• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Do I need any special permits to add a Suppressor to my 5.56? I don't know much about this stuff, but Maryland has so many rules to follow, I'm just trying to get info? Which Suppressor would be best for a 5.56?

Which one would be best depends on what you're using it for and your budget. There are differences in weight, POI shift, decibel rating, and of course price.

The suppressor does not require a permit but it does require a special tax to own the item ($200). If you are going through the process as an individual you would need to get fingerprints done, both Livescan and federal (blue cards). Passport photos are also needed for the federal side. However before the federal side can begin you need to obtain the CLEO sign off which entails a trip up to Pikesville (MSP Licensing Division) to drop off your form 4s and Livescan fingerprinting receipt. About 4-6 weeks later they will mail you back your form 4s with their signoff on the back and from there we'll mail everything out to the ATF. ATF side is running about 6-7 months it seems.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I dont believe the LT or LTA works with the mounts you have, YHM changed some things with the threading and im hearing everything isn't compatible anymore. I have not conformed though, but a caution since I haven't handled the LT or LTA Cans yet.

From the YHM website, the LT/LTA mounts look noticeably shorter than the old 7.62 mounts so it seems real likely that the old mounts will not fit into the LT models. The funny thing is that the YHM website says that the new mounts will not work with the old Phantoms, but it doesn't say anything about the reverse... based on my understanding of the Phantoms and the mounting system, I would have thought it would be the opposite.

Not anytime soon. YHM is way behind on their orders so I have no iead when we might actually see some of those guys.

Thanks. I am probably looking to upgrade from my SS Phantom. I didn't think the weight would bother me as much as it does... or (more likely) I just ignored the concern because you gave me such a damn good deal. I might come look at the Ti Phantom this weekend... or just hit the gym to beef up my noodle arms.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    YHM 308 Stainless Phantom or YHM Titanium Phantom .308 will fit your mounts. I dont believe the LT or LTA works with the mounts you have, YHM changed some things with the threading and im hearing everything isn't compatible anymore. I have not conformed though, but a caution since I haven't handled the LT or LTA Cans yet.

If Andy has some I would snatch them up. They are HARD to get.

Sorry, my dang internet was jacked up for a couple days and I just saw your reply.

So the YHM Phantom, either in Titanium or Stainless would be the way to go? What I am going for, is to be able to run one suppressor on all the rifles I have.

For the AR that Engage is building, which mount would I need to have installed to be compatable with the one you put on the Noveske?

I'm really a newbie at this Class 3 stuff so one more question, what are the LT and LTA cans, or are they mounts?

I would like to get a suppressor but would I have to go through the passport and fingerprints again?

I currently have paperwork going through for my SBR and won't be in Maryland long enough this R/R to go through the process again.

**EDIT** Just went to the YHM website and looked up the info. I like the writeup of the LTA but being that I have 2 rifles already set up for what I am guessing is the Phantom, I think I will stick with that system. I'll have to email Andy and see what he has in stock, if they are available, maybe I will make the time to get my fingerprints and stuff done.

Last edited:

Logan

Feb 8, 2012
    Which one would be best depends on what you're using it for and your budget. There are differences in weight, POI shift, decibel rating, and of course price.

The suppressor does not require a permit but it does require a special tax to own the item ($200). If you are going through the process as an individual you would need to get fingerprints done, both Livescan and federal (blue cards). Passport photos are also needed for the federal side. However before the federal side can begin you need to obtain the CLEO sign off which entails a trip up to Pikesville (MSP Licensing Division) to drop off your form 4s and Livescan fingerprinting receipt. About 4-6 weeks later they will mail you back your form 4s with their signoff on the back and from there we'll mail everything out to the ATF. ATF side is running about 6-7 months it seems.

Thank you. Isn't there a lawyer on this forum that sets up trusts, so the suppressor purchase is a little more manageable? What is his name?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Thank you. Isn't there a lawyer on this forum that sets up trusts, so the suppressor purchase is a little more manageable? What is his name?

Rusty Shackleton. If you scroll to the bottom of the IP forum you'll see he has his own sub-forum now.

charles h

Oct 29, 2012

were can I get the forms ? is this a 1 time licensing also is it the same thing for short barrol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom