• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    Just traded guns with someone and went to MSP to do it. I cant believe you have swap SS# on the forms with potentialy people you dont know. Is there any way around giving up the info to a stranger when buying guns?

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Every time I've bought a gun it's said that the SSN was optional, just there to avoid misidentification if you choose to provide it. Unless I'm only remembering the paperwork for long guns, and not handguns?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I believe it was optional on the handgun paperwork too. It says that providing it is optional but can help to refuse mis-identifications.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Just traded guns with someone and went to MSP to do it. I cant believe you have swap SS# on the forms with potentially people you don't know. Is there any way around giving up the info to a stranger when buying guns?

I was PM'd by a worker at a known "good-reputation-here on the site" shop who told me that they have a SSN optional policy with the MSP paperwork, and they all go through. You could try it and see what happens. The federal 4473 form explicitly says that the SSN is optional.

Another option is to scratch out the SSN on the paperwork when it comes back. A third option is to have a FFL do the transfer, that way only the shop may get privy to the SSN.

This SSN issue is something that's burned me up .. one day I'll have the guts to challenge it. VA and GA RKBA groups have successfully done it; conditioning any state, local, or fed govt. service on the provision of the SSN is against federal law unless the request was specifically authorized by Congress.

The MSP fingerprint cards ask for the SSN, with an asterisk disclaimer claiming that the request "is in compliance with fed law," whatever that means. Does that mean you can refuse to provide it, or that MSP has that specific Congressional authorization to require the SSN?:tdown:

stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    The back of the form says fill out SS# and nothing about optional, I mentioned it to the officer and he said nothing to differ so we just filled it out. I am not worried aout yesterdays transfer but if I ever buy from a stranger I would be.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    The back of the form says fill out SS# and nothing about optional, I mentioned it to the officer and he said nothing to differ so we just filled it out. I am not worried aout yesterdays transfer but if I ever buy from a stranger I would be.

Just scratch the number out on the other guys copy. no gib deal. I did it a few weeks ago at the Benson Barracks. no need for the other guy to have your SSN.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    A legal alien here who meets the qualifications for purchase of a firearm but who is not here to work on their visa would not have a SS# as I understand it and therefore if they can buy a regulated firearm without a SS#, then so can we all by default as I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom