• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    Hey 1911 folks,

I've been eyeing a "modern" 1911 for some time now, and a TRP (non-railed armory kote) popped up on my radar. And now of course, my lust is welling.

I've done some research (various websites and this forum) but I wanted to see if there are any specific insights any of you folks might have...

I know it has a full length guide rod that I may want to replace with a standard length one, and would like to employ 8-rounds mags - but that's about as far as I've gotten.

Any recommendations on 8-round mags? The usual suspects of Wilson or Chip McCormick?

Anything else you would consider replacing sooner then later? Any cheap parts that are prone to failure?

Any smithing work that should be considered? I've read multiple posts suggesting a trigger job...

Just trying to get my head around what I may be getting my self into...

Thx!

-BK

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Get gun, take home clean and inspect. Buy mags and ammo. Take shooting, repeat several times and After you put 500-1,000 rounds through it, decide if it needs a trigger job, not when it is brand new. The only thing that you should consider replacing before the 500 round mark are the grips. Do not replace anything else until you have shot the gun a good bit. Do not replace the full length recoil spring guide rod until you have put some rounds down range.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    mikec forwarded good advice. What you'll probably notice is excellent accuracy and reliability, a smooth trigger with a good 'roll' to it and a heft that says 'shoot me'. The only thing I did to my Trophy Match, which is the same gun with different sights, was shorten the hammer hooks on a jig to get a crisper trigger. I did sell it and regret it now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No reason to avoid one, my personal tastes run more to the Loaaded , but YMMV . Most of the time the trigger will be acceptable out of the box.Unless a particular pistol is total Lemon , put the proverbial several hundres rounds thru it. The gun will break in , in equal measure to your getting used to it.

On principle I prefer traditional guide rod , but as long as it's working you don't need to instantly replace.

Mc Cormac and Wilson mags are indeed good quality mags. Tripp Research mags are also extremely high quality . Agruably Virgil Tripp's follower design is even more better than Wilson's. I am Luddite enough to replace 8rd followers with Tripp 7rd followers & springs.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    It is a great pistol. The only down side for some is the 20lpi front strap. I like it but some find it too rough for their hands. I don't think you'll find a better 1911 until the $2000 mark.

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    Get it. I have a MC Operator and it is by far my favorite handgun. The TRP was out of my price range but I would have gotten one if I could have put together the scratch.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The only tool you need is a bushing wrench to remove FLGR. But you can even get the bushing out without one - just watch your drywall, and eyes :rolleyes:

In my 1911 the FLGR comes out easily during field strip- its no big deal at all.

Im not sure if the Springs are using a different set up, but Id imagine, most 1911 with FLGR are set up similar.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Whats the big issue with a full length guide rod ? I shoot a 1911 (not Springfield) with a full length guide rod, and have had nary an issue with it.

With some full length guide rod's, they are two piece and they can separate when you do not want them to. Also some do a press check a certain way and the full length rod inhibits that.

Oh, and JMB did not design it that way, so it IS evil.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^ I have heard only one valid argument against a one piece FLGR - and that is only on very high fitted multi $k bullseye pistols. Even then, there is a way around it.

mikec, I agree, that last argument is the lamest one yet.

To each their own. Both recoil systems work and have their place. I know I use both.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I have a TRP w/armory kote (about 9 months) and I like it so much I am hoping to buy another.

As previously discussed.

Front strap checkering is very sharp. Your hands build callous quick though. Took a two day class with it and it bothered me somewhat the first day. I expected it to be worse the second day but it didn't bother me at all.

I like the full length guide rod. I don't like the single piece full length though. Replaced with a two piece full length that comes out with an allen wrench.

I bought two Chip McCormick 8 round powermags. For some reason the TRP rarely will feed the last round from either of them. No such issue with my other SA 1911. I ran them in a friends Kimber and no such issue there either. I would recommend looking elsewhere.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    I've had a TRP for about 2 years now and absolutely love it. I have a Wilson Combat Classic and can say without hesitation the TRP is every bit the pistol the Wilson is for 1/2 the price. For me the aggressive checkering is a plus.

jwalker3181

Aspiring Zombie Hunter
    Sep 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    The only issue I have found is that you need a tool to remove them. For me its not a problem but some people don't like that.

I have a Wilson Combat FLGR and all I really need is a strong thumb:thumbup:

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I shot a TRP up at Hap Baker after talking to the guy shooting a one in the lane next to me. I didn't care for the grips at all and the trigger was much heavier than I expected it to be. I let the guy shoot my Kimber TLE II/RL that I had with me and he admitted the trigger was much better on the Kimber, I think he was actually a little disappointed. I didn't really get a chance to compare fit and finish between the two.

I'm not saying that Kimber makes a better gun than Springfield and frankly I really don't care either way as I'm not a 1911A1 fan, but the difference between the trigger on the two guns was significant.

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    my first full size gun was a Springfield TRP that i bought new for $1250...

I took it out of the box and shot a full day Carbine 1 course in VA. Not a hiccup and it has run that way ever since.

I've ditched the FLGR with a GI system that i bought from Ed Brown and thats it... I use Wilson ETM mags mostly (even though Brown 8-pack and Chip McCormick 10 round power plus mags also work.

I've since bought 4 other Springfield 1911s and all have been just as trouble free.

WARNING: If you get into the world of Springfield and the you like what you see, you WILL want a Professional model sooner or later... (ask me how i know)... ;)

My TRP is now my Project gun... It'll be visiting Rogers Precision as soon as Chuck has space for it... giggity.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    my first full size gun was a Springfield TRP that i bought new for $1250...

I took it out of the box and shot a full day Carbine 1 course in VA. Not a hiccup and it has run that way ever since.

I've ditched the FLGR with a GI system that i bought from Ed Brown and thats it... I use Wilson ETM mags mostly (even though Brown 8-pack and Chip McCormick 10 round power plus mags also work.

I've since bought 4 other Springfield 1911s and all have been just as trouble free.

WARNING: If you get into the world of Springfield and the you like what you see, you WILL want a Professional model sooner or later... (ask me how i know)... ;)

My TRP is now my Project gun... It'll be visiting Rogers Precision as soon as Chuck has space for it... giggity.

I hate you in the nicest way. :D Any idea when Chuck will have a slot? 2020?? 2030?

Are you going to have him go nuts on the gun or what? I know what several; of the guns on his site sold for and I can't ante up that money.

I am torn, probably next year I could cough up the $$$$ that some of Ted Yost's guns go for, but a couple of Chuck's guns went for even more.

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    I talked with Chuck not long ago and he told me to check back with him in 4-6 months... im getting married in a month so I dont know how the finances will be but given that im sure he'll have the pistol for at least a year, i can gather whatever money the job will require in that time.

I havent finalized my plans for Chuck on the TRP yet as i'd like to have his input on the project. I have a Professional so im not exactly looking for a combat ready 1911 but i do have some neat parts waiting for install... I also really like his golf ball treatment, but since i already have really nice 20lpi checkering on the TRP (as it came from Springfield) i dont feel the "need" to mess with that. I'd like to get a carry bevel on it and an maybe a BarSto barrel as i intend to carry and shoot the snot out of it...

I have 5 1911s and i really dont need that many... i'd be willing to part with one of my compacts and maybe, dare i say, my TRP champion that took me close to 2 years to track down... if it means getting a Rogers Precision custom in my safe ;)

Priorities hahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom