyer mails the completed copy back to MSP.

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Before one "goes apeshit or nuts" would it not be better to completely read and know how to fill out the form correctly first...THEN go do the paper work KNOWING how?

I know how because before doing it... I obtained the form and checked.

It is up to the individual to know what they are doing BEFORE doing it so these things don't cause issues from doing it wrong or incompletely.

Also... The form, once processed by MSP, is mailed to the SELLER. The seller then contacts the buyer, meets the buyer, both sign the form, exchange the property and money and the buyer mails the completed copy back to MSP.

Yes, I should have paid closer attention. I saw them at some point, unchecked, and meant to ask about them but my ADD kicked in and I lost focus. Had I seen them checked before we left, I would have had them torn up and completed new ones. Alas, I didn't notice till I was home.

Correct, they told me I (the seller) had to wait for the form and it would be at least 3-6 weeks. I thought I said that already.

skibernie

Feb 22, 2008
    Silver Spring,MD
    Correct, they told me I (the seller) had to wait for the form and it would be at least 3-6 weeks. I thought I said that already.

I'm pretty sure the law states you can transfer after the wait period for a private sale. Only an FFL has to wait for the NICS number.

Sounds like the Trooper was giving opinion rather than fact.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I'm pretty sure the law states you can transfer after the wait period for a private sale. Only an FFL has to wait for the NICS number.

Sounds like the Trooper was giving opinion rather than fact.

He was more likely repeating what his supervisor told him to tell folks... which came down from his boss's boss's boss's boss, "OWEscrewyougunownersMalley". :mad54: But I am sure that ANYONE on OweMalley's team can walk right in and pick their us at the factory at one minute after seven days. :cool:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Yes, I should have paid closer attention. I saw them at some point, unchecked, and meant to ask about them but my ADD kicked in and I lost focus. Had I seen them checked before we left, I would have had them torn up and completed new ones. Alas, I didn't notice till I was home.

Just clarifying for some who did not catch that... and were not clear...

3-6 weeks? That is a joke... I have been waiting 62 days for my lower. 72 days since I PAID for it. :mad54:

Ringmaster

Feb 9, 2013
    Howard County
    I went to the MSP barracks ahead of time to pick up forms for a transfer I was doing with my next door neighbor so I could take my time filling them out instead of being in a hurry standing in the lobby of the barracks and making a mistake.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... Well on my copy, both 2nd Party AND Voluntary Registration are checked.

Looks like they take it upon themselves to voluntarily register the firearm for you?! :tdown:

i would have gone apesh!t.

Can they do that?

Relax. Nothing out of the ordinary was done, no additional "registration" was made. The Trooper probably shouldn't have checked the second box, but nothing is done differently because of it. All transfers are recorded in a database.

The word "Registration" is not entirely accurate, because not all legally possessed handguns are "registered", as they are in Illinois or New York. Maryland has a Database of Transfers.

Someone might want their handgun added to the database, perhaps to remove any possible doubt as to their legal ownership. Perhaps it's an old gun that's been in the family, perhaps they bought it face-to-face before October 1, 1996. Perhaps they bought it when they lived in Iowa five years ago, then moved here.

If they want their gun in the Database of Transfers, but it's not being transferred, they can then check the "Voluntary Registration" box on the Form 77r. It's just a little bureaucratic quibble, to allow for the fact that the gun isn't being transferred.

In your case, there is no additional "registration" being done. The transfer is being entered into the Database of Transfers, that's all. The bureaucrats intend only one box to be checked, but it doesn't really matter. It's treated exactly the same in any case.

Of course, after October 1, 2013, it won't be "voluntary" anymore.

The irony is, while you were doing the paperwork, the secret police were installing hidden cameras in your car to catch you texting while driving. That's the real conspiracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom