• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwhunter350

Gen 4 Glock 22
    Oct 18, 2009
    MD/DE
    Ok I was dead set on a S&W MP 15-22, but now im starting to think about a rock river arms ar 15.

I want the MP 22 because i can shoot it all day long in my back yard, its half the price and i would get alot of use out of it

but

this past weekend i went out and shot two rock river arm ar's and had a blast!

The problem is the price is double, i'd need to buy the .22 conversion( i dont know much about that) and chosing and affording an optic wont be easy lol

suggestions??

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Depends..........

If you only have one AR15, and its a SHTF gun then I would be weary of using a Conv. Kit. unless you are careful.

.22 Lead can build up in the FSB, and Gas Tube. If you shoot a mag of .223 after a .22 shooting session you should be good, this will blow the lead buildup out. (This is what I do)

With a dedicated .22, I would just get a ruger 10/22 or Rugers new 10/22 AR.
    Most of the .22 ARs seem cheesy and cheap to me.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    I vote for the AR with a .22 kit. As time and money allows then you can get a .22 upper and have the best of both worlds.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Depends..........

If you only have one AR15, and its a SHTF gun then I would be weary of using a Conv. Kit. unless you are careful.

.22 Lead can build up in the FSB, and Gas Tube. If you shoot a mag of .223 after a .22 shooting session you should be good, this will blow the lead buildup out. (This is what I do)

With a dedicated .22, I would just get a ruger 10/22 or Rugers new 10/22 AR.
    Most of the .22 ARs seem cheesy and cheap to me.

What he said.

If you have extra cash, I'd just spring for a dedicated .22 LR rifle. If it HAS to be AR style, there are a few options out there but they really do feel like toys. Not as bad as the new GSG .22 AK-47. That thing is an abortion... :sad20:

I'd much rather have an AR-15 that I don't shoot often over a cheesy copy.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    IT's not mine but there is a Vortex Strikefire On the Classifieds for a good price if you are looking for a quality affordable optic. I'll vote for the Ar with a .22 bolt and just make sure you get a 1/9 barrel to help stabilize the small .22 lr bullet.

gwhunter350

Gen 4 Glock 22
    Oct 18, 2009
    MD/DE
    Thanks for the input guys and keep it coming

I have a semi auto .22 now but i never use it, my .17hmr kinda took over that gun.

I have always wanted an AR but dont have alot of places to shoot it, so i thought the mp 22 would be a happy medium for under 500 bux.

Im pretty sure Im going to buy my self an AR as my christmas present lol

Now for the .22 conversions, whats good and whats bad. From the little research I have done basically they consist of a new bolt and mag, correct?

Also how hard is this to install? I Imagine fairly easy

Its not a good idea to run 500 rounds of .22 ammo over say a month with out shooting a clip of .223 after?

ddn3f

Jul 23, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    I had the same questions

I went with buying an AR 15 and getting a conversion. The best conversion is the Spike's tactical because it has an O-ring that the others do not. The installation is easy, I believe they say it takes 10 secs to change from .223 to 22 LR bolt and Mag. When money permits, I will make a dedicated 22 LR upper.

I actually have not picked up my ar15 lower from the FFL yet, I have all the other parts.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    If you can install a standard BCG in an AR, you can install a .22LR conversion kit. Takes about 5 seconds once you've got the rear takedown pin pulled!

My preference is the Spikes bolt because its nickle plated which makes it really slippery. No need to use any lube as you would with a standard Ciener bolt, and it cleans up easily too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom