• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I just got off the phone with WMD guns and they replied that the NB plating does not have any copper in it. They also said they too use Balistol without a problem and let me know that if the coating comes off for any reason they will re coat for the life time of the item. Balistol it is.

Thanks - just mixed a batch of 50/50 in a spray bottle :party29:

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Ballistol is primarily mineral oil with some solvents, and is good for some things but not others. For example, if you have a decorative piece, it'll pull off gold or silver leaf. Also, nickel-plated firearms should not be cleaned with anything that is a copper remover, because there is a layer of copper under the nickel plate. Any imperfections in the nickel will allow the solvent to seep through (especially if left on for a while), eat the copper, and the nickel will flake.

Please provide a link to wherever you read about Ballistol removing gold and silver leaf, and damaging copper. I've used it for years on more metal things than I can recall, and it's never done anything like that.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    I just got off the phone with WMD guns and they replied that the NB plating does not have any copper in it. They also said they too use Balistol without a problem and let me know that if the coating comes off for any reason they will re coat for the life time of the item. Balistol it is.

Right on. The nickel-boron application process is "electroless plating," which is technically a chemical deposition process, which adheres directly to the substrate (in this case, the steel BCG). There are several ways to do it, each company has a slightly different process. But no there shouldn't be any copper involved in any of the cases.

A nickel or chome plating process typically requires a base layer (usually copper) and is driven by current through a medium to deposit the plating material.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Here's what the MSDS says:
    Ballistol is fully compatible with all metals including aluminum. However, Ballistol dissolves traces of copper, zinc, lead and tombac and can, therefore, be used to clean brass, bronze and silver.

More to the point (NSFW, cursing):

Cutting to the chase, use straight mineral oil for nickel plating, gold leaf, and silver leaf.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    It's not the nickel plating itself. It's the thin layer of copper plating underneath the nickel. If the nickel plating has any imperfections, Ballistol will get through, dissolve the copper underneath, and eventually cause the nickel plating to flake.

Yeah that makes sense. That and the video will keep me from using ballistol on my plated guns.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Interesting, the video takes seven minutes to repeat exactly what I said in three sentences, based off the MSDS and a little knowledge of chemistry.

A copper solvent.... will dissolve copper! Brilliant!!

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Directions on can say to mix it 10/1 with water for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo. Full strength for all other applications.

That's an interesting answer. I wonder if you can use 10/1 concentration for cleaning up power fouling. Will the oils in Ballistol protect when the water evaporates.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Order it from Midway, Brownell's, etc. Get the can with the pour top, and pour it into a little squirt bottle to make it easier to use. A small dishwashing liquid squirt bottle is perfect for this. You can dispense a few drops on a patch or brush, or squirt some on your rag.

Ballistol smells like rancid cheese to me...but it does work really well. It's called Armistol across the pond. Everyone calls it "BAL-lis-tol," but the proper pronunciation is "buh-LIS-tol" (like 'ballistic').

Booker's warning above about it dissolving copper is spot on. It's mildly acidic, and it will cause nickel or other plating to flake if left on the metal. It won't harm bluing or stainless steel.

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    I still use Breakfree CLP on my handguns because it's mostly odorless. But, on my AR I use Ballistol for the rumored residual lubrication. Hickok45 likens it to an old skillet that has a base layer of grease compared to a new one. I dunno, time will tell... clearly Hickok45 doesn't have a problem with the smell and he seems to carry whenever he's not working.

This reminds me, I need to clean my pistol from my range day last week.

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    I still use Breakfree CLP on my handguns because it's mostly odorless. But, on my AR I use Ballistol for the rumored residual lubrication. Hickok45 likens it to an old skillet that has a base layer of grease compared to a new one. I dunno, time will tell... clearly Hickok45 doesn't have a problem with the smell and he seems to carry whenever he's not working.

This reminds me, I need to clean my pistol from my range day last week.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Booker's warning above about it dissolving copper is spot on. It's mildly acidic, and it will cause nickel or other plating to flake if left on the metal. It won't harm bluing or stainless steel.

According to everything I've read, it's mildly alkaline, which is exactly the opposite of acidic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom