• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Tips on Arisaka 99 for Gunshow (GOT ONE!)

PICKED! See post 1/18/2014

I"m up in PA next week and there is a collectors show at same time.
    I"m going to put an Arisaka 99 on my list.
    My requirements will be
    #1 Shootable
    #2 Matching
    #3 Visible Mum (in tact great, scratched fine, Totally ground down undesirable but acceptable).

Any tips on selecting one. Especially to tell its shootable.
    Where to look for the serial Numbers (Barrel, Bolt, Front Lug?) ?

Last edited:

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Have you narrowed down what variation you want? There are a lot of differences between an early rifle and a "last ditch" (these are safe to shoot, claims that they are dangerous are unwarranted.) The receiver, firing pin and dust covers are numbered along with what you mentioned.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I would recommend doing a bit of reading about markings for school training rifles as well. Many times T99s and T38s were taking out of service due to wear and reissued as training rifles. You don't want to end up buying one of these if you're looking for a shooter!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Have you narrowed down what variation you want? There are a lot of differences between an early rifle and a "last ditch" (these are safe to shoot, claims that they are dangerous are unwarranted.) The receiver, firing pin and dust covers are numbered along with what you mentioned.
    I have not. I thought I read that some are chrome lined?

I would recommend doing a bit of reading about markings for school training rifles as well. Many times T99s and T38s were taking out of service due to wear and reissued as training rifles. You don't want to end up buying one of these if you're looking for a shooter!

I've heard of the trainers with wooden bullets.
    Where can I read up on that?

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I never realized how many variations of the 99 there were until I started researching and collecting them. If you don't have a particular series/arsenal/variant in mind already just pick up a few and go with what you like, keeping in mind small variations and certain series' can be the difference between a $300 rifle and a $1k rifle.

Generally speaking, the earlier 99s had chrome lined barrels, and some had chromed bolt faces. Most 99s are matching by last three digits of serial number. Numbered parts include receiver, bayonet lug/front barrel band, bolt handle, extractor, safety, firing pin, and dust cover if one was issued. Just because a rifle has the dust cover grooves does not mean it was issued with one, again it comes down to series and number within the series. Same goes with the monopods that the earlier rifles had, just because a gun has the pod block does not mean it left the factory with one.

As the war progressed and the substitute standard (AKA last ditch) style came into play due to production pressure and demand the bayonet lug was generally not numbered. Also keep in mind that to many collectors a mum is either in tact or not, value wise a "struck" or slashed mum may not be any different from a completely ground mum, although of course to each their own so get what you want and good luck!

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia

Do this as well. There is a distinction to be made though between a true smooth bore trainer and a rifle that has been taken out of service and used as a school rifle. These school rifles are generally still serviceable and late in the war some were put back into service due to need. They will still have rifled barrels and many would likely be alright to shoot assuming everything checked out (headspace, etc as many are mismatched from having parts replaced before or after being taken out of service).

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    Go to this website: http://www.castle-thunder.com/

Scroll about halfway down and go to the link for Japanese Rifle Data
    Sheets. Pick the one you want for the Type 99 and take a look. There will be a blank box for a number associated with every part that was originally numbered. Lots of other good info on this site.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ok, I picked the best one at the show in my price range. They had one full mum but it was over $600.
    I picked this one cause of the all matching and the metal and stock was in a better condition that was not refinished. I talked him down just a tad and using my C&R to not need paperwork helped with that.
    All Matching (we pulled the safety knob) and mostly scrubbed mum. No monopod. Chrome shiney bore. Anti Aircraft sights. I have not looked up the factory serial number info. I'm at my son's tournament so this was with him between games.
    Any info/comments appreciated

Attachments

• Arisaka1.JPG
      Arisaka1.JPG
      54.8 KB · Views: 266
    • Arisaka3.JPG
      Arisaka3.JPG
      49.4 KB · Views: 261
    • Arisaka5.JPG
      Arisaka5.JPG
      74.2 KB · Views: 266
    • Arisaka9.JPG
      Arisaka9.JPG
      44.8 KB · Views: 266
    • Arisaka7.JPG
      Arisaka7.JPG
      41.6 KB · Views: 269

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    That's a real nice one! Nagoya arsenal series 2, nice that it still has the sight wings and cleaning rod! $600 just for the mum?? Unless it was something real special I would take your matching example any day of the week over a $600 flower!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    No factory 7.7 under $40 a box of 20 so I just ordered brass from Grafs to reload for it.

I take it that very few Arisakas have an import mark cause they were brought in during the late 40's and 50's? None that I saw at show had one that I saw.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    No factory 7.7 under $40 a box of 20 so I just ordered brass from Grafs to reload for it.

I take it that very few Arisakas have an import mark cause they were brought in during the late 40's and 50's? None that I saw at show had one that I saw.

You're correct, the vast majority you will find will not be import marked. Arisakas were brought back by the thousands by our troops at the end of the War as trophies/souveniers. There are some imports out there, believe most came from China as they ended up with a good number of Arisakas after the war. From what I've seen the imports are usually Type 38 rifles or carbines... seems most have Chinese characters burned into the stock along with the import markings.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013

7.7 only gets manufactured in small batches once a year so. When that happens, it's readily available for a couple of months at $25 or so per box of 20. Then, supply dries up and the price jumps back up to what it is now.

I bought 200 rounds for $260 last summer. The next batch should show up in the next few months. Just watch for it and stock up then. Don't feed the hoarders.

chenny

Sep 19, 2013
    Ok, I picked the best one at the show in my price range. They had one full mum but it was over $600.
    I picked this one cause of the all matching and the metal and stock was in a better condition that was not refinished. I talked him down just a tad and using my C&R to not need paperwork helped with that.
    All Matching (we pulled the safety knob) and mostly scrubbed mum. No monopod. Chrome shiney bore. Anti Aircraft sights. I have not looked up the factory serial number info. I'm at my son's tournament so this was with him between games.
    Any info/comments appreciated

I have a 99 from the same maker/series without a cleaning rod. I understand they came in a couple different configurations. Could you please post a picture of the one that came with your rifle so I know what I'm looking for? I would appreciate it, thanks.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I thought there was something wrong Sat night when I could not untwist the cleaning rod. But last night I saw the button to push in and release the rod. I'll get a pic of it soon and post some measurements.
    I disassembled the bolt, cleaned it and measured the fire pin protrusion at about. .080".
    I also cleaned the rest of the metal w/o disassembling it. Took some Balistol to the stock and metal. Then took a shotgun brush to the Chamber just like I do with the Mosins to clean out any dust or crud in there.

I'll alert if I see any 7.7. I'm on the email lists for a few places but have 50 of the cases already coming in on Friday. Grafs has them for $51/100. Bullet, primer and powder will cost me about 50 cents a shot. I should have first loads ready for next week if weather permits.

I guess once I start researching another rifle, I need to keep an eye out on ammo for it from the beginning. Hind Sight is 20/20. This spring I passed up a "Last Ditch" T99 for $99 and saw 4 boxes of 7.7 for $13.

Need to keep an eye out for 6.5 Carcano ammo now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom