• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I received an email saying that the 1000 yard range at the Bridgeville range would be open Thursday morning for practice, so myself and two other 1000 yard newbies decided to see what it was all about.

We had a great time, with many thanks to FrankN and the other experienced 1K shooters that listened patiently to our foolishness (like “Where are the benches?” - news to me - 1000k shooters don’t need no stinkin’ benches) and helped us set-up, sight-in and guided us through the use of the cool electronic scoring system (targets and scoring can also be viewed online after the match).

I took two rifles and after 20 shots it was determined that despite adding MOA to my scope base I still did not have quite enough elevation to get the 6BR on target center. Both buddies were able to get their .308’s on target and shot multiple 20 shot strings. Fortunately I was able to get my 6.5x55 Swede on target and with light winds was able to shoot a nice 20 shot string on the F-Open target, all 10’s+ after the first two sighting-in shots. Great fun. This could be addicting . . .

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A quick google search says the holdover for a .308 at 1000 yards is around 30’ ? My inner Eddie Eagle freaks out a little over shooting like that. I know zero about long distance rifle shooting though.
    Sounds fun (and expensive) though.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    A quick google search says the holdover for a .308 at 1000 yards is around 30’ ? My inner Eddie Eagle freaks out a little over shooting like that. I know zero about long distance rifle shooting though.
    At that point, you're essentially "lobbing" bullets like mortar rounds.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I shot 1000yds once. I was not set up to do it correctly, I did get a hit on a 12" plate once out of 30 shots though. I now have 2 1000yd capable guns that I'd like to try out. Do you need to become a member or just sign up for the matches?

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Sounds like a great time. I would like to do that one day.

Can you share the 6.5 Swede setup? I load that for old Mauser and really like the cartridge. Often thought about getting a barrel for in it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    The first time you shoot 500+ yards, it's quite addicting. Peacemaker has some pretty good classes on Long Range shooting and effectively getting first hits on target. Their Frontier range is just awesome.

With a 175gr .308, shooting 2554fps the bullet goes transonic right under 1000 yards (don't have my kestrel to give you the exact) - but I've had good results shooting 1000 yards and in. ~70% hit ratio on a 16"x16" plate at 920 yards. I've attempted 1250 yards with the same setup, and that was a no bueno. Consistency is key. Cheers

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    You should see the absolute drop when we shoot a mile......with a .260

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Apparently the 1000 yard practice session yesterday at Bridgeville was a one-off situation held to allow a local shooter (sorry - I forget his name) some extra prep time as he will be heading to South Africa to compete.

My understanding is that on match weekends, the Friday practice sessions are free, and the matches are held on Saturday and Sunday. I believe the Friday sessions are open to non-members if they are signed in as guests of a member. As the electronic targets cost $7000 each, BRPC is likely to be somewhat selective regarding permitting non-members and newbies to shoot. They also shoot this class (F-1 and F-Open?) at 600 yards at BRPC as well. I would recommend contacting the range and Match Director in advance if you wish to try this at BRPC.

FYI - My 6.5x55 Swede is a full HV benchrest rifle, albeit quite dated (the barrelmaker and action maker are both no longer in business, it was chambered by a now deceased gunsmith before the 6.5 Creedmoor even existed). It shoots 140gr. Berger (moly) Hybrids seated slightly into the lands (which are going away) over 42.7 gr. H4350 with a BR-2 primer in Lapua cases. (Interestingly enough, this is the exact load my 6.5CM likes.) I have previously used H4831SC in the Swede, but found H4350 slightly better. It was shot from an old Bald Eagle front rest and a rabbit ear rear bag (apparently mechanical rear rests are not allowed). It shot well yesterday, but the wind was on the light side. There were guys shooting 10's and X's with IRON SIGHTS!

We were still sighting in the scope on shots 1 and 2 (see below), but once ~sighted in the gun shot well. It was very cool to shoot and see an instant image of shot placement and scoring on the tablet beside you, and to be able to go online later and see the targets and scoring info. I believe the F-Open target X-ring is 5" in diameter and the 10-ring 10".
    EslmUhk.jpg

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Darn good shooting, KRC.

The swede is still a viable option. It just requires that shooters handload. Member antco had a sweet Delta55 in the swede that I can testify is a shooter. One of my buddies runs a 6.5 Addiction that is a swede based wildcat. What you drive is less important than knowing how to drive it right.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    Do you need to be a member of this club to access the range? My business has one of our office locations in Georgetown and this is very very close.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Remember that 30ft is above the target out at 1,000 yards, you’re NOT aiming 30ft above your muzzle. The angle of your scope reticle to aim 30 ft above something that far away from you is only a few, minimal degrees inclination.

I think Eddie Eagle would forgive you.

Last edited:

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    "Yeah, I don’t see the .308 as a practical LR round. It’s like throwing rocks."

From the NRA F-Class Rules:
    FTR Class
    Calibre: .223” Remington or .308” Winchester, or their metric equivalents, only

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    "Yeah, I don’t see the .308 as a practical LR round. It’s like throwing rocks."

From the NRA F-Class Rules:
    FTR Class
    Calibre: .223” Remington or .308” Winchester, or their metric equivalents, only
    Oh, I know, people do it and do it well. It’s just a round that would never interest me for 1,000 yard shooting. Then again, at my age and condition, finding anything interesting is a challenge in itself

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom