• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Well, i and a few others here were watching a auction in Chestertown Md the other night. There was 4-5 things i threw bids on but let most of them go due to the rising prices knowing i also had to pay 13% buyers premium and associated fees.
    I decided to stick with this one long as it stayed within range . The descriptions were Horrible, all they said was what the gun was.. all it showed was One pic from about 10ft. Kinda scary stuff when you figure some ppl were bidding 1000-2500. I hope those guys went there and seen those guns first. Some of the stuff went for well above what it should have. Most went for price i would expect if you had seen many pics of it and knew exactly what you were getting.

Mine was ok, Maybe one of the better ones..It has a few things wrong with it, front sling swivel band is wrong( i knew that by looking at it in advance)
    Stock was sanded so a few of the nazi symbols were missing
    someone screwed swivels into the stock at some point so there is two holes( these stocks are impossible to come by and if you do they are expensive from what ive seen. Ill live with this one since the gun does look good and has a nice striping to it)
    mix master on serial numbers, but so are Russian Captures and ppl pay the same or more than i paid for this Much rarer rifle.
    worst part is its a typical 8mm bore, little cruddy, not as bad as a polish mauser i have, but not pretty.. need to shoot that sucker clean!

Pro..
    Pretty Rare rifle
    Lots of good markings On the metal itself, not Peened anywhere.
    Very good Blue
    Nice looking rifle
    Possible real German sling ( anyone know how to tell for sure? i dont see marking but it has alt of age to it and im betting its real)
    Found out tonight That 42 is a more Scarce year than the 41 and 43's.

Anyway im happy with it. Its found its new home. Hopeing to give it some range time once i get all the cosmoline out of it.

Hungarian Born .. German G98/40
    Enjoy the pics..

Attachments

• IMG_8100.JPG
      IMG_8100.JPG
      102.1 KB · Views: 384
    • IMG_8102.JPG
      IMG_8102.JPG
      45 KB · Views: 368
    • IMG_8103.JPG
      IMG_8103.JPG
      55.5 KB · Views: 355
    • IMG_8105.JPG
      IMG_8105.JPG
      94.4 KB · Views: 365
    • IMG_8106.JPG
      IMG_8106.JPG
      88.9 KB · Views: 363
    • IMG_8107.JPG
      IMG_8107.JPG
      55.6 KB · Views: 343
    • IMG_8108.JPG
      IMG_8108.JPG
      47.8 KB · Views: 355
    • IMG_8111.JPG
      IMG_8111.JPG
      104.2 KB · Views: 345
    • IMG_8115.JPG
      IMG_8115.JPG
      48.4 KB · Views: 372
    Last edited:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Very nice.

Thanks Brother ! Where you been hiding? We need to get together soon, i have that carbine tool you wanted to use. Also if you like we are going to the range tomorrow if the weather is decent. Ill PM you my number just incase you need it, today ill be unavailable from about 5pm to 9pm as my dad is being inducted into the Bowling hall of fame.

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    Very nice indeed ! From what I see the sling looks original hould have some sort of marking on the leather and the buckle.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Very nice indeed ! From what I see the sling looks original hould have some sort of marking on the leather and the buckle.

Couldn't find any marking but sure seems to have some age to it. I'll have to let someone else look at it n person with more knowledge than me.

Very nice, one of my wants.

It wasn't one of mine, I was bidding on a few things and added it to the things to bid on cause my buddies Garand1957 and Mrbig381 told me it was a pretty rare rifle. I figured if I Could get it cheap enough I'd pick it up. The hardest part was not knowing what I'm getting for my money, It wasn't like I looked at several pics and could ask questions. You got one pic and it said what the model of the gun.. That's it.. But I'm guessing you guys think I did ok at 420.00 bucks OTD :D. I don't mind telling you guys what I paid for this one cause IF I ever sold it both of those guys would be happy to own it. And it would go to them first.

Last edited:
    Very good pickup at a great price.
    I let one of those slip through my hands about 10 years ago.
    I wasn't into milsurps as much then, so the $350 he had on the rifle seemed steep to me. But it was matching and seemed unmolested...I should have just grabbed it. The only thing that deterred me at the time was the fact that it didn't look like a Mauser, but had German Nazi markings.
    I wasn't sure what it was, but knew it was something different.
    Then seeing the Nazi Marks, I came home to ask the guys on a Mauser forum if I should buy it.
    They told me to run, not walk back, and buy it RIGHT NOW.:banghead:
    Drove right back and it was gone. :(
    Learned a hard lesson on that one, and it's probably the rifle that made me realize to go with my gut, when I see something I haven't seen.
    Have been kicking myself ever since.

Last edited:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Very good pickup at a great price.
    I let one of those slip through my hands about 10 years ago.
    I wasn't into milsurps as much then, so the $350 he had on the rifle seemed steep to me. But it was matching and seemed unmolested...I should have just grabbed it. The only thing that deterred me at the time was the fact that it didn't look like a Mauser, but had German Nazi markings.
    I wasn't sure what it was, but knew it was something different.
    Then seeing the Nazi Marks, I came home to ask the guys on a Mauser forum if I should buy it.
    They told me to run, not walk back, and buy it RIGHT NOW.:banghead:
    Drove right back and it was gone. :(
    Learned a hard lesson on that one, and it's probably the rifle that made me realize to go with my gut, when I see something I haven't seen.
    Have been kicking myself ever since.

Yeah. Just happened to be watching the auction a the right time, im surprized it didn't go for more, but I'll take it.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom