• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cfogle311

Apr 8, 2013
    Frederick
    I am currently 20 right now and was planning doing an AR build next spring when i turned 21. In light of SB261 going through, i was wondering if there was any legal way i could acquire a lower before then event though im 20.

A close relative of mine offered to buy one now and transfer over to me when i turn 21. i was wondering if this would be legal after the new law comes to into effect. i've tried to read over it but it gets pretty ambiguous. Any help is greatly appreciated.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I am currently 20 right now and was planning doing an AR build next spring when i turned 21. In light of SB261 going through, i was wondering if there was any legal way i could acquire a lower before then event though im 20.

A close relative of mine offered to buy one now and transfer over to me when i turn 21. i was wondering if this would be legal after the new law comes to into effect. i've tried to read over it but it gets pretty ambiguous. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry dude, you are sadly out of luck.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    There may be a small sliver of hope for finding some AR love in your life.

If there is an injunction granted in the expected court cases or if implementation of the law is delayed through the referendum process, there may be a chance for you to turn 21 and get your hands on a lower before the law kicks in.

The "close relative" route you mentioned is something to avoid. IANAL, but I think the only way for that to work legally would be for your relative to pass away and leave the rifle to you in their will.

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    Is it legal to buy an HBAR lower in Maryland when you are under 21?

Correct, so he would have to buy a complete HBAR rifle and have it transfered cash and carry under form 4473. Then once he turns 21, he can change out the barrel with an M4 profile if wanted.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

yes, it is unregulated

but don't put a sinister banned upper on it after you turn 21, that would be illegal if you changed it to a banned configuration after 10/1/2013

so try to get an HBAR and depending on what your legal plans are for the rifle, I think you will find it is just fine

some dealers will only sell it unregulated in a A2 or A4 configuration

theoretically, the HBAR version isn't banned either so should still be available after 10/1/2013 but this is Maryland so they may try to pull something on us, so I would get it now if you can and have the money

otherwise hope for courts to rule in our favor

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012

i've never seen a lower marked HBAR, so you would have to purchase a complete HBAR rifle, however i guess they could produce and sell HBAR marked lowers after Oct. 1st, but nobody really knows how lowers will be handled after Oct. 1st

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    doesn't have to be marked

lowers only will always be regulated, so turbo is correct you will have to get the complete rifle as an HBAR to be unregulated

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    This is an interesting question. Until the COMAR is fully written we will not know how the SB281 will be enforced.

I spoke to my LGS and they told me that in the past when AR Pistols and the last AR ban happened, they were instructed to submit all of the serial numbers that they had in stock on day one of the law to MSP. They were then permitted to sell and transfer all of those to legal purchasers in state. They just couldnt get new firearms to transfer.

IANAL but this will be an interesting next few months.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Acquire HBAR right now. Put non-heavy barreled upper on it after you turn 21.

Yes, you can buy an HBAR at 18, but you won't be legally able to turn it into a banned weapon after 1 Oct 2013. The legal way to do this would be to place a purchase order for one now to be delivered on your 21st birthday (i.e. place the rifle you want on Lay-away.)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The legal way to do this would be to place a purchase order for one now to be delivered on your 21st birthday (i.e. place the rifle you want on Lay-away.)

This. Find a shop that will let you do this.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ugh. I don't think is as clear as some people make it out to be.

The problem is that the OP is under 21, and buying a regulated firearm under 21 is a criminal act. If the OP has a purchase order for a stripped lower dated before his 21st birthday, that could be construed as a big fat piece of evidence that the OP bought a regulated firearm before his 21st birthday. Remember: buy and transfer are two separate issues under the law!

IMHO, his best bet is to buy an HBAR.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ugh. I don't think is as clear as some people make it out to be.

The problem is that the OP is under 21, and buying a regulated firearm under 21 is a criminal act. If the OP has a purchase order for a stripped lower dated before his 21st birthday, that could be construed as a big fat piece of evidence that the OP bought a regulated firearm before his 21st birthday. Remember: buy and transfer are two separate issues under the law!

IMHO, his best bet is to buy an HBAR.

You just said it. Buying and transferring are two separate things. He can put an order in for it, and do the actual transfer when it "comes in". The FFL is not transferring anything until he's 21.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Get the Hbar now. I believe you can also get one out of state as well cause, good luck finding one in Md.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You just said it. Buying and transferring are two separate things. He can put an order in for it, and do the actual transfer when it "comes in". The FFL is not transferring anything until he's 21.

Purchase order is NOT a purchase. It is an order to purchase at a FUTURE date when it is LEGAL for it to be purchased and transferred to him. Hell, if I had a one year old child, I would place a purchase order on their behalf today for 20 years from now. That's how the law was written, that's how it works, their stupidity, not mine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At the risk of triggering the "defeatist alarm" , the OP is at an age where he probably doesn't have too much bagage to relocate over the border. Use an HBAR as is for a cpl of years if an instate tuition issues or whatever , then when relocated rebuild to your tastes. Or you relatives could sell their lowers to you via an FFL in your new state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom