• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    Just curious on transfer charges being charged on guns bought out of state from private parties. A few months ago I contact a local ffl about transferring a handgun through them and they stated it would be $50, now today at pickup they charge me $96 saying I had to pay a sales tax of $36 dollars, I question them but was told its the law in Maryland. I wasn't happy but couldn't really do anything further as they had my gun. I hear all these different prices being charged at different ffls but does this tax sound right?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Post the FFL.

Why would you have to pay sales tax to a dealer for a price you did not pay to him?

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    A lot of 'em ( if not all) are doing this now. The way I understand it is this: In theory, if you buy something from out of state, you still owe the State of Maryland sales tax for said purchase. That said, Maryland has no easy way to enforce many purchases (Ebay, Amazon, etc). Now here's the kicker: When you are purchasing from an FFL based in Maryland, and said FFL handles regulated firearms, Maryland has a hammer to hold over their head....if they don't collect the sales tax, then they can lose the right to be able to handle regulated firearms. There is a further threat that business licenses required to do business in Maryland can be revoked. This sounds logical, but I would be interested to hear more on it myself. Anyone??:crazy:

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I think it's because the brick and mortar FFLs in MD
    realize that their sales are going to drop like a rock
    soon, and they need to charge to help stay in bidness.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ive never paid a tax on a transfer. If you bought the gun from an out of state dealer, and paid for it beforehand (which is usally the case since most FFL wont ship unless you pay for it) , then you should not have to pay a sale tax on the firearm.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe they are charging to pay for renting storage. LOTS of FFL, are no longer doing regulated transfers, since there is no where to store them. This is the case with my local FFL's.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I went to Bollinger Gunsmithing. An hour drive, but worth it. They posted $40 regulated transfers ($10 discount for fire/police/military) and that's what I paid. No taxes, hidden fees, etc. Sounds like you got taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom