• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 13, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Hi,

I just recently purchased a Glock 23 as my first firearm and am shopping for all the equipment I'll need to maintain the gun. Huge fan of Hickok45 and will probably follow his cleaning instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc

As far as the video, I will need some:

toothbrushes
    cleaning patches
    Ballistol
    paper towels
    q-tips
    pipe cleaners

I'm also planning on getting the Glock armorer's tool for slide disassembly cleaning.

But my main inquiry is about any other things I will need. Any recommendations for me to purchase a rag/towel to wipe down my gun, cleaning mat, etc.

Any little bit helps. Thanks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hickok fails to mention putting a drop of oil on the trigger bar-connector interface. I don't do it religiously but it is the Glock manual.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    You can find mats on eBay or any gun shop. Several layers of newspaper work just fine..

You will also need oil/lubricant. But you don't need much on the gun.

Hickock45 is pretty right. I do it the same way, but with Breakfree CLP instead of Ballistol.

Here is a good manual on the Glock:
    http://novafirearms.com/resource/upload/Resource_999.pdf

Personally, I think you've made an excellent choice!

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I'm not a big Ballistol person. I use Slip2000 or TW25B for lubrication on my Glock. That said, I also clean it in the sink.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I currently own two glocks and shoot them more than anything.

IMO all you need is CLP (preferably some in a needle applicator), a pistol rod, a nylon or bronze bore brush (no steel), some cleaning patches, a cleaning rag, and a nylon brush. Me personally, I'd add a bronze tooth brush just in case, some bore solvent like hoppes elite, and TIGHT Q tips. I get mine from a company I think its called clean metal action. They don't leave fibers behind. And some blue shop towels.

(Again the first part of that is what you really need to do a decent job, the second part is if you're anal like me)

my cleaning regimine is as follows:

1. Unload and field strip. Take the barrel, put a patch with solvent on it (you can use clp) through the bore. Take brush (I use nylon cause my glock barrels barely have any stubborn fouling and nylon is cheaper and easier to clean. Most ppl use bronze) and run it in and out of the barrel a few tImes. Don't reverse directions in the middle of the bore or it might get stuck. Push a few dry patches through till they come out clean. Put some solvent (or clp) on a nylon toothbrush and scrub the outside of the barrel including feed ramp and locking lugs. SOMETIMES I find a small piece of fouling on my locking lug I can't get loose that is where my bronze toothbrush comes into play but I rarely need it. Take a shop rag or something and wipe down your barrel.

On to the slide. I spray some solvent on the underside of the frame and scrub everything with my nylon brush. I hold the frame vertically with the rear sights up so fouling doesn't run up into the firing pin channel. Take a rag and wipe the slide down. If you want use those tight q tips on slide rails and other tough spots to get to but if you use regular q tips make sure you use tweezers to remove any fibers left behind.

On to the frame. Not much is required. I take a clean brush and lightly brush it down, take some patches or a rag and wipe away any fouling. I also clean the 4 metal rails.

Recoil spring assembly doesn't need anything but you can brush it with a dry brush if you want.

On to lubrication: You do not need a lot of lube at ALL. The easiest way to remember it is setbyour slide on a table, barrel underneath, and then frame underneath that. Then remember "3-2-1" The top, slide, has three lubrication points, the second, barrel, had two, Ans the last, the receiver, has one.

On the slide, put a drop or two (NOT A LOT) of lube (clp is fine) on each slide rail. Just put em at the end, tilt the slide, and let it run down. or use your finger to spread it. Whatever. That's two. The third point is the hood of the slide. Just, on the front of the slide 2 inches or so behind front sight. Just a drop, spread it around with a finger.

On to the barrel (2). One or two small drops on the front of the barrel from about halfway down to the tip. Just spread it around with your fingers. The second point is inside the little lip near the feed ramp. The name escapes me at the moment. Locking lug? Just a drop.

Frame (1). I do this one maybe every other time I shoot the gun. Put a drop of oil between the connector and trigger bar. I think that's how to describe it. Hard to describe.

Reassemble the gun, rack the slide 5 times or so to spread the lube, function check the gun I'm a safe direction. Wipe down the outside if the gun and I'm done.

When I get home and I'm not on my phone I will find a diagram of the lubrication points so you can see them. Its sort if hard to describe.

That's just what I do. Me. You can get by with a LOT less. But that's what I do every single time I shoot my glock. I do a full detail strip once a year to do a more thorough cleaning.

The only parts you'll probably ever need to replace is the recoil spring/guide rod assembly after 5k rounds or so. Maybe a trigger spring after thousands of rounds if you want to he thorough.

After saying all that, I want to emphasize that you don't need to baby these guns, glean them every time you shoot them, or if you do, clean them as thoroughly as I do. Its just what I do. You should shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it and not stress to much about cleaning. Key is to not overlubricate it.

enjoy it. Good purchase and will serve you well.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    My Glock's are by far the easiest of any of my pistols to clean.

I spray MPro-7 (Hoppes Elite) down the barrel and patch twice. I spray more, and brush, 8 times or so. I spray and patch again twice, and the barrel's done. I have sprayed Wipe-out on occassion, just to see if I really got it all, but the patches are still white.

I wipe out the frame with a paper towel, slightly brush with a clean toothbrush. Same for the slide, being careful to get the bolt face and under the extractor clean. A drop of Ballistol here and there where required, and a dab of grease (Magnalube) on the rails, and back together she goes.

MH

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    you left a bore brush and cleaning rod off your list.

generally i will dip a patch in bore/copper solvent and run it thru the barrel a few times. let that sit so the solvent can do its job. then i just wipe everything down (frame and slide) with a paper towel or rag. i oil the rail/slide contact points and a drop or two in the connector area.

then run a bronze brush thru the barrel a handful of times, then oiled patches til they come out clean. some oil on the barrel contact points and re-assemble everything.

every once in a while i will pull out the whole trigger/connector assembly and do a more thorough cleaning.

also occasionally i will spray the crap out of the frame/trigger group/internals with CLP and blow it out with an air compressor.

generally though it's just clean the barrel and wipe everything else.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    If it takes you more than 5 minutes you're doing it wrong. Every 5000 rounds I will swap out my recoil spring and do a detail (i.e. complete) disassembly. But for regular shooting/maintenance these things really don't need much. As long as there's no bore obstruction or crap ammo in the chamber they should work.

mscdex

Feb 9, 2010
    Chevy Chase
    On that subject, have any of you heard about using copper grease found at any bike shop. I don't remember where I read about it but apairently it is great on glocks.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    On that subject, have any of you heard about using copper grease found at any bike shop. I don't remember where I read about it but apairently it is great on glocks.

The "copper grease" is Loctite C5-A Anti-Seize. Or at least it used to be, I had a tube for installing AR barrel nuts and noticed it was EXACTLY the same color, consistency and smell as the factory stuff. Lately the Glock grease has looked more "goldenrod" and has less of a metal flake look to it...

However that stuff is only meant to stay on the weapon for the first 500 rounds (according to the manual), and really isn't necessary at all (if you clean it off by accident it won't hurt). If good quality lube is used you'll be OK.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    I've been a fan of gunzilla for a long time. Use it for cleaning every surface in the gun after a few hundred or a thousand rounds. As far as oil goes, I used to use RemOil or Tru-oil but switch to Mobil 0W-40 after I started using it for my AR. Little dab in the trigger group and on the slide rails and that baby is as smooth as butter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom