• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marginwalker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 11, 2010
    Maryland
    So 8% of the population gets 8.5% representation in the state Senate and congress. What is the problem with this?

Sales tax is collected be the state, why should 8% get more than 8%.

What am I missing?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    There are issues with doing something like that. Just one example, people who own home on both the western and eastern shores. If you are an "out of state" property owner of land/property in MD, now you have to pay an additional tax when you sell your MD property. Plus there are lots of people just over the bridge that work in Baltimore. This causes all kinds of income tax issues.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I grew up on the E.S.. This has been talked about since I was a kid, I'm now 46.

It was very popular when I grew up there in the 80's and early 90's, especially during the King Willy Don administration. The "Sh&thouse side of the Bay" comment made seccesion a very popular topic.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    They're looking at this in the wrong way.

The majority of the counties in this state should look at throwing P.G., and a handful of other sh**hole counties OUT. Maybe we could cede them to D.C., and create sort of an extended megalopolis "paradise for liberal democrats".

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008

The majority of the counties in this state should look at throwing P.G., and a handful of other sh**hole counties OUT. Maybe we could cede them to D.C., and create sort of an extended megalopolis "paradise for liberal democrats".

There ain't enough "+"s on the keyboard to signify my level of support for that statement. PG, Baltimore, and what the hell, most of MoCo can all become part of DC and leave the rest of md alone...

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    Can we down here in SOMD (St.Mary's Co. and maybe Calvert) go with the eastern Shore? Come to think of it, I like Half-Cocked's idea. Through PG, Baltimore, and Howard Co. out.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR

YES! Expel Balt. City, Monkey Co. and PeeGee and the I-95/BW Pkwy corridor (gotta keep em connected, natch) let them join with DC and grant them statehood.

So 8% of the population gets 8.5% representation in the state Senate and congress. What is the problem with this?

Sales tax is collected be the state, why should 8% get more than 8%.

What am I missing?

You aren't. In all honesty, regardless of whether secession or not, the Eastern Shore should only get what it makes.

It more relies on the fact that the folks on the Eastern Shore are subject to the thoughts and principles of those on the Western Shore because we really only receive 8% of representation.

An example of this fact is we are subject to screwy MD laws that seem to be made to avoid crime in places like Baltimore, yet are enforced in the farmland of the Eastern Shore with unintended consequence.

I would move across the bridge in a heart beat and never look back.

Since I have no clue about your starting point, this could be good or bad. :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I guess you're either joking or don't realize exactly where all that important revenue comes from. (Hint: western shore tourism)

It's true that a good amount of money comes from the Western Shore.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I guess you're either joking or don't realize exactly where all that important revenue comes from. (Hint: western shore tourism)

True enough. Funny how all the folks riding over the bridge on their commuter busses to come to work in Annapolis or in D.C. don't find their higher paying jobs on this side of the bridge so distasteful or oppressive. Of course in the name of independence they could always give up those jobs to work at the Cambridge Wal Mart. :innocent0

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Its not just the Eastern shore that gets hosed on tax money returning to the area. Baltimore city gets most of everyones and it don't contribute shit to our tax base. I say make Baltimore city its own like DC and let them fend for themselves. Either that or nuke it. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom