• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    This thread is meant to be a post-event write up.

First of all, I want to thank the people that made this event possible. This was one of the BEST 3-gun events I have ever participated in. Team 3-gun isn't really a "sanctioned" event, but this event will go a long was into making it so.

Dean DeTurk and the rest of the people who put on this show - thank you. Your efforts and organization were outstanding. I will most certainly be back for each and every event you host! The stages were well designed, challenging, and fun. Hats off to you!

The organization of this event was top notch. The flow between groups and stages was seamless. There were 3 Mdshooters teams at Topton - all 3 teams finished in the top half of the event. Great showing from a great group of shooters! Dave Olhasso's team won the event (SHOCKER - one day you are gonna lose to ME, Dave!!!) The only gripe I have is that the paper targets were difficult to acquire during the stages, and the kill zones - heck, you couldn't even see the boundary. Otherwise, everything was top notch. A nice combination of steel, clays, and paper. Lots of running, lots of gunning - and the penalties for misses were painful - as they should be.

I would also like to throw a big shout out to Harford Engraving Service. HES personally sponsored my team, and we were rocking your hats all day long, buddy! HES also had quite a few prizes on the winners tables - and I was lucky enough to take home a couple of them. We didn't win it - but we made you guys proud!

I'm not going to post a full AAR, but I'm sure others will. It's 3-gun season, and this was a great event to get things started.

Stud award goes to RussD. Russ steps up and cleans the 200 yard stage. 8 shots, 8 hits from supported and prone in less than 15 seconds. Absolutely badass!!!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Despite the heat and sun I really had an awesome time. The course was challenging enough to expose any weaknesses yet still allow shooters of all skill levels to compete. I definitely got to see some holes in my game, but was stoked to really shine when I knew I could. It was awesome to watch Team Pat, Richie, and J. Brown come together and seriously work the course. If it weren't for a few critical areas we would have been top 20 but that's the part that keeps you coming back. Oh and it was pretty cool to actually compete against team Noveske and Dave Olhannso as well. IT was exciting and pretty humbling as well. Still my highlight was just to shoot with Kevin and Pat. There's something really cool about the motiviation you get from watching your teamate tear up a stage.

NYKh

Fear & Loathing
    Sep 29, 2009
    Whitemarsh
    The stages were great; my team members on the other hand were not.
    But just being in that environment was a learning experience from watching everything, I must say I’m now hooked on 3-gun.

The only down side I could find, was the organizers should have provide a water buffalo or a least a garden hose to get water from. I had my camel back and extra but had to go to the kitchen to refill them.

Maybe I missed something, but then anyone I asked didn’t know of any water either.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I brought and drank an entire case pf propel water. No way I'd even show up without more water than I know I needed for the day.

kac

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    Still my highlight was just to shoot with Kevin and Pat. There's something really cool about the motiviation you get from watching your teamate tear up a stage.

You really nail it here. When I see you guys meeting and excelling on the problems presented in a stage, I just get pumped to try to live up to that standard.

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    Kac and vette, you guys rocked the shotty!

Water was a concern, I took 7 liters and drank ot all. A garden hose woulda been nice. There was plenty of shade to hide in if you didn't mind getting close to some poisen.
    The targets sucked! You as apone said, you couldn't see the kill zone, or your hits. It was frusterating to say the least.
    I hadent shot in 2 monthes and I showed. I tried to shoot at my normal speed and screwed th pooch on on 2 stages I shouldn't have. The other stages where I forced my self to slow down I shot pretty well. Ripper was injured and still shot extremily well, he had a malfunction and cleared it, re- engauged and continued nailing targets in less time then most people blink. Stages 6 and 7 were to me the most chalenging with the distance's shot. This was an awsome event, Im allready anticipating next year.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I just watched the whole match over and I gotta call out Ripper for being an absolute beast on the course despite having spinal surgery Thursday. He flat out tore it up.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    i scored the match and i can tell you that it was won or lost on the long shots.

the 200 yard stage had most teams time out at 4 minutes. each shooter had 80 seconds to make 8 hits at 200 yards from prone and one other position (kneeling/supported). that doesn't sound like much, but more than half the field could not do it.

makes me glad i started my daughter in 4H rifle for the basics.

:)

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    i scored the match and i can tell you that it was won or lost on the long shots.

the 200 yard stage had most teams time out at 4 minutes. each shooter had 80 seconds to make 8 hits at 200 yards from prone and one other position (kneeling/supported). that doesn't sound like much, but more than half the field could not do it.

makes me glad i started my daughter in 4H rifle for the basics.

:)

Alby,

Thanks for being the sole person scoring the match. I know the difference your effort makes. It is a thankless job. So a big thanks goes to you!

Thanks again for taking care of Davin, you are a class act all the way.

Thanks also goes out to the organizers and all the ROs. Those boys busted there @ss all day. Oh yeah, lose the zombie targets if just for the fact of faster scoring.

It was good to see a strong turnout of MDShooters. Competition breeds excellence!

JT

HarEngSer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 4, 2008
    Bel Air
    Sorry about the hats.. i ordered the black back in December and figured out my folly about two weeks ago. But thanks for wearing them.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    So what are the restrictions regarding the guns in these competitions? 3 gun sounds like a fun event. Do you have to use a certain pistol, rifle and shotgun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom