• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    They seem pretty affordable from Midway right now at $69.99 (missed out on $59.99 this weekend):

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...frame-kit-glock-17-17l-22-24-31-34-35-polymer

Anybody made one of these before?

More for the benefits of an 80% firearm and having a little weekend project as I already have an Glock 17. No metal rails I don't think but wouldn't be a primary shooter anyway. Plan to mill on my bench-top drill press slowly.

Any weird MD laws I should know about if I don't have my HQL? Other thoughts?

Thanks as always

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Obsolete, pass. The one you want is the newer style frame with the metal rear rails. The older one that is now on fire sale might be good as a lower for one of those Glock carbine uppers like a Mech Tech or something like that. As a pistol it's worth the extra cash for the newer style 80% frame.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I vaguely remember about the rear rails breaking in a G17 and giving unreliable full auto. Seemed like more of a liability than anything else.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    *reaching for dremmel* :lol2::lol2:

I'm not sure but I don't see why that would create a full auto situation.

16904633_10212397191594279_977789792580450173_o.jpg

17016102_10212397091791784_7538161508319051568_o.jpg

I can tell you in all honesty, mine went full rock and roll when that right rear rail sheared off. First it doubled a few times, likely before the rail fully let go - and then it dumped 8 rounds of .357 SIG in well under 3/4 of a second.

It was the most terrifyingly badass malfunction I've ever had with a handgun. :D

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I will be milling mine tomorrow. It was cheap enough to make it worth trying. Getting mags is a pain, but I will get some 17's.

I hope mine turns out better than some I have seen. From what I have learned, it is best to machine it carefully and not remove too much material.
    Finishing it carefully, by hand should result in solid rear rails.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've solved the problem of taking too much off the rear rails on the 17 frames. And it's a simple fix - you fit the 19 rear rail module into it instead.

20170501_182447.jpg

20170501_182454.jpg

**It works for me, since I have multiple frames on hand, so I can just swap stuff around as the mood hits me. And it's really not that difficult to fit the 19 rail module into the 17 frame.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I've solved the problem of taking too much off the rear rails on the 17 frames. And it's a simple fix - you fit the 19 rear rail module into it instead.

View attachment 206847

View attachment 206848

**It works for me, since I have multiple frames on hand, so I can just swap stuff around as the mood hits me. And it's really not that difficult to fit the 19 rail module into the 17 frame.

How do you drill the hole for the rear rails in the 17 frame? Does the 19 jig work?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Mine turned out well. Take your time while milling. The material is soft enough to work with a file for final fitting of the slide. I milled the rear rails being careful not to cut into the jig with the supplied bit.

When I went to fit the slide, it would not fit over the rear rails until I finished cutting the grooves a little deeper with a file. As soon as the slide would fit tightly onto the rear rails, I wrapped my file in sandpaper and smoothed the grooves just a little. The slide still fit snugly, but moved freely as intended.

I test fired the gun and it cycled perfectly in my 3 shot test. Very please with the finished product!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    How do you drill the hole for the rear rails in the 17 frame? Does the 19 jig work?

Use the 17 jig, but with the 19's bit that came with the kit. It actually worked out pretty well or me, and I went true durka-durka on the test frame - only used a dremel with a milling bit and a MAPP gas torch to fit the rear rail module into the 17 frame. :D

*Sorry about the late reply, I've been out of country for the past week.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Decided to pull the trigger today with their free shipping discount, and now its back up to $150.

Guess this one will have to wait.

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm going to try to pick one up as project, not a first line firearms.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The 19 (aka 19/31/32 Hybrid) has performed well for me so far.

I'm at exactly 1450 rounds spent, with only a small number of malfunctions (all FTE's - didn't kick the brass all the way out). And that's with 0 cleaning, literally. I just add a little grease to the rails and let her eat some more.

Wouldn't say I'm ready to use it as a carry/hd piece yet, but I'm gaining some confidence that it'll last a while.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I test fired almost 100 rounds yesterday through my completed 19 (pf940c). Not one failure.

I'll be taking it with me on range trip from now on to put some more rounds through it.

I'm interested in how the rear pin on the locking block holds up. I'm not worried about the rails since the 19 comes with metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom