• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The Yugo M57 has a slightly longer pistol grip and an additional round capacity (9), and a factory safety. The M70A I think is 9mm, not C&R. The Romanian has 8 rd capacity, standard among the rest of the Toks.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    7.62x25 is a hot round [1400 fps IIRC] shoots through quarter inch soft steel flipper plates. Used to be a great cheap surplus round. Now surplus runs along the price of nine mil. Most is corrosive and the casings tend to split at the neck. [most surplus is actually submachine gun rounds. There is a seller on Ebay who makes compensators for the TTC. Parts seem to be more available for the TTC/ original style toks.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    I humbly submit to the knowledgeable members here to explain the difference between the Zastava M57 and M70A pistols and the Cugir Romanian TTC.

TTC - Direct copy of the Russian TT-33. Fires 7.62tok. 8-rd mags. C&R.

M57 - Modified TT-33 design. Fires 7.62tok. The extended grip allows for/requires a 9-rd mag. apart from the frame and mag, all parts interchangeable with nearly any Tokarev variant. Available as C&R and new production.

M70A - Almost exactly the same as an M57, but in 9mm Para. 8-rd mags due to husky 9mm cartridge as opposed to the skinny 7.62tok. New production only. No idea if parts are interchangeable, but probably at least some.

Jul 1, 2012
    ... There is a seller on Ebay who makes compensators for the TTC. Parts seem to be more available for the TTC/ original style toks.
    Got one of those compensators just for the heck of it while I was buying a new firing pin and split pin off evilBay (my Cugir TTC had a broken FP and a nail for retaining pin when it arrived). It took about 2 hours of hand-fitting to get the compensator to work. Not sure if it makes any difference other than more flame out the business end but it looks cool if you like that sort of thing.

(L to R, bottom to top): Hungarian M58 Firebird, Cugir TTC w/Compenstator, Tula TT33 c. 1940 w/matched mag)

Attachments

• t2.JPG
      t2.JPG
      30.4 KB · Views: 3,303
    • t3.JPG
      t3.JPG
      25.5 KB · Views: 1,726

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'm pretty sure that the new copies by Zastava are made in both 9x19 (Luger) and in 7.62x25 calibers. Whether or not you can find both in the U.S. is another issue, and they are not C&R.

Last edited:

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    7.62x25 is a hot round [1400 fps IIRC] shoots through quarter inch soft steel flipper plates. Used to be a great cheap surplus round. Now surplus runs along the price of nine mil. Most is corrosive and the casings tend to split at the neck. [most surplus is actually submachine gun rounds. There is a seller on Ebay who makes compensators for the TTC. Parts seem to be more available for the TTC/ original style toks.

I want to address the "submachine gun rounds" statement. Some of the Czech ammunition can be found on stripper clips for use in a submachine gun (I forget which one it was off the top of my head, but it took three of the clips to charge it fully). But research has shown there was no separate special "submachine gun" load made. I can try to find the original link in which someone posted a letter from the Czech manufacturer (S&B I think) confirming that they did not make two loads with one for a pistol and one for SMGs. The rounds were just packaged in the clips and not any different from the ones used for the pistols.

Willing to hear if anyone has additional evidence.

JAGGUY

Nov 4, 2009
    Peoples Republik
    I ordered surplus 7.62x25 years ago from I think Aim. Came in boxes of 6 loaded stripper clips and nickel silver bullets.

Been shooting that stuff from both my CZ52 and various Tokarevs ever since with no issues at all.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    Nice thread. I am going to be looking for a nice collectible, numbers matching, excellent condition Tokarev in the months to come. From a collectibility standpoint what is best, my limited knowledge tells me perhaps early Russian all original TT33?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    why would you need a compensator for the tokarev?

Now the VZ-52? Now THAT could use a compensator.

I love the 7.62x25, and the tokarev in general. PPU gets up to around 1650(!!!) fps out of a standard M57 barrel, but that ammo is soft lead with a thin copper jacket, not mild steel with a mild steel jacket washed in copper, so it doesn't penetrate quite as deep as the surplus ammo does. However.... The hollow points that PPU puts out are literally so powerful my heart skipped a beat when I tested them on wetpack and gelatin and saw the damage first hand. I can't wait for the pistol Zastava is coming up with that will have a double stack 7.62x25 20 round magazine in a pistol the size of, or a little smaller than, a glock 17

Jul 1, 2012
    ... nice collectible, numbers matching, excellent condition Tokarev ... early Russian all original TT33?

Can't go wrong there! But hard to find a truly good one. A pre-war or war-issue, non-import, no added safety, all matching, original and strong finish gun in good shape - expect to pay at least $1k up to $2k or more for it. Tack on another $500 or so for matching mag. If you have an unlimited budget look for an early high-condition TT-30... that will always be a blue-chip gun. Pretty scarce though. Post-war non-import TTs (esp Russian) and special contracts bring strong money right now too and probably always will. Mostly because there were so few post-war that were "brought back" for various reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom