• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Price says $340, condition described as "good". I've wanted one for a while now, mainly because of the cool design of the rifle, but also as a big FU to O"Malley with the grenade launcher on the front.

What do you think? Good deal, or get a chicom one from classic? These have been on the SOG site for a while now which is what has made me curious.

Anyone else have one of this batch? Thoughts on actual condition vs described? For the price, should I hold out for something better condition? Let me know, thanks!

http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns-2/surplus-longguns/yugo-sks-m59-66-7-62x39.html

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Looks like they're $360, plus $10 for handpick if you want it. Personally, I would expect near excellent condition for that price. Although I have seen ones in excellent condition at local shops on the $500 range, so maybe that is a good price. The Chicoms are better rifles, but these were probably better cared for and should be in better condition than Classic's.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Looks like they're $360, plus $10 for handpick if you want it. Personally, I would expect near excellent condition for that price. Although I have seen ones in excellent condition at local shops on the $500 range, so maybe that is a good price. The Chicoms are better rifles, but these were probably better cared for and should be in better condition than Classic's.

+1 on this. The Yugos will probably be nicer. Personally I'd go for a Chicom. There's a lot more history behind those rifles, if that matters to you. Also, a few people ended up getting legit Russian SKS' from classic, so there's always that possibility.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. The 03 FFL allows us to register as a dealer and check their firearms inventory, right?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    +1 on this. The Yugos will probably be nicer. Personally I'd go for a Chicom. There's a lot more history behind those rifles, if that matters to you. Also, a few people ended up getting legit Russian SKS' from classic, so there's always that possibility.

Yeah, history does matter a lot to me, especially if I can get some trench art with the hand pick/matching numbers. A nice stock is great, but a good shooter and history is more important IMO.

Are there any other C&R guns with the grenade launcher?

Thanks for the help!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. The 03 FFL allows us to register as a dealer and check their firearms inventory, right?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Correct. You can also have stuff shipped from them to an FFL01 if you are registered as a C&R holder. That's how I got my P-83.

Runamuck

Jul 20, 2013
    Check out Allans Armory, I have never personally dealt with them, but they have some SKS, you can see the gun you are buying, and prices don't seem bad either.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Yeah, history does matter a lot to me, especially if I can get some trench art with the hand pick/matching numbers. A nice stock is great, but a good shooter and history is more important IMO.

Are there any other C&R guns with the grenade launcher?

Thanks for the help!

I'd go with the Type 56 if the historical aspect is important. They're very well built and will have good bores even if the outside finish isn't great. Im not sure there are any C&R guns with a built in launcher like the Yugos, but there are several rifles that you can buy launchers for.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Does anybody have one of these from SOG? If so please post a pic. I just ordered one with handpick today.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Does anybody have one of these from SOG? If so please post a pic. I just ordered one with handpick today.

If you don't get any bites, sometimes you can turn up recent pics from certain retailers with a google image search... I did that to see current examples of the CZ50's at SOG and that's how I found this forum, actually...

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Hi cap, when you get the rifle please post pictures. I have considered ordering one too.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    I ordered a Chinese SKS (handpick) and a Mosin from SOG a week ago. They were my first C&R purchases and my first SOG purchases. I have to say that my initial impression is that I am happier with the Mosin (1932 Izzy hex receiver all numbers matching) than I am with the SKS. As much as I can tell, the SKS is a ghost number with a pretty rough (O.K. really rough) stock that was probably altered by the importer (the receiver cover doesn't match) in order to bring it into the US. I've only cleaned the cosomoline enough to find the numbers and was not planning on a thorough cleaning for a while.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Hi cap, when you get the rifle please post pictures. I have considered ordering one too.

Just had enough time to unbox on my lunch break. All metal parts looked in really good condition, let's see what happens when I take the stock off. The stock is another story, pretty beat up. One crack by the rear of the receiver, this is with handpick option. Not going to send back as this is the first C&R purchase that I received. What's the best way to repair the crack? I was just going to clean the stock and fix with clear epoxy, is that a good method?

And now for the pics:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 193

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Hicap, for what they charged with handpick, you should call and complain. That can likely be repaired easily, but they did not sell it as cracked stock. At least get them to take some cash off the price.

Otherwise, it looks nice. Much darker than I am used to for Yugo SKS's. How is the bore? They do not have chromed barrels, and the Yugoslavians used corrosive ammo (I think).

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I don't ever get the handpick from SOG. I don't know what it is but every gun I have ordered from them has been cherry without it. Yet I see so many complaints from guys who added the handpick option. I dunno........

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    That's not at all what I expected it to look like for the price. But I don't think it's a bad deal, as it's still less than you'd pay retail somewhere. Sucks about the crack, i'd mention it to them since you paid for handpick.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I really like the rifle but every time I look at it all I see is the crack. It's too bad because all the metal parts are in great condition and the bore looks good with strong rifling.

So after contemplating it, I just emailed them about the problem since they are closed on the weekend. If I get no response I'll call them monday afternoon.

Has anybody ever returned a firearm to them? Do they just forward me a return shipping label and my local UPS driver will just pick it up? Or do I have to bring it to a UPS shipping center?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom