• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I can't fire a rifle with one hand. Inside a house, cqb is tough doing it alone. I need to be able to use my left hand to do things, open doors, grab things, support myself for balance, etc...
    Carry a safe and empty ar around with you in the house for practice. You'll see just how cumbersome it really is.

But nobody without training needs to be doing that. Hunker down behind a locked door, 911 on the line, weapon pointed at the door. Only come out when you are certain the good guys have arrived and instructed you to come out. With your background you could move around but some recreational shooter/average Joe is gonna get themselves ventilated if they try to play Splinter Cell: The Home Game.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    True . Two points brought up in this thread, this ^^ and being wide awake when 'it' happens in the middle of the night. The issue is we can't call for help every time something doesn't seem right. I've experienced those sounds once each at two residences sounded as if someone was inside. Both times I got the house gun and waited. Then swept the house slowly, cautiously, lighting each room. Stairwells really concerned me. Anyway, the potato bag that toppled over on both occasions sounded just like a person in the dwelling. I felt very confident with the handgun. I felt miniscule sweeping the premises. And that free hand did help immensely....

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I think the AR is the perfect weapon for Civil Defense, Home Defense. I utilize
    a multi level threat policy.

1)..If I need a weapon INSIDE my home, my .45 1911 is my choice.
    2)..Anything outside, beyond my front door, my AR is my choice.

One of my concerns is civil disorder. I can for see a time when there will be
    roving gangs of "Youts" swarming over everyone's neighborhoods and property.
    Such was the case during the Ballmer Shitty riots in '68 and more recently in
    Ballmer in Apr '15. During these times you WILL WANT some type of light, fast handling, accurate, high capacity ( and rate of fire ) carbine.

I'm comfortable with using birdshot because of the close range, inside the home pretty much my target would be no more than 15-20 feet away, and at such a short distance, the shot does not have the distance to spread much. Birdshot is devastating at close range, especially with a full choke

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    How are your door locks and security system? Have a dog that's a light sleeper? How much good quality training do you have with your chosen weapons?

I love these questions, it makes me re-evaluate my life. I have a cat for protection.

souprcampbell

Jul 5, 2014
    Middletown
    A bit of scientific research may be helpful. I suggest looking up Doctor Gary K. Roberts (DocGKR is his common handle for several related forums) for an expert analysis of ballistics for duty/defensive uses. The answers to almost all of the questions and speculation are covered in much of his publicly posted material. Fascinating information, and consistent ballistics gel testing combined with good photos for comparison.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Home construction varies. I suggest examining how yours is built, then constructing a few mock wall segments and taking them out to a range to put 'Common knowledge' to your own test. If you are willing to put a grand or more into home defense tools, it seems to me it would be worth your while to put a couple hundred bucks into seeing what might happen to your home during that defense.

Also, try to realistically assess your potential scenarios. Most of us are far more likely to have a local kid busting in to grab something he can quickly convert into drug money, and far less likely to run into a Central American hit squad in full combat gear.

Most of us. Your situation, like your homes construction, may vary.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    few points to rebuke for anyone who is just chiming in;

1. do not keep a handgun under your pillow. you need to know exactly where the gun is and at what angle it lays. that would be akin to carrying a gun buried somewhere in your backpack.

2. Blaster has a great point. can you accurately fire and operate your gun with one hand? doors, lights, dogs, etc.. make this a valid point.

3. penetration all has to do with your particular house and surroundings. live in a townhouse that was built by gypsies? probably don't want to shoot anything at the walls. live in a brick house in the country?

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    My take: 1). If I have to clear my house after hearing a bump in the night, I use a handgun (BTDT).

2). If I'm really worried and I can hear someone lurking in my house, I would probably hole up in my BR with the missuz , get on the horn to the police and cover the BR door with an AR. Then wait for the cavalry.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    My take: 1). If I have to clear my house after hearing a bump in the night, I use a handgun (BTDT).

2). If I'm really worried and I can hear someone lurking in my house, I would probably hole up in my BR with the missuz , get on the horn to the police and cover the BR door with an AR. Then wait for the cavalry.

My current strategy exactly. Although I will only go "clear the house" with my pistol if I'm pretty sure no one is there anymore. Otherwise, your point number 2 applies in the master bedroom (but I'll be using my mini 14 not my AR).

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Unless you've got a tac team with you, I would not try to clear your house alone. Instead, ring 911, shelter everyone in your safe (or safest) room and arm yourself with the shotgun or rifle of your choice and wait for the troops to arrive. If an attacker breaches your safe room door, let 'em have it....and tell LE you wanna sign the complaint.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    To answer the original question, I'm 100% in favor of an AR for home defense provided you practice and drill every possible scenario. Multiple times. However, don't just rely on a gun as part of you defense prep. Think layers. Can someone approach your house without you knowing? How well lit is the area around your house? Do you have an alarm system that is armed when you're home? Do you have some kind of self defense tool staged in the areas where you spend most of your time? Is everyone in the house aware of your intruder plan? Have you done drills?
    I was fortunate enough to take a class with Travis Haley this Spring. Even though it had nothing with home defense, we had a few discussions about it during down time. He runs an outstanding course near his office in AZ called Castle. If you can go, I highly recommend it. All of this is covered in Castle, and our short talks really got me thinking. One technique that I implemented as soon as I got home had to do with my kids. We have 3 kids, small twins and a 5 year old. Both rooms must have a working night light, and the doors stay shut at night. No exceptions. If I'm woken up at night, the first thing I do is quickly glance down the hall. If I see light from their rooms, I'll know there's a problem. Most likely, the older one is up and wandering around, but that's good info to have if I'm clearing the house.
    Last thing...someone mentioned practicing getting woken up. I'm stoopid when I first get up, despite many years in the military when I had to be up and doing critical tasks in minutes. I have my wife startle me awake every now and then to combat this. If you're a heavy sleeper, have someone wake you up and tell you there's someone in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom