• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Not sure about you but I expect the final bill to be full of ambiguity when it's all said and done (purposefully IMO). There are VERY experienced & helpful people on this forum, but let's face it...none of these threads should be considered to be legal advice you'd bet your freedom or bank account on.

Has anyone thought about lining up suitable representation to discuss the final product.....or at least have a number to call should we get wrapped up in some technicality of the bill? Let's say I'm pulled over with a legitimately grandfathered rifle: I know enough to not spend a lot of time talking to the police [see below]. I'd like to be on the phone with my counsel before they can confiscate/melt down the darn thing. Here in Montgomery County, they'd treat me worse than an actual criminal.

So I'd love any thoughts / recommendations you have on counsel. The MSI crew would probably know some 2A studs in the state.

This video is long but very entertaining/insightful. If you do nothing else, I highly recommend watching it.

MarylandDave

Nov 24, 2010
    PRM / HoCo
    I'm interested in this too and was thinking about this last week. As a life long MD resident and law abiding gun owner who has ZERO intention of complying, it would be good to have a 2A friendly attorney's number on speed dial should an incident come up.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I'm interested in this too and was thinking about this last week. As a life long MD resident and law abiding gun owner who has ZERO intention of complying, it would be good to have a 2A friendly attorney's number on speed dial should an incident come up.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking about counsel. 25 views and crickets til you chimed in.

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    lawyer

im interested as well. would be great to have that number stored in my phone, just in case

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    I was just going over with the wife a few hours ago about never talking to the police or letting them in the house without a warrant.

I need to get a lawyer on speed dial though

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I was just going over with the wife a few hours ago about never talking to the police or letting them in the house without a warrant.

I need to get a lawyer on speed dial though

That's what I'm thinking. Even if I never spend a dime before the SHTF...at least I'd know who to call. Someone who knows the pertinent law well.

Can you imagine sitting on the side of beltway calling your wife saying "honey, find a good 2A attorney ASAP!"?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I was given the card of a attorney who specializes in gun rights the last time I was at Freestate. I'll try to find it and post his info here.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    I would highly recommend that people learn what their rights are (in all ways) as if you don't know what they are, you may not realize when you consent to something. We all need to know when to say 'no' and how to object and be able to do it with knowledge and conviction even when being legally attacked unlawfully. The principle concepts of law are not that hard to understand and much of it is common sense.

I have learned a lot from this group: http://www.westudylaw.org

They have Thursday calls at 10pm ET and you can listen to past calls where they will give you the passwords and access codes to get into the documents hosted on the site. You maybe surprised at some of the claims being made however they are actually winning i court.

You can always listen to the last call by dialing the replay number: 1-805-399-1099 code 267451#. (1-805-399-1000 is for the live call) Once you have to code to the website you can listen to previous calls. These guys do it as a mission and work on donations. Their goal is to empower the people so as not to be screwed by the system. The idea is for you to learn the law within a group setting. As people have found what works in many parts of the country, much of it can be used then locally. One thing they have found, is that for the most parts, state courts tend to ignore the constitution and bill of rights, and ultimately you have to work towards federal court where those tend to be respected.

They also hold 2 1/2 day seminars around the country with a recommended donation (usually about $200 to help defray the costs) which is the best way to get big jump in the learning. They had one in Baltimore about a year ago which I attended and started my learning. I now this family personally now and they are legit.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Great video and very sound advice. All it takes is for you to say 1 wrong thing or for you to let them into you house and they see something, oh lets say a .308 shell that was turned into a pen, BAM, he says he saw ammo laying around your house to a judge...............

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yep, I am glad I am an attorney. Not trying to drum up business here, but I thoroughly believe that going hunting and fishing nowadays is tough because of the myriad of laws involved with them. Same is going to be the case with just owning a gun now. I know a lot of hunters and have done a decent amount of DNR violations. A couple of weeks ago, a judge in Frederick was talking about throwing my client in jail for shooting at a deer at night. I was rather shocked that she viewed the offense that seriously.

Used to live in Montgomery County. Raised in Silver Spring and then moved to Germantown to raise my own family. Did not take long to realize that Germantown wasn't the right place to raise a family (e.g., gang signs on condo complexes, school ratings that weren't the best, politics). So, now I am in western Howard County. Hope I last long enough here for the kids to finish public school. Might have to stick around for college too, but we shall see.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Yep, I am glad I am an attorney. Not trying to drum up business here, but I thoroughly believe that going hunting and fishing nowadays is tough because of the myriad of laws involved with them. Same is going to be the case with just owning a gun now. I know a lot of hunters and have done a decent amount of DNR violations. A couple of weeks ago, a judge in Frederick was talking about throwing my client in jail for shooting at a deer at night. I was rather shocked that she viewed the offense that seriously.

Used to live in Montgomery County. Raised in Silver Spring and then moved to Germantown to raise my own family. Did not take long to realize that Germantown wasn't the right place to raise a family (e.g., gang signs on condo complexes, school ratings that weren't the best, politics). So, now I am in western Howard County. Hope I last long enough here for the kids to finish public school. Might have to stick around for college too, but we shall see.

We should set up an "Industry Partners" section for law firms! Hey, it used to be dealer connection....industry partners is pretty broad.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Its good to know your rights but also make a fiduciary relationship with an attorney through a retainer. This is how I understand how this works but please correct me if I am wrong.
    I also made a mistake on an obtuse hunting regulation. I got PBJ for one day which will soon be expunged. I provided the court with evidence I made a good faith effort to follow the regulations and I relied on the DNR incomplete reporting of the regulations for that area. I wish I had an attorney to get it thrown out instead of being unsure of my defense and taking PBJ. I could not afford representation at the time and no public defender for minor infractions. This was important to me as I consider myself an ethical hunter who follows the proscribed management regulations.
    I don't intend to comply with SB281 by not buying after the law goes into effect. I will resume buying after it is struck down or I move to a better state. A sort of passive resistance if you will.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    A word on that video. Just know that evidence against and in SUPPORT of you depreciates rapidly after an event takes place. If you decide not to say anything, you're opening yourself up to losing evidence supporting your side. If someone shot at you before you were forced to eliminate the threat, you may want to point the police in the direction of fired shell casings from the threat's gun before they wander off somewhere. You may not want to give an account of the events till your lawyers is there, but it could be helpful to keep the LEO's doing an investigation from missing things that support your series of events.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    A word on that video. Just know that evidence against and in SUPPORT of you depreciates rapidly after an event takes place. If you decide not to say anything, you're opening yourself up to losing evidence supporting your side. If someone shot at you before you were forced to eliminate the threat, you may want to point the police in the direction of fired shell casings from the threat's gun before they wander off somewhere. You may not want to give an account of the events till your lawyers is there, but it could be helpful to keep the LEO's doing an investigation from missing things that support your series of events.

Yep, but you can have your attorney doing all the talking with the police regarding where they should be looking for evidence that supports your case. The lawyer does not have to give the police your account of the matter in giving the police information of where evidence can be found.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011

That sounds reasonable but its another reason to have a number on my phone. I could call and get that advice. Hopefully we're only going to have to worry about less-live issues like possession or transport of something like my example in OP.

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD

True except if you go right home and write down everything that happened on paper (concentrating specifically on the facts, leave out opinion, conjecture, conclusions etc). e.g. on this day at this time I was at this location. I was approached etc and so and so said this and I said this and this happened. Then if you know how (not very hard to do) or the help of an attorney, you then create an affidavit of facts but you keep it until needed. That affidavit is then extremely powerful. First you wrote it from notes that you took right after the event so the facts are fresh in your mind, second an affidavit is done under the penalty of perjury, and third, once it's been out there for 30 days and not rebutted, it becomes very strong evidence.

My personal recommendation is that whenever something out of the ordinary happens in your life in terms of unusual encounters, is to always go through that process of writing all the facts down on paper. Later if you need it, it can always be converted to an affidavit.

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense.

Anything you say can and will be used against you

not for you...

against you

keep your mouth shut

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads