• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm gonna go get me one for the three gun match coming up. I can't seem to justify spending way too much, but would like recommendations on what I should get. I want an entry level shotty, nothing ridiculous. I think I should be fine with a pump, right? And for length - 20" should be fine, yes? I really don't know what I'm doing...but multi purpose will be good enough for me to go out and have fun.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Depending on your budget, I vote Mossberg 500 or 590. I have a 590 that I am quite fond of. They're available in a number of configurations. Find one that works for you.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    870 or 500 or 590.

Try them all side by side and pick whichever one feels right. "Feel" is the right word. All are equally valid answers to an shotgun problem. If you try to read every opinion on the internet about which gun is best, you'll go insane.

narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    870 or 500 or 590.

Try them all side by side and pick whichever one feels right. "Feel" is the right word. All are equally valid answers to an shotgun problem. If you try to read every opinion on the internet about which gun is best, you'll go insane.

Damn you!!

But you're right. I guess the question remains - will these be good for three gun matches?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    870 or 500 or 590.

I agree 100% with the above statement :thumbsup:

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    870 or 500 or 590.

This sir is the most intelligent thing Ive heard all day :thumbsup:

That said I have each of those listed and prefer the Mossbergs.

Or you can go old school with a 1887 Winchester lever or 1897 Winchester trench gun :D

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    my vote is the 590. you can swap any part in it and the 590 will take extended mag tube

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Hey, I have always wondered - would an Ithaca be outta place in 3-gun?? I am lefty, but I suppose I can make another setup work if need be.

The only reason I ask is because EVERYONE says 870 or 500/590....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is a thread around here somwhere that our resident gun smith Clandestine gives his reasons for buying the 590 over the 870.

I have an 870 and I'm happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom