• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    If you buy from a private party they can release after the 7 days.
    Well I am not so sure about that . According to MSP in golden ring I am not to release firearm until I get back paperwork? I asked him twice and questioned the seven day time frame, and I was that it could not be released under seven day wait. He said they are swamped . I told him to thank MOM for that .

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Well I am not so sure about that . According to MSP in golden ring I am not to release firearm until I get back paperwork? I asked him twice and questioned the seven day time frame, and I was that it could not be released under seven day wait. He said they are swamped . I told him to thank MOM for that .

He's wrong. It's some BS they are spewing to CYA.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    He's wrong. It's some BS they are spewing to CYA.
    Agreed. That is exactly the opposite of what I was emphatically told pre-super-panic. Might be confusing FFL guidance with individual guidance.

I get why the MSP is saying it - they don't want a flood of criminals buying guns by effectively dodging the background checks. That would be a ton of work by the retrieval unit when the apps came back disapproved. And I get why the FFLs play along on long guns - they don't want to spend days in court testifying about how they released a gun to a felon. (I agree that handguns cannot be released early.)

But I don't get why you'd play along as a private individual. You have no need for a NICS check, and MD law is super explicit about the seven day wait.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I once worked in the gun business for someone else back in the 80's.
    If I were today, there is no way I would release a regulated firearm without the returned paperwork. Seven days or thirty seven days.
    Gun dealers across the nation are being harassed as it is, and there is no sense in running the risk.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I once worked in the gun business for someone else back in the 80's.
    If I were today, there is no way I would release a regulated firearm without the returned paperwork. Seven days or thirty seven days.
    Gun dealers across the nation are being harassed as it is, and there is no sense in running the risk.

37 days would be a welcome improvement.

Faderhaus

Mar 11, 2013
    Now that the bill has passed the state legislature and is bound to be signed into law, is it time for FFLs to stop voluntarily waiting for MSP to do their jobs and give us our 7 day wait? I'm assuming the NICS checks are going through?

Just saw one IP post that he was out of space, and had to rent secure storage; Raising prices (and rightfully so) to accommodate the change. Too bad they can't send the invoice over to MSP or the state house.

This is an unfair burden on the FFLs and the consumers and will only get worse in the lead up to October. Open the floodgates; time for the month+ waits to end.

edit: :thumbsup: to Engage. Just saw that they are planning to follow the law w/ existing customer's that were recently not-disapproved.

"edit: :thumbsup: to Engage. Just saw that they are planning to follow the law w/ existing customer's that were recently not-disapproved."

Do you have a source for this?

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    "edit: :thumbsup: to Engage. Just saw that they are planning to follow the law w/ existing customer's that were recently not-disapproved."

Do you have a source for this?
    Engage is following the book, which is the ATF handbook for firearm dealers. So if they have submitted your app to MSP and have not heard back by COB on the 4th day, they are free to release it to you after the mandatory 7 day waiting period has expired. As stated, Engage is only doing this for previous customers who have already endured the staggering 2 month wait.

Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide: www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Page 55:
    § 478.102
    Sales or deliveries of firearms on and after November 30, 1998.
    (a) Background check. Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer (the licensee) shall not sell, deliver, or transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this part unless the licensee meets the following requirements:
    (1) Before the completion of the transfer, the licensee has contacted NICS;
    (2) (i) NICS informs the licensee that it has no information that receipt of the firearm by the transferee would be in violation of Federal or State law and provides the licensee with a unique identification number;
    or
    (ii) Three business days (meaning days on which State offices are open) have elapsed from the date the licensee contacted NICS and NICS has not notified the licensee that receipt of the firearm by the transferee would be in violation of law; and
    (3) The licensee verifies the identity of the transferee by examining the identification document presented in accordance with the provisions of § 478.124(c).

bangbangbye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2012
    just did a transfer at waterloo and they said they where 16K in the hole at the beginning of the month.

Ringmaster

Feb 9, 2013
    Howard County
    I'm going to Waterloo tomorrow. I thought maybe if someone was a designated collector having gone thru that process might be an indicator that he or she is OK.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    Actually, one of the new people MSP hired was to monitor these threads. Anyone who asks about jumping the line automatically gets moved to the end.

Sorry to everyone looking for a loophole.

I doubt that. They have more important things to do than monitor a bunch of people on an internet forum complaining about slow paperwork.

bangbangbye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2012
    i actually heard it slows you down. I was the only one on my page that was not "not disapproved". My page came back last week and i'm still the only one waiting. So much for being a collector and having bought a dozen guns in the last couple of months. Nothing skips you, in fact, i think the collector thing is slowing me down. Just passed 60 days on my .45.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I was told by three troopers that I was perfectly legal to release after 7 business days he asked that I wait 10 just in case. So that is what I'm doing with my lower I sold and what ill do with my ar if it sells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom