• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 31, 2012
    Leading from thunderbolts causing keyholing.

I've searched the forums and found references to thunderbolts being problematic. I figured an easy to find post will make it more clear for people who encounter this problem.

Tonight I ran 200 rounds of thunderbolts through my tried and true SR22. The first 50 were fine and accurate. The second 50 were drifting off group. The third 50 were way off and looked like a shotgun. The fourth 50 were severely keyholing at 5 yards.

Here is why.

Attachments

• leaded.jpg
      leaded.jpg
      23.1 KB · Views: 1,224

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Pfft. Just keep on shooting. What's the worst that could happen?

Seriously, that's insane. No wonder I'm a CCI fanboy.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Leading

I had a similar problem with Remington 22 Target in my Ruger MKII. I unfortunately had purchased a case (5000) rounds of the stuff.
    dsc08054.jpg

dsc009836fu.jpg

I solved it by dipping the ammo in Lee Liquid Alox
    dsc08055p.jpg
    dsc08058l.jpg
    dsc08057u.jpg

After treatment, (allow it to dry overnight) these groups are shot off hand but the first mag and the 30th are similar in size with no key holing and no discernable leading in the barrel

The only drawback of this treatment is that it is messy and it does tend to goop up the magazines (which are easily cleaned)
    Having crappy 22 that you can save beats having no 22 at all.
    I have also come across a thread in which some one had enhanced the accuracy of Federal AutoMatch by dipping it in mink oil.
    Good luck with cleaning that barrel.
    DocAitch

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thunderbolts have the distinction of being the nastiest 22lr out there. In fact, I won't even shoot Remington or Winchester 22lr anymore - it's Federal or CCI for me.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thunderbolts have the distinction of being the nastiest 22lr out there. In fact, I won't even shoot Remington or Winchester 22lr anymore - it's Federal or CCI for me.
    I had a bunch of Winchester .22LR that was pretty terrible. I've finally shot up most of it, but prices over the last year have prevented me from buying anything else - I'm keep up a false hope that prices will recede a bit more.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I hear a lot of bad things about Thunderbolts. I shoot them often and have for years. I have never experienced a problem.
    So, you've never noticed that they're dirty, inconsistent, and seem to shoot sparks in the air from the unburned powder? :-P

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    So, you've never noticed that they're dirty, inconsistent, and seem to shoot sparks in the air from the unburned powder? :-P

Dirty, yes. Most .22LR is dirty. Inconsistent, no more so that other .22LR in the same price range. Shoot sparks, no. I have never seen that happen shooting Thunderbolts.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    No surprise there; ditto on the crowd. I have about 300 Rounds left out of an old Thunderbolt brick; the bullets are truncated.

They are greasy to the touch, and smell like hot grease when fired lol. I use Powder Blast right afterwards.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Lead removal.

Outers Foul Out.

Chore Boy Threads, 100% copper ones. wrapped on a brush. Google Chore Boy Lead Removal.

Ed's Red Bore Cleaner.

Kroil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom