• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • azuluza

May 14, 2013
    Ok so... as a new 308 owner im seeing that the price for ammo isnt great, after talking to a few of the older co-workers of mine they suggest I reload my own and in the end it will cover the cost of the press and come out cheaper in the end, im looking at some videos online on how to's and press kits and well I think im going to do it, so im here asking my SOMD shooters on advice on which kit to get, at the moment im looking at the Lee Turret Press 4 hole. I would like to reload both 308 & 556 I doubt I can reload my 5.7x28. Thanks for all the help in advanced.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    MidwayUSA has the Lee anniversary kit on sale for $108...it has everything except dies and components (brass/bullets/powder/primers). Best way to start out IMO.

azuluza

May 14, 2013
    MidwayUSA has the Lee anniversary kit on sale for $108...it has everything except dies and components (brass/bullets/powder/primers). Best way to start out IMO.

Yea I was looking at that one and is there a kit just for 308? or does it work with Rifles in general?

azuluza

May 14, 2013
    Do you have time for a new hobby?

Yea I only shoot about once a month so figure wouldnt reload but 100 at a time + I have alot of friends that shoot and just throw brass away so figure I can start collecting it and having it for myself.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    For getting started in reloading, consider this 'kit'.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...er%3BSearch-All+Products&WTz_l=YMAL;IK-216577

I have a RCBS RockChucker, that I bought in my beginning days of reloading, and I still use it!!!!

Great machine. Great company to do business with.

Once you've loaded some cartridges and get 'hooked', look forward to buying a progressive press, like the Dillon RL-550B or 650!!!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But yes , a basic setup n be it a kit oe otherwise , is for all metalic ctgs , other than .50BMG or sothing really strange. Die set and shell holder required for specific ctg to be loaded.

The single stage vs turret vs progressive debate is eternal, and has no single correct answer. I lean towords recomending turret , since it can be used as a singlre stage also if desired. But there is no totally wrong answer either.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At this particular moment , between panic prices and availablility of ammo , and panic prices and availability of components , the economics vary day by day . In general , in stable times the cost availability favors reloading. If your needs are well met by generic/ surplus ammo , .308 can be closer margin than many other cals , but your handloads can use better quality bullets , and be tailored to your gun for the same or little more than the cheapest generics.

byf43

At this particular moment , between panic prices and availablility of ammo , and panic prices and availability of components , the economics vary day by day . In general , in stable times the cost availability favors reloading. If your needs are well met by generic/ surplus ammo , .308 can be closer margin than many other cals , but your handloads can use better quality bullets , and be tailored to your gun for the same or little more than the cheapest generics.

Well said!!!

OP: Get the press, then the dies and shellholders for .308. (Personally, I like RCBS dies!)
    READ the Speer Reloading manual, cover to cover!!!

Buy the Lee "Zip Trim", cutter and 'pilot (to trim cases to length).
    (You can find these at Natchez Shooters Supply or at Midway USA.)
    Both are 'dot coms'.

Get yourself some primers (large rifle) and some .308 brass.
    Find/buy some Hodgdon H-4895 powder.
    Sierra 165 gr BTHP "GameKing" boolits.

You'll be well on your way to producing some fine handloads!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

azuluza

May 14, 2013
    Well said!!!

OP: Get the press, then the dies and shellholders for .308. (Personally, I like RCBS dies!)
    READ the Speer Reloading manual, cover to cover!!!

Buy the Lee "Zip Trim", cutter and 'pilot (to trim cases to length).
    (You can find these at Natchez Shooters Supply or at Midway USA.)
    Both are 'dot coms'.

Get yourself some primers (large rifle) and some .308 brass.
    Find/buy some Hodgdon H-4895 powder.
    Sierra 165 gr BTHP "GameKing" boolits.

You'll be well on your way to producing some fine handloads!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That is some awesome tips man, looking at those products now, im looking at this Lee Loadmaster and crap they make it seem so easy!!!!

byf43

....im looking at this Lee Loadmaster and crap they make it seem so easy!!!!

It IS easy, if you follow safe loading practices, and READ everything you can get your hands on.

Back when I started shooting/reloading, there was no 'internet' and no-one that I knew...... that reloaded ammo.

Everything that I learned, was from reading that Speer #11 reloading manual, and talking with Greg del Real, at Realco Firearms. (May he forever Rest in Peace!)

Fortunately, I still have all 10 fingers and both eyes. :D

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    The latest Speer manual is #14 published in 2007. That is pretty long in the tooth.
    I suggest you get the latest Lyman and Hornady, and Nosler books as well.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Do it - it will more than pay for itself in the long run to gear up to reload, and you have a lot more say-so in how the load goes together. You'll know exactly what you are shooting when you put rounds downrange.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Ok so... as a new 308 owner im seeing that the price for ammo isnt great, after talking to a few of the older co-workers of mine they suggest I reload my own and in the end it will cover the cost of the press and come out cheaper in the end, im looking at some videos online on how to's and press kits and well I think im going to do it, so im here asking my SOMD shooters on advice on which kit to get, at the moment im looking at the Lee Turret Press 4 hole. I would like to reload both 308 & 556 I doubt I can reload my 5.7x28. Thanks for all the help in advanced.

The way the mathmatics of reloading in nut shell . You have your one time use items of your powder , primers and lead . You have your brass that can be used up 5-6 time depending on your powder load actually is . Figure for powder your going to use a 1 pound of powder for a 100 bullets ( limit of 5lbs total on hand in the state of MD ) if your loading 308. Large rifles are going to run you 40 for a 1000 ( no limit in MD ) with both the powder and primers requiring a $20.00 Hazmat fee . Your bullets if you use Sierra Match king 168 is going to run you about 32.00 per 100. and once fired brass is going to run you 110. So you figure 6 cents for each primer , 32 cents for the bullet ,26cents for the powder (40 grain of powder) and here is where you get the savings is in the brass 500 rounds of once fired brass that can be used up to 5 or more times comes to like 4.5 cents per use. So you are making 308 ammo at 70cents a pop , no big deal when you can just buy it for a dollar a pop and not have to worry about it . But what you are doing is in fact making Match grade ammo that will exceed nearly all other factory match grade ammo. This type of ammo usually goes for $1.50 or more per round. You are going to save over half on the cost of your ammo and get better ammo out of it in the end.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Up to the date load data is available on line from all major to semi-major powder purveyors. Hogdons publishes an annual magazine format edition with data for Hogdon , IMR , and Winchester powders.

The reason to read the Speer hardback ( or similar) cover to cover is to learn the practice and theory of handloading. Bfy43 is recomending the Speer14 in particular. ( In their defense , any updates are listed on line , and they are glad to answer inquiries about bullet/ powder combinations not listed.) It's a good choice. I also recomend in particular the Lyman Handbook for the education.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013

I would (did) call Bob at Maryland Reload R. The guy is very knowledgeable and eager to pass on his experience. He sells Dillion presses and accessories as well as general reloading supplies. The presses are a little pricy, but Bob didn't judge me for having a lil red press.
    He is located just south of Waldorf, set up in his shop and garage. Give him a call and he WILL teach you something. He gave me about thirty more tips than I could retain, but he warned me that would happen. Call him, make an appointment and go by, it's worth it.
    http://www.marylandreloadr.com/index.html

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

We all go thru this & here is what I have learned...

Question #1. How many rounds did you shoot in the last 12 months..?

Question #2. How many different Calibers do you shoot..?

Question #3. Can you buy a years worth of ammo right now..?

Question #4. How much would it cost to buy a years worth of ammo today including shipping..?

Question #5. How much would it cost to buy 1 years worth of reloading components today (Primers, Powder & Bullet Heads) include Hazmat Fees..?

Question #6. How much spare time to you have each week..?

Question #7. Estimate the total cost of the reloader, a set of dies for each caliber that you want to reload, a brass tumbler, a brass separator, plastic bullet boxes, a dial caiber & a suitable work bench...

OK so now you know approximately what it will cost to get started...

Compare that to what it would cost for a years worth of ammo..?

Plan on your new hobby being fun, but using all your spare time...

BTW you'll spend a LOT more time making ammo than you will shooting...

Now you can make your decision...

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Sgt Preston here...

We all go thru this & here is what I have learned...

Question #1. How many rounds did you shoot in the last 12 months..?

Question #2. How many different Calibers do you shoot..?

Question #3. Can you buy a years worth of ammo right now..?

Question #4. How much would it cost to buy a years worth of ammo today including shipping..?

Question #5. How much would it cost to buy 1 years worth of reloading components today (Primers, Powder & Bullet Heads) include Hazmat Fees..?

Question #6. How much spare time to you have each week..?

Question #7. Estimate the total cost of the reloader, a set of dies for each caliber that you want to reload, a brass tumbler, a brass separator, plastic bullet boxes, a dial caiber & a suitable work bench...

OK so now you know approximately what it will cost to get started...

Compare that to what it would cost for a years worth of ammo..?

Plan on your new hobby being fun, but using all your spare time...

BTW you'll spend a LOT more time making ammo than you will shooting...

Now you can make your decision...

My Dillon 550 cranks out a few hundred rounds an hour. It does NOT use up all my spare time.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    If you're looking at progressive presses, I'd stay away from Lee. I love their single stage and turret, but their progressives are just not cut out for volume reloading, which is why you buy a progressive. I realize they're inexpensive, and pride themselves on being just as good as blue or red or green presses (Dillon, Hornady, RCBS)...but the truth is their progressives (Pro1000 or LoadMaster) will take a lot of tinkering, and not instill you with a lot of confidence while you're loading. If you're loading for distance, you're going to load single stage anyway. You will NEVER be able to shoot cheaper than reloads...I don't care how cheap you find milsurp ammo, if you produced the same ammo with the same components it would be cheaper. The benefit of reloading is accuracy, recoil tuning (for pistol), and pride in a hand made round. If you get really deep into it, you can cast or swage your own bullets (RCBS started out as a swaging press...the Rock Chucker Bullet Swager). The obsession with "how accurate can I get" will soon follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom