• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've read up a little on them, but figure you'all would make the learning proces quicker. I've got a ranger buddy over in 'stan now. He was over in iraq for a little enjoying the garden of eden(between the tigris and euphrates), came back here, had a kid with his wife, and was sent back over around 3 months ago. We had a 1st birthday party for his kid yesterday. So what's this got to do with a thompson?

His wife promised him a thompson when he gets home safe in december(she's a keeper). His dad wanted me to poke around and figure out which one to get and where to get it from.

Knowing that backstory, who's got some information to help me in researching this for them? I'd like to know which version(t1, t5, t150d...it gets slightly confusing) is the most kickass and other things I should know that i don't know to ask about yet. I've fired a buddy's thompson before and understand that the drums are a pain in the ass, and the sticks are easier and generally more reliable, but my buddy wants a drum(he'll have some sticks too). He isn't a md resident so mag capacity isn't an issue, he and his wife live in a free state.

okay, whatchu got?
    GetDynamicImageCA5TZ3VU.jpg

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    His wife promised him a thompson when he gets home safe in december

Are you sure "a Thompson" isn't a euphemism for something? I mean it might be awkward if you asked if you could be there when she "gives him his Thompson".

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    You might give Dan at Gun Connection a call. He was able to track down a T150D for me within 24 hours.
    :D

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Two things I found...
    If you want to use the drum mags you can NOT get the M1
    Also... If you get a Thompson with a 16" barrel it is an OK gun... kinda heavy and just OK... But....
    When you SBR that puppy it becomes a NEW gun. When ever she gets the Thompson also get a short barrel and the necessary paper work.

SBR'd Thompson are far better than the kind with the full barrel. Balance is different, feel is different, it is just more fun and easier to shoot... IMO.

Chris

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The M1A1's will not take drums- there are no slots milled on the reciever. Those are also side bolts.

My experience, is that the stick mags suck. They feed unreliable. The cartridge has the tendency to feed sideways up the ramp, since its a double stack mag. The drums work fine - and depending on how old the drum is, there were some fitting issues on the older versions. Kahr has made some changes on the drums to resolve that issue (new version drum) My 50 round drums fit and worked with no issues. You need to make sure you wind them up enough so that the clock sping does not run out of tension - or you will have a feed issue then.

They also make a 10 round drum, and 50 round drum, and a 100 drum. All of the current drums are supposed to work in most old Full Auto Thompsons.

A common but easily fixed issue, is the rear sight screws like to loosen up from the bolt slapping with authority in the reciever. All you need to do is remove the screws, degrease the screw holes, and screws, and apply blue loctite.

The T1 is the 1927A1 Deluxe (rifle carbine) with a steel reciever. Has Cutts Compensator on the muzzle.
    The T1B is the 1927A1 Deluxe rifle carbine with a quick push button detachable stock. Has Cutts Compensator on the muzzle

The T5 is the lesser priced aluminum reciever 1927A1 - but is lighter in weight. Has Cutts Compensator on the muzzle

The TM1 is the M1A1 with the side bolt (military style) and will not take drum mags. Has no Cutts Comp, and does not use the flip up Lyman type rear sight.

The TM1c is the M1A1 with aluminum reciever - lighter weight.

The T1-C is the 1927A1 Commando. Has a horizantal foregrip (similar to the M1A1) but with black wood, and parkerized reciever. This one will take drum or stick mags. Has Cutts Compensator on the muzzle as well.

There are package models - that are the same as above but are shipped with stick & drum mags of various capacites.

The TA5 is the pistol version of the Thompson. All pistol version are aluminum recievers.

Kahr does offer an SBR version of both the 1927A1,fixed and detachable stock and the M1A1 style - but they are $600 more in cost -not including the federal tax stamp. Those models must be ordered direct from Kahr/Thompson. The smarter way if you want an SBR version - is to buy the longer legal barrel version, and buy the replacement barrel that Kahr offers on their parts page. The barrel are about $200. You will need to have a gunsmith swap the barrel - but its an easy barrel to replace. It works out cheaper to go that route - should he decide he wants an SBR.

There are also kits to turn a fixed stock into a detachable. I find firing from the hip with the rear stock between your arm, and body is easy to handle, and comfy -if you want to hip shoot it.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    The M1A1's will not take drums- there are no slots milled on the reciever. Those are also side bolts.

My experience, is that the stick mags suck. They feed unreliable. The cartridge has the tendency to feed sideways up the ramp, since its a double stack mag. The drums work fine - and depending on how old the drum is, there were some fitting issues on the older versions. Kahr has made some changes on the drums to resolve that issue (new version drum) My 50 round drums fit and worked with no issues. You need to make sure you wind them up enough so that the clock sping does not run out of tension - or you will have a feed issue then.

They also make a 10 round drum, and 50 round drum, and a 100 drum. All of the current drums are supposed to work in most old Full Auto Thompsons.

A common but easily fixed issue, is the rear sight screws like to loosen up from the bolt slapping with authority in the reciever. All you need to do is remove the screws, degrease the screw holes, and screws, and apply blue loctite.

The T1 is the 1927A1 Deluxe (rifle carbine) with a steel reciever. Has Cutts Compensator on the muzzle.
    The T1B is the 1927A1 Deluxe rifle carbine with a quick push button detachable stock. Has Cutts Compensator on the muzzle

The T5 is the lesser priced aluminum reciever 1927A1 - but is lighter in weight. Has Cutts Compensator on the muzzle

The TM1 is the M1A1 with the side bolt (military style) and will not take drum mags. Has no Cutts Comp, and does not use the flip up Lyman type rear sight.

The TM1c is the M1A1 with aluminum reciever - lighter weight.

The T1-C is the 1927A1 Commando. Has a horizantal foregrip (similar to the M1A1) but with black wood, and parkerized reciever. This one will take drum or stick mags. Has Cutts Compensator on the muzzle as well.

There are package models - that are the same as above but are shipped with stick & drum mags of various capacites.

The TA5 is the pistol version of the Thompson. All pistol version are aluminum recievers.

Kahr does offer an SBR version of both the 1927A1,fixed and detachable stock and the M1A1 style - but they are $600 more in cost -not including the federal tax stamp. Those models must be ordered direct from Kahr/Thompson. The smarter way if you want an SBR version - is to buy the longer legal barrel version, and buy the replacement barrel that Kahr offers on their parts page. The barrel are about $200. You will need to have a gunsmith swap the barrel - but its an easy barrel to replace. It works out cheaper to go that route - should he decide he wants an SBR.

There are also kits to turn a fixed stock into a detachable. I find firing from the hip with the rear stock between your arm, and body is easy to handle, and comfy -if you want to hip shoot it.

Good point. I've been down that road too.

The last time I took my Tommy out I found a screw laying on the bench and didnt think much of it....until my sight damn near fell off :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom