• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrewQ1

Mar 9, 2016
    Well I'm looking to purchase my first AR and I wanted to go with Sterling Arsenal Prepr Mod2. I want flip up sights and free float guard. Some of the guys I shoot with majority former military and have years experience shooting and are also instructors.
    They say bluntly F* all these expensive ARs out there and just get you a simple one cause at end of the day it's going to be how well the shooter is and not the gun cause if a guy with 700 dollar rifle out shoots a guy with a 2k dollar one who looks bad. But of course they have all built their own rifles, etc.
    So they say just buy one and keep shooting and shooting some more. So I looked at some cheaper ones that have the flip up front and rear sights and free float guard outside of Sterling Arsenals AR15 which was my first choice...I found the:

M&P 15T
    Black Rain Ordinance Spec 15
    Troy Carbine A3
    CMMG mk4t

You guys have any opinions or reviews on them?

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    I'd recommend building your own. That way you can put whatever parts you like on it. Would your friends be willing to help you ? Depending on your location myself or a few guys on here are usually willing to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    As a relatively new AR owner I still suggest assembling an AR over buying. I bought a PSA free float AR and while it was fine I ended up swapping out parts for things I liked better anyway over the first year I owned it. That wasted a bit of money - probably like $200 after I sold the excess parts. You will also learn how everything goes together and works which is valuable in and of itself.

I suggest picking out your parts and if you don't want to assemble your upper have someone like 2A Sales, Engage, or one of the other IPs here do it. 2A Sales did two for me for very reasonable prices. The lower is not that hard to do with some basic tools.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Another vote for building your own. It's quite simple and will yield you exactly what you want.

Just make sure if you build a 5.56 it's a barrel labeled or marketed as an HBAR. Any other caliber does not require the barrel to be HBAR.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I won't go so far as to say that there isn't a point where an extremely cheap AR wouldn't have lesser quality bbl or other components as compared to a slightly more exensive one.

But if you mentally squint to interpret their sentiments to mean start out with a basic stripped down AR ( of acceptable quality) , practice and learn your basic marksmanship skills before replacing stuff, or adding stuff, then that's a statement with which I agree.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Moderate quality, not too many bells and whistles.

Then spend some time and money LEARNING TO SHOOT IT.

THEY, decide what YOU want in an AR.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    They say bluntly F* all these expensive ARs out there and just get you a simple one cause at end of the day it's going to be how well the shooter is and not the gun cause if a guy with 700 dollar rifle out shoots a guy with a 2k dollar one who looks bad.

Uhh, yeah. :rolleyes:

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Yes, a $700 can beat a 2K AR. After the Nut behind the trigger, a great barrel an trigger can make a rifle. Then it's the proper load an trigger time, practice, practice an more practice.

Decide what you want to use your rifle for then try that type before you buy.

montigre

May 16, 2016
    Moderate quality, not too many bells and whistles.

Then spend some time and money LEARNING TO SHOOT IT.

THEY, decide what YOU want in an AR.

I agree with this. Pick up something like a Colt 6721 (this is the HBAR version of the Colt 6920) that can now be purchased for $800-$900ish here in Maryland (maybe a little less if you can fine one on sale).

Then after you've played with it a little, sign up for one of School of the American Rifle beginners classes. There you will learn to become VERY comfortable taking apart and putting together your AR, proper maintenance/cleaning and what to look for when things don't go as planned. Chad's classes are very reasonable and the info taught is spot on and very easy to digest!! The website is: https://www.schooloftheamericanrifle.com/

Have fun with it-- it's a great platform for so many things!!

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I won't go so far as to say that there isn't a point where an extremely cheap AR wouldn't have lesser quality bbl or other components as compared to a slightly more exensive one.

But if you mentally squint to interpret their sentiments to mean start out with a basic stripped down AR ( of acceptable quality) , practice and learn your basic marksmanship skills before replacing stuff, or adding stuff, then that's a statement with which I agree.

Me too. This is where most AR owners start out.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    :thumbsup:
    I agree with this. Pick up something like a Colt 6721 (this is the HBAR version of the Colt 6920) that can now be purchased for $800-$900ish here in Maryland (maybe a little less if you can fine one on sale).

Then after you've played with it a little, sign up for one of School of the American Rifle beginners classes. There you will learn to become VERY comfortable taking apart and putting together your AR, proper maintenance/cleaning and what to look for when things don't go as planned. Chad's classes are very reasonable and the info taught is spot on and very easy to digest!! The website is: https://www.schooloftheamericanrifle.com/

Have fun with it-- it's a great platform for so many things!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:What he said!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I haven't said it for while, so here goes.

Until you have, let's say somthing like 1,000rds through it, you don't have the knowledge base to know what you want.

Shoot it box stock for 500-1,000 rounds, then you'll know what you like and don't like, and what to change or not change. Goes for ARs, Glocks, whatever.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I haven't said it for while, so here goes.

Until you have, let's say somthing like 1,000rds through it, you don't have the knowledge base to know what you want.

Shoot it box stock for 500-1,000 rounds, then you'll know what you like and don't like, and what to change or not change. Goes for ARs, Glocks, whatever.

That's why we eventually end up buying 3 or more AR's. There are worse fates in life. :D

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I will throw this out; The Colt AR 6721 is the only HBAR M4 style carbine Colt makes (I believe) and it is not going to be made any more, so now is the time to buy one if you want a Colt. O/W, if you decide you want a Colt later on, you will have to buy an LE turn-in or similar used Colt (unless you move out of Maryland). You can always buy one these others later. And face it - you will end up owning more than one AR.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    whatever you get make sure it is properly assembled.

this includes staked gas key and stock nut.

if you shoot drills and carry the gun while shooting for hours upon end, an improperly assembled AR with inferior parts WILL HAVE MALFUNCTIONS. Sometimes serious, sometimes able to be cleared.

The sweet spot is probably 1200 bucks.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    whatever you get make sure it is properly assembled.

this includes staked gas key and stock nut.

if you shoot drills and carry the gun while shooting for hours upon end, an improperly assembled AR with inferior parts WILL HAVE MALFUNCTIONS. Sometimes serious, sometimes able to be cleared.

The sweet spot is probably 1200 bucks.

Really $1200 I spent far less than that on my DPMS and have put over 5000 rounds through it and never had a single issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom