• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bede5man

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 29, 2016
    Catonsville, MD
    First time poster here...

I know that I'm not the only one who's tired of just punching 45 caliber holes in paper targets. Anyone know of a place that allows ANY kind of reactive targets (and I don't mean moving gongs, etc.)? I mean the stuff we shot up as kids, like tin cans, clay pigeons set in sticks, plastic jugs, etc.

Guess what I'm looking for is a literal dump, or an area that is essentially so. As a boy, I had family in the Midwest with a community dump on the property, and we shot up old TV tubes, appliances, light bulbs, etc. In those times and in that place there was no concern of lawsuits if somebody got cut, poked, etc. :sad20:

While I'd never just trash up yet another place in an already-too-trashed-up world, there has to be some place within an hour or two that might allow this.

Or, at least a place where tarps could be put down to catch debris then easily humped out, even if that restricted the allowed materials.

I'd pay for the privilege.

Anyone?

Bede5man

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 29, 2016
    Catonsville, MD
    Delmarva lets you shoot stuff up???

The location is doable, easily. I saw their website, but it makes to mention of that kind of casual plinking.

Worth checking out, though...

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    No problems at my range :)
    Cans of expanding foam lately lol, I think it helps to aerate the soil and the corn grows better too.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

I know that I'm not the only one who's tired of just punching 45 caliber holes in paper targets. Anyone know of a place that allows ANY kind of reactive targets (and I don't mean moving gongs, etc.)? I mean the stuff we shot up as kids, like tin cans, clay pigeons set in sticks, plastic jugs, etc.

Guess what I'm looking for is a literal dump, or an area that is essentially so. As a boy, I had family in the Midwest with a community dump on the property, and we shot up old TV tubes, appliances, light bulbs, etc. In those times and in that place there was no concern of lawsuits if somebody got cut, poked, etc. :sad20:

While I'd never just trash up yet another place in an already-too-trashed-up world, there has to be some place within an hour or two that might allow this.

I would call first to be sure that reactive targets are still OK. I haven't been there in about a year.
    Or, at least a place where tarps could be put down to catch debris then easily humped out, even if that restricted the allowed materials.

Anyone?

It's would be a bit of a haul from Catonsville but, 340 Defense just outside of Charlestown, WV allows reactive targets:

http://www.340defense.com/

It's not the cheapest place to shoot, though, and you definitely don't want to go there without a pair of boots if it has been raining recently.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

Anyone?
    I quit punching paper when I discovered the shotgun sports. Trap, Skeet, 5-stand, Sporting Clays. Haven't punched paper in many years. I occasionally go to the pistol range to keep the skills up, but love them orange flying discs.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah 340 defense used to allow (and sell) tannerite but def call and be sure, they also had a bunch of steel up but I haven't been there in prob 3+ years. rents guns too up to 50bmg.

and a longer drive, but check out the cove west of Winchester (I think it's covecampground.com). again been a while so call but they at least used to let you bring all sorts of crap there to shoot up, and also had a few steel plates out there. camping there also.

but as jbb said above, definitely hit a uspsa or steel match, lots of fun running around shooting up steel and even cardboard on the move. really haven't been to a static range since I started doing all of this, other than to get new guns zeroed.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    The cove had went to pretty much all paper the last time I was out there. Seems someone called the Epa on them after they wouldn't let wouldn't let someone shoot up a bunch of old tv's

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I use MNHA's range days and they're pretty permissive about what you can shoot. I brought my mom's old shoes and we all had a blast.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As many eventually find out the most fun you can have with firearms is 3-gun competition. Once you start that every other form of shooting competition becomes nothing more than just practice for 3-gun.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA

Anyone?
    Downtown Baltimore?

Feb 28, 2013
    While it's not a dump, Delmarva Sporting Clays.
    I drive past there every day on my way to Salisbury. When I have to pull into the chicken coop next door I can see their pistol range. Looks like they have a duelin' tree set up, among other thangs.:)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I quit punching paper when I discovered the shotgun sports. Trap, Skeet, 5-stand, Sporting Clays. Haven't punched paper in many years. I occasionally go to the pistol range to keep the skills up, but love them orange flying discs.

I still enjoy a couple of hours punching holes in paper, but I do tend to get a much bigger kick out of trap and sporting clays.

Still enjoying hunting the most, even when I come home empty handed

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Yeah, I miss that when I was a kid, back in the 60's and 70's. Used to shoot up tim cans, jugs filled with colored kool aid, and stuff. They all got developoed thru the years, must have a friend to blow up that kind of stuff again. I used to love streams that froze over... a .22lr would skip a can down range, then BOOM, my 9mm or .270 would blow that sh_t up!! :-)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Delmarva, hands down.

Steve and the guys sold me a VW door to shoot at, also put some old rotors off a dually and some spray paint cans out with it. It was a good time.

12321216_10209272928969666_3017443982738003483_n.jpg

12931041_10209272935769836_6696390002400900577_n.jpg

10985354_10209272938609907_1282301630919789110_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom