• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I know selling deer parts are illegal, but what is the exact wording of the law? Can you charge for the services that were peformed (taxidermy)? Similar to how the meat can't be sold but the "buyer" can pay for the buthering services.

The taxidermist can, with DNR approval. We can't but. You can buy an already tanned hide, mount it on a form with reproduction antlers and sell it all day long. It's the real antlers that are the sticking point from what was explained to me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't know why someone would buy a mount from an animal that they didn't kill. What kind of meaning would it have to them?

Bars use them a lot. Also, if you have a cabin and you're not really a hunter, you might want one as a design aspect.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I believe that it illegal even to trade. From Natural Resources 10-404:

(e) Selling or exchange of game bird or mammal taken from wild.-
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection or § 10-512(a)(2)(ii) of this title, a person may not sell, offer for sale, barter, or exchange, at any time within the State any game bird or game mammal taken from the wild, in the State or in another state, territory, or country.
    (2) The prohibitions of paragraph (1) of this subsection do not apply to the:
    (i) Meat, pelt, carcass, or mounted specimen of any beaver, coyote, fisher, fox, mink, muskrat, nutria, opossum, otter, raccoon, skunk, or long-tailed weasel legally taken by the person;
    (ii) Hide, hair, tail, or feet, excluding a mounted specimen of deer, squirrel, or rabbit legally acquired;
    (iii) Feathers, skin, or feet, excluding a mounted specimen of upland and forest game birds legally acquired;
    (iv) Except as prohibited by federal law, feathers of wetland game birds legally acquired; or
    (v) Antlers of deer legally acquired in another state and manufactured into an article of commerce in another state.

That's why I asked.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't need a mount (unless I shoot one myself), but if you are trying to unload any antlers, I could take those off your hands (assuming it's legal). I have a friend who is desperate for a set to use for some form of decoration in her house. She doesn't seem understand that if I shoot it and have to work for it, I'm keeping it for myself...

I have piles of'm.....

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I believe that it illegal even to trade. From Natural Resources 10-404:

(e) Selling or exchange of game bird or mammal taken from wild.-
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection or § 10-512(a)(2)(ii) of this title, a person may not sell, offer for sale, barter, or exchange, at any time within the State any game bird or game mammal taken from the wild, in the State or in another state, territory, or country.
    (2) The prohibitions of paragraph (1) of this subsection do not apply to the:
    (i) Meat, pelt, carcass, or mounted specimen of any beaver, coyote, fisher, fox, mink, muskrat, nutria, opossum, otter, raccoon, skunk, or long-tailed weasel legally taken by the person;
    (ii) Hide, hair, tail, or feet, excluding a mounted specimen of deer, squirrel, or rabbit legally acquired;
    (iii) Feathers, skin, or feet, excluding a mounted specimen of upland and forest game birds legally acquired;
    (iv) Except as prohibited by federal law, feathers of wetland game birds legally acquired; or
    (v) Antlers of deer legally acquired in another state and manufactured into an article of commerce in another state.
    As I read that, if I spend $100,000 to shoot an elephant and die before the mount is finished, my wife can't sell it or my badger, prairie dog, impala, elk, moose, bobcat, mountain lion or rattlesnake.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As I read that, if I spend $100,000 to shoot an elephant and die before the mount is finished, my wife can't sell it or my badger, prairie dog, impala, elk, moose, bobcat, mountain lion or rattlesnake.

No but, I think she can still sell yer body to science.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    The laws are so damned confusing that I have to ask AGAIN about the selling of furbearer mounts. I was told years ago furbearers legal to take in MD are ok to sell, and that I could acquire furbearers from out of state also for this purpose. I was told then and again today that "non native" animals such as badgers, wolves, and elk -or African antelopes for that matter -could be sold all day every day in MD, but I need clarification on wether I need a fur dealer lisc to be given legally taken furbearers in-state for this purpose, or to buy non native or same species from out of state for the purpose of mounting and selling or selling the tanned hides. I will be getting it in writing from Connie Roberts, DNR permits coordinator, via email, once she researches it for me and has the proper answers.

However, selling any whitetail or sika mounts is NOT allowed. You may be able to to sell MD taken ones in PA, so long as you can show it was taken in MD and not in PA. Different laws there. You can sell deer hides and feet though if tanned or made into something, from the looks of it. It is well known among us taxidermists that we can do it at least. I have discounted older but in very good cond tanned hair on deer hides for sale BTW, plus some piebald feet that can be made into something if anyone is interested. I have a full set of nearly white piebald feet from a fellow MDS member's deer I did a shoulder mount of last year.

Bobcats and porcupines are a NO-NO to buy and sell in MD. Bobcats are closed season always, and porkys I assume are protected and not even game animals. You can't sell anything black bear either. Nor flying squirrel or chipmunk. Those are also non game and protected like porkys. Tell your cats that though...

Yes I was selling and giving away mounts last year. I had to donate whitetail heads and a full sika deer since I can't sell them. You cannot sell wild waterfowl PERIOD, it is a federal law, so I donated the ones I needed to part with. I also gave someone a beat up looking strutting turkey tom mount. He was going to use it as a decoy.

Charlie Foxtrot's post above with pertinent game code tells the basics.

If you want to start a trend, send Connie Roberts an email, asking about the details of buying/selling mounts in MD. She'll wonder WTF is going on if she gets a bunch of these inquiries at one time.

connie.roberts@md.gov

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom