• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I was at the range the other day and a guy there was using an auto with a modified slide lock. I asked about it and he said it was some sort of "thumb brake" that helped you to grip the gun properly. I wanted to check this out further but having trouble finding it. Anyone know what this was?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Did it look like this?

Rotate_360__10167.1689618021.jpg

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    GoGuns makes 'em for a bunch of different models. I see it as a crutch for poor grip.

I do wonder how you get a holster to fit if you're using one - unless it's just a range toy.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    GoGuns makes 'em for a bunch of different models. I see it as a crutch for poor grip.

I do wonder how you get a holster to fit if you're using one - unless it's just a range toy.

IIRC, the Gas Pedal first showed up on AR15(and M4). Invented by a former SEAL?

I agree, It's a crutch. I think it has legitimate applications for people who are only able shoot one-handed.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    IIRC, the Gas Pedal first showed up on AR15(and M4). Invented by a former SEAL?

I agree, It's a crutch. I think it has legitimate applications for people who are only able shoot one-handed.

Genuine question: If they are shooting one handed...how do they use it? They're generally mounted support hand side. Or am I missing something?

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I can't speak for semi-auto users but I do know there's a school where bending the strong hand thumb DOWN under the weak hand thumb, with a D/A revolver actually tightens the grip without increasing muscle strain.
    Maye this is what they're trying to do?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It's a piece of leather with a hole in it for controlling your level wind reel.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Genuine question: If they are shooting one handed...how do they use it? They're generally mounted support hand side. Or am I missing something?
    I was thinking, if you are shooting right handed, possibly your right thumb would have better purchase to help control muzzle flip. But at second glance, the doohickey is too far forward(made for support thumb) so not much help, after all.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I was thinking, if you are shooting right handed, possibly your right thumb would have better purchase to help control muzzle flip. But at second glance, the doohickey is too far forward(made for support thumb) so not much help, after all.

The guy that had it was explaining that it is used for a 2 handed stance. The supporting hand's thumb goes on this. He was showing that with a correct grip it nestled perfectly on the pad.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The guy that had it was explaining that it is used for a 2 handed stance. The supporting hand's thumb goes on this. He was showing that with a correct grip it nestled perfectly on the pad.
    Yup Yup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom