• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I'm picking up a Bersa T380MC Thunder Combat and I'm wondering if anyone experienced with the Thunder 380 platform has any tips or recommendations (apart from the sarcastic, "buy a different gun" variety).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a standard Bersa thunder in 380 and 22. Both shoot great. No issues with either. Awesome firearm for the money. I don't know anything about the combat models.
    I did lose the rear blade on the 380. One call to Bersa and I had a new one in a few days, free of charge.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Have a BT 380 in FDE. Fun little gun. I occasionally have failure to feeds with S&B RN FMJ. Maybe once per 3-4 mags. But FMJ RN/HP from Freedom Munitions have had no issues. All other HP brands have worked fine too. No mods on mine. Shoots POA to 25 yards (haven't tried further). I'm very happy with mine. Based on range time, fiancee is probably gonna decide it's hers somewhere down the line.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Have a BT 380 in FDE. Fun little gun. I occasionally have failure to feeds with S&B RN FMJ. Maybe once per 3-4 mags. But FMJ RN/HP from Freedom Munitions have had no issues. All other HP brands have worked fine too. No mods on mine. Shoots POA to 25 yards (haven't tried further). I'm very happy with mine. Based on range time, fiancee is probably gonna decide it's hers somewhere down the line.

I have a bunch of WWB and Fiocchi FMJ. The only defensive ammo I have in .380 is Federal Hydra-Shok. I'm hoping my wife will like this. She has a .32 S&W Long revolver. I have SJHP in that and it has a 7 round capacity, but I'd rather see her with a bit more powerful round and 8+1.

For those not familiar with this variant, here is a picture:
    80a871b29b25b265055da8e198a78e8a.jpg

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I have a bunch of WWB and Fiocchi FMJ. The only defensive ammo I have in .380 is Federal Hydra-Shok. I'm hoping my wife will like this. She has a .32 S&W Long revolver. I have SJHP in that and it has a 7 round capacity, but I'd rather see her with a bit more powerful round and 8+1.

My girl likes it a lot. Of course, she likes almost all of mine so it's not a perfect test case haha. For whatever reason, novice handgunners have noted it's a bit snappy. Limp wristing can cause failures to feed and make the snap more frustrating. Once I help people overcome that, they love it.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I've owned a Thunder 380, sold it to buy a Thunder 380 Plus (double-stack, 15rd .380), and also have a Thunder 9 Pro. Bersa firearms just don't get the respect that they deserve - they are actually very good handguns, especially at their price point. I'd carry any of my Bersas.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    My girl likes it a lot. Of course, she likes almost all of mine so it's not a perfect test case haha. For whatever reason, novice handgunners have noted it's a bit snappy. Limp wristing can cause failures to feed and make the snap more frustrating. Once I help people overcome that, they love it.

Unfortunately, a lot of .380s tend to be a little snappy since most of them are blowback designs, including the Bersa Thunder 380 series. Blowback pistols are more accurate because the barrel doesn't move on the frame, but because of that, perceived recoil tends to be greater than with locked breach designs.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Thanks for all of the input. Guys on YouTube like iraqveteran8888 and hickock45 speak well of Bersas, but I wanted some input from my MDS buddies.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    II carry my Thunder 380. Its like a Walther PPK but aluminum and better trigger. Its very light and mags are affordable. I think its a good choice

I own one, 14 yr old loves shooting it because it looks like a PPK.. wife likes shooting it because it fits her hand and handles well.... I like shooting it because its fairly accurate and fun...

Well north of 400 rounds through it, I can only think of a few malfunctions and they were magazine related (mec-gar additional capacity mags).

Actually thinking of getting another just because..

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    People love to rag on the bersas...but my buddy owns one and says its always been 100%. They're accurate little guns.

Sort of like Walther PPKs before S&W took over manufacturing.

Feb 22, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I dont own one yet, but I have handled and fired the Bersa 380. It isnt bad. It isnt great. It IS good. Functions 100% if maintained properly and used by an experienced shooter. Like all blowback semi-auto designs, proper grip is very important and weak grip (limpwristing) will cause a jam (FTE/stovepipe). If money isnt an issue, the Beretta Cheetah is smoother and more polished and seems to have been what the Thunder was modeled after. I plan to pick up a Bersa Thunder 380 as a trainer for students who want to step up from 22lr into a service caliber. However, once I get my W&C, I will likely pick up a Beretta Cheetah for cold weather carry.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

So I am going to be the guy that takes a dump on your umbrella and your probably wondering...........how did he get up there and why would he do that but we can discuss that in another thread!

If this is strictly a range toy then I say go ahead! While Bersa is no glock it will serve its intended purpose! If this is to be used as a nightstand gun then I 100% will tell you it's a bad idea!!!!!!!!! The blowback design, as stated above, is terrible for self defense. If not held stiffly and properly it is prone to failure to ejects and failure to feeds. Nothing ruins a gun fight faster then taking one sure scared shot only to find out the follow up shot won't work! I love my family's Walther PPk but would never carry it for self defense.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So I am going to be the guy that takes a dump on your umbrella and your probably wondering...........how did he get up there and why would he do that but we can discuss that in another thread!

If this is strictly a range toy then I say go ahead! While Bersa is no glock it will serve its intended purpose! If this is to be used as a nightstand gun then I 100% will tell you it's a bad idea!!!!!!!!! The blowback design, as stated above, is terrible for self defense. If not held stiffly and properly it is prone to failure to ejects and failure to feeds. Nothing ruins a gun fight faster then taking one sure scared shot only to find out the follow up shot won't work! I love my family's Walther PPk but would never carry it for self defense.

My nightstand gun is a Glock 23Gen4 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. I got this gun to use pre-purchase consultations so that I could show people a quality, affordable .380 with a great reputation. I'm also hoping that my wife will like it as a range gun.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    My nightstand gun is a Glock 23Gen4 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. I got this gun to use pre-purchase consultations so that I could show people a quality, affordable .380 with a great reputation. I'm also hoping that my wife will like it as a range gun.

Key words for me........as a range gun!!!

Then go ahead and you'll hear no more from me!

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Key words for me........as a range gun!!!

Then go ahead and you'll hear no more from me!

As we know, different guns serve different purposes. The challenge is choosing the right gun for the purpose. My target audience for recommending the Bersa is the newer shooter that is looking to develop a solid set of skills at the range to be able to defend. The blow-back design of the Bersa is as actually advantageous for that because, as you point out, if they limp wrist it, they will experience a failure. At the sub $300 price point, they will be able to afford a gun that is better suited for defensive situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom