• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    WMAL got it wrong. They keep calling it a handgun license. They said a major point was the requirement for fingerprints to get a handgun license was a part of the suit. This should be corrcted ASAP.

This makes us look unreasonable.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    WMAL got it wrong. They keep calling it a handgun license. They said a major point was the requirement for fingerprints to get a handgun license was a part of the suit. This should be corrcted ASAP.

This makes us look unreasonable.

We attack every part of the HQL, including the requirement, as implemented, that a person get livescan fingerprints as part of the HQL process. What it really is a license to purchase a handgun rather than a handgun license. But that's a difference way too subtle for the Media. And the article is correct that the fingerprinting was a central requirement. The suit attacks that requirement too, especially the burdensome way it was implemented by the MSP.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    We attack every part of the HQL, including the requirement, as implemented, that a person get livescan fingerprints as part of the HQL process. What it really is a license to purchase a handgun rather than a handgun license. But that's a difference way too subtle for the Media. And the article is correct that the fingerprinting was a central requirement. The suit attacks that requirement too, especially the burdensome way it was implemented by the MSP.

I'll always remember frosh during 3rd reader(iirc) in the Senate, up and down, the fingerprint requirement was going to make straw buyers have to stand in front of a trooper to get printed. It was going to be this huge deterant. Senators questioned him on this, and he went to *someone*(legal or msp rep) for verification right during the debate, applicants would be getting prints at the barracks, and the fee would be small. The deterant factor was his only stated reason. A burden for the sake of burden.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I'll always remember frosh during 3rd reader(iirc) in the Senate, up and down, the fingerprint requirement was going to make straw buyers have to stand in front of a trooper to get printed. It was going to be this huge deterant. Senators questioned him on this, and he went to *someone*(legal or msp rep) for verification right during the debate, applicants would be getting prints at the barracks, and the fee would be small. The deterant factor was his only stated reason. A burden for the sake of burden.

I remember, also.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The HQL already has proven to be an unreasonable burden as well as a failure, to boot, right? What fabricated, misleading stats will they conjure up, a la "How to Lie With Statistics," to try to convince the Court otherwise?

Seems that the driving factors in "gun violence" are economic prosperity and elimination of drug trafficking, both of which the Dems have failed to deliver on in MD despite 50-100 years of iron grip control in most places.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    The HQL already has proven to be an unreasonable burden as well as a failure, to boot, right? What fabricated, misleading stats will they conjure up, a la "How to Lie With Statistics," to try to convince the Court otherwise?

Seems that the driving factors in "gun violence" are economic prosperity and elimination of drug trafficking, both of which the Dems have failed to deliver on in MD despite 50-100 years of iron grip control in most places.

Its not that hard to convince those who already think you are right and are in the bag for your position. The days of honest judges seems to long lost history soon to be even removed from history books.:sad20:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    that was my point. IMO it makes us look unreasonable. I guess it's too bad the media cannot see the difference

A handgun license (a license to possess a handgun) would actually be even more restrictive than a license to purchase (as it would apply to persons previously owning a handgun). Thus, I am not sure how the inaccuracy in the article makes us look more unreasonable.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    When I mention the words "handgun qualification license", people assume I am talking about a carry permit... or just ask "what the hell is an HQL?". I would suspect that MOST people (average Joes, not gun people), would see the words "handgun license" and assume it means "carry permit". I use my HQL for state-issued I.D. quite often and most security and LEO have made comments such as "oh... you are one of us." or... "what is that?" or... "WOW!!! how did you get a Maryland carry permit?".
    I get where people would see us as unreasonable...
    ...just my .02

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Attn: MSI

Hopefully a few leaders in addition to Dan come out on the 29th to our event. You are all invited and please bring literature and sign up new members. This being our third year holding this event I am still amazed how many gun owners show up who aren't aware of the requirement to have a HQL in order to purchase a handgun. If many gun owners don't get it there is no hope for newbies unless we educate them.

Food, drinks, and range time at no cost to registered participants.

Time is running out register for the Dottrio shoot today! The event is on 10/29/16. This is not spam. We are a mdshooters industry partner! https://dottrio.eventbrite.com

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    When I mention the words "handgun qualification license", people assume I am talking about a carry permit... or just ask "what the hell is an HQL?". I would suspect that MOST people (average Joes, not gun people), would see the words "handgun license" and assume it means "carry permit". I use my HQL for state-issued I.D. quite often and most security and LEO have made comments such as "oh... you are one of us." or... "what is that?" or... "WOW!!! how did you get a Maryland carry permit?".
    I get where people would see us as unreasonable...
    ...just my .02

I would suspect that most of those Marylanders don't even know that a background check is required for a handgun in Maryland, even at gun shows, much less an HQL. Do the politicians ever say anything about what's already in place? No. Just "gun show loophole," "we need common sense controls," and "more."

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    because it makes us look like we are opposed to fingerprints for a carry permit as part of the background check.

I have to assume that is not the case.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I am personally for Constitutional carry so I do view fingerprinting as an infringement however it is tolerable when compared to no carry.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    because it makes us look like we are opposed to fingerprints for a carry permit as part of the background check.

I guess it depends on what you think the fingerprints actually do for the state's process.

The state claims they add some sort of layer of identifying security, but unless someone has been fingerprinted before and added to the cjis, the identity of the person being fingerprinted is actually supplied by their driver's license. The fingerprints are only as secure an identifier as the md driver's license.

What the fingerprints actually provide for the hql database, is real time information to MSP about any HQL holder that gets arrested/charged/convicted in the future, and why. This actually makes every question on the 4473 and 77r completely redundant, and about a million dollars a year in just LD salaraies are wasted checking and entering this data. Basically, if your HQL hasn't been flagged by MSP because of a change in your cjis record, you're going to pass most of the database checks on the 77r. The ones not accessible to cjis, are also checked in the hql application process.

The Bureau of Redundant Redundancy Department

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

The fingerprints just add more people into the database. Yet another reason someone with nefarious intentions, if they already don't have a history, avoid legal purchases.

If you look at it from another angle, the HQL reduces the amount of registered firearms and has increased the amount of illegally obtained weapons. There will be firearms regardless. Which would the legislature prefer?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    The fingerprints just add more people into the database. Yet another reason someone with nefarious intentions, if they already don't have a history, avoid legal purchases.

If you look at it from another angle, the HQL reduces the amount of registered firearms and has increased the amount of illegally obtained weapons. There will be firearms regardless. Which would the legislature prefer?
    They have answered that question. They would rather folks be illegally armed. Crime continues to rise and the sheeple call for more big government. Win win for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom