Thoughts on the Geissele Super Gas Block?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Previously, I have only ever cut down the front sight or used the [Noveske] gas block that came with the barrel.
    I am going to install a barrel [BCM 300BLK] that does not come with a gas block.
    Given Geissele's reputation and the design of the gas block, it looks like a pretty good unit. I really like that it has a pin in addition to set screws.
    Should I go with this, or just buy the BCM gas block, use Rocksett on the set screws and call it a day?

(Not interested in an adjustable gas block at this time.)

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    If you have the equipment/ability to cross-pin the gas block, it's definitely the most secure method. They're good gas blocks. If you don't want to use the pin, then either block will be fine.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If you are going to use the pin feature, I would take it to a gunsmith that has the necessary machinery to index and install it precisely instead of trying to "Harry Homeowner" it in place. Geissele is more expensive and adding the cost of a good smith to install the pin adds even more to the cost. Unless you are going to use the rifle in extreme conditions ( battlefield or duty) it is not really going to gain you anything. WOA has a less costly steel gas block that will work just fine.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Harry Homeowner? If one is going to the battlefield or on duty do they take care of the gunsmith work on their equipment? , just curious,, I have no idea but I would know my gunsmith very personally if heading to the front lines. I don't mean to derail the thread but good point on the install!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Geissele includes gas blocks with certain rails, and as a result, there are a ton of brand new Geissele gas blocks for sale on the ARCOM equipment exchange (their classifieds) at pretty decent prices.

I used a SLR Rifleworks clamp-on adjustable gas block on my 300 blk build, it is a really nice block but not cheap.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Geissele includes gas blocks with certain rails, and as a result, there are a ton of brand new Geissele gas blocks for sale on the ARCOM equipment exchange (their classifieds) at pretty decent prices.

I used a SLR Rifleworks clamp-on adjustable gas block on my 300 blk build, it is a really nice block but not cheap.

I'm about to buy another SLR today, 10% off I believe, since we are in the depot section.

Pitbull410

Aug 1, 2016
    I have one I got from their 50% off blem sale on 4th of July. Nice gas block but I only went for it cause it was half price. I didn't pin it, only set screws. If it wasn't half price I would've bought a different one probably.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Great gas blocks and not too hard to install with a hand drill, BUT its not easy or cheap to install on a barrel that was melonited. If you jave a melonited barrel I suggest clamp on or set screws only (hopefully covered by a rail to protect the gas block.

If you knsist on pinning it to a melonited barrel, you better buy some Carbide bits and several of them because melonited barrels suck to pin.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Great gas blocks and not too hard to install with a hand drill, BUT its not easy or cheap to install on a barrel that was melonited. If you jave a melonited barrel I suggest clamp on or set screws only (hopefully covered by a rail to protect the gas block.

If you knsist on pinning it to a melonited barrel, you better buy some Carbide bits and several of them because melonited barrels suck to pin.
    Thanks. I am pretty sure it's a phosphate finish. I don't think BCM applies a melonite finish to their 300BLK barrels.

I finally have my shop set up to the point where I was able to bring over my drill press. I'll be able to set it up to make a decent cut. I'll hit it with some cold blue for corrosion resistance.

I think once I get the gun set up and tested with the intended ammo types I will pin it. That way if I need an adjustable gas system I can change gas blocks and not have an ugly hole.

Do you mind if I send you my parts lists for these guns for review?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks. I am pretty sure it's a phosphate finish. I don't think BCM applies a melonite finish to their 300BLK barrels.

I finally have my shop set up to the point where I was able to bring over my drill press. I'll be able to set it up to make a decent cut. I'll hit it with some cold blue for corrosion resistance.

I think once I get the gun set up and tested with the intended ammo types I will pin it. That way if I need an adjustable gas system I can change gas blocks and not have an ugly hole.

Do you mind if I send you my parts lists for these guns for review?

Send them on over my friend. I be happy to offer some perspective.

BTW, great plan on not pinning the block yet.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo

Sold mine for ~$35 shipped. I would never pay more than that for the gas block Geissele ships with their rails (they list at $60ish).

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Of note: the G-block did not have a honed-to-fit tight fit on my BCM 300 barrel. Also, the G-block had two set screws and the barrel only has one dimple. Easy to add one with a drill press, but worth noting.
    I might try the BCM block that is honed post finishing.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Chad, just quoting you to expand on that with my personal experience in the build class. I think I owe you a drill bit...

Everybody else:

I can attest that he is speaking the truth. In the build class, it wasn't that I didn't believe him, I just had to learn and see for myself. What I was trying to do was just dimple the barrel for the set screws. I failed....

Well, Chad was right and I'm an a$$hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom