• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tanglebones

Jan 3, 2009
    Was looking at the Kel Tecs and am really intrigued by the fact that they are so freaking light. Anyone here have some experiences with it?

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    Neat folding option. Reliable. Sweetly priced.

But so are the AK and the Mini and they can both take a hell of a lot more punishment than an Su16.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I have an SU-22, which uses the same polymer frame as an SU-16. It's light and wonderfully compact, but it's also not very rugged in my opinion; for example, if you try to fold the receiver halves for storage with a magazine in the well, you can easily snap the lower receiver in half along the trigger guard and render the rifle inoperable. I've heard of durability complaints from other SU users (both 16 and 22) as well, but if you use it with these limitations in mind (i.e. treat it gently), they're fabulous lightweight rifles.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have been looking for a SU-16CA forever now. Frm what I found, great reviews, excellent customer service and warranty. Now, they aren't a tried and tested battle rifle, so keep it in mind. It's a lightweight sport rifle. Good for what it was designed for I hear.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    It's a lightweight sport rifle. Good for what it was designed for I hear.

Then you should be perfectly fine with it. Kel-Tec released a lower receiver option with a pistol grip and a mount for an AR-15 style shoulder stock and since then some people suddenly think it's an AR-15. It's not.

And ditto on the CA model. I've been eyeballing one for a while now, just been unable to justify the cost.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    I'm a keltec guy for their innovation/price point, but the SU16 just doesn't do it for me I suppose. The Sub2000/Sub2k do it for me, but the SU16 just seems to be borderline too high of price for what it's compared to and how substantial it feels.

I like the PLR16/22's, which are basically the same action with shorter barrels, but of course then you're comparing them to piston driven AR pistols in a sub 500 price point which doesn't have many comp sales.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Great little guns--accurate, lightweight and reliable. Get a C or better, it has a heavier barrel and better front sight.

Agreed with everyone that says the folding poly stock is a weak spot, you don't want to fall on it. But it locks up tight and works great if you aren't looking to abuse it. I feel they are a bit overpriced compared to other options in that cost range, but if you are looking for an ultralight handy rifle there really isn't anything else that comes close.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm a keltec guy for their innovation/price point, but the SU16 just doesn't do it for me I suppose. The Sub2000/Sub2k do it for me, but the SU16 just seems to be borderline too high of price for what it's compared to and how substantial it feels.
    I tend to agree with you. The SU-16C is pretty cool in that it folds and it's very light, but I feel as if the Sub-2000 does that better if you can tolerate 9mm. And there's always the slightly more expensive option I'm thinking about below...

I like the PLR16/22's, which are basically the same action with shorter barrels, but of course then you're comparing them to piston driven AR pistols in a sub 500 price point which doesn't have many comp sales.
    One of my upcoming projects is a PLR-16 SBR. I'm thinking an FSC556, a railed MI handguard, Troy Micro sights, and the pistol grip kit. Not entirely sure about the stock setup yet; I'm leaning towards an Enidine Shot Stock and an MOE, maybe using an ASAP for a single-point sling (MS2/MS3?).

dj_justice

Aug 29, 2011
    I am pretty interested in the SU-16c. What do they usually go for? I am going to try to pick one up at the gun show in Gettysburg with weekend.

Sirex