• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • michael@

Nov 28, 2012
    Hampstead, MD
    I’ve been approached by a family friend to buy this firearm. Back story - dad who owned the gun passed away, and mom wants to sell the gun. Paperwork in Fads name, mom has power of attorney. Is there a legal way for me to buy the gun and take possession if she can’t go to a class 3 dealer to do the paperwork? Or is there a gun shop that would help? And what’s this thing worth? There is a stock and several mags along with it. Thx!

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpeg
      IMG_1560.jpeg
      445.9 KB · Views: 375

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Might be the most epic first post/picture .....

No foot, but in this case it should be allowed.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Take a gander here. Don't cheap out on the widow. Unless you've got a C&R FFL the transfer has to go through a Class 3 Dealer. If you've got a C&R FFL the transfer can be direct from her to you, after the ATF collects their $200 cut and approves the transfer. Ignore the mis-named link title.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I’ll give you $50 for it. It’s old and obsolete. Shoots a big heavy slow round.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Call Vince at Duffys. You need to transfer this properly. He would know what and how to doit right.
    I believe the Tommy is worth upwards of $40K.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I’ve been approached by a family friend to buy this firearm. Back story - dad who owned the gun passed away, and mom wants to sell the gun. Paperwork in Fads name, mom has power of attorney. Is there a legal way for me to buy the gun and take possession if she can’t go to a class 3 dealer to do the paperwork? Or is there a gun shop that would help? And what’s this thing worth? There is a stock and several mags along with it. Thx!

With the gun in the Fathers name and mom with POA, then it can be transferred directly from the Estate to the new owner if the new owner is in state. No dealer needed and actually it would be quicker without one. Now if its out of state, the Mother would have to transfer it to the out of state dealer. Now if the gun is C&R then it can transfer out of state directly to C&R license holder. That would be cheaper then an out of state dealer too! No reason to have an instate dealer at all. If you are in the same state, then the mother just needs to fill out a Form 4 from the estate to you. She will probably need a copy of the death Cert and she should be able to sign the form as POA. Do not call local ATF, they are worthless. Call the ATF NFA branch in WV and they can walk you through the details. ATF will help filling out the form but thats easy. Take the current form and copy everything except who its going to and from.

Worth... well... We are assuming its registered. In that case, it depends on who made it? Is it a West Hurley gun? THen about $20K, Savage or BridgePort? $25-$30K. Colt... $40K++ We would need more info. Looks parkerized to me which is probably not correct, so subtract value. Is it reactivated, again, less money. Was it ever rewelded? If so then much less. Low end is about $15K if it has some issues and is rewelded up to $50K+ for a colt. Take pictures of the left and right side of the gun where the writing is and look for any damage around the barrel/receiver connection. Is it Parked or blued?

michael@

Nov 28, 2012
    Hampstead, MD
    With the gun in the Fathers name and mom with POA, then it can be transferred directly from the Estate to the new owner if the new owner is in state. No dealer needed and actually it would be quicker without one. Now if its out of state, the Mother would have to transfer it to the out of state dealer. Now if the gun is C&R then it can transfer out of state directly to C&R license holder. That would be cheaper then an out of state dealer too! No reason to have an instate dealer at all. If you are in the same state, then the mother just needs to fill out a Form 4 from the estate to you. She will probably need a copy of the death Cert and she should be able to sign the form as POA. Do not call local ATF, they are worthless. Call the ATF NFA branch in WV and they can walk you through the details. ATF will help filling out the form but thats easy. Take the current form and copy everything except who its going to and from.

Worth... well... We are assuming its registered. In that case, it depends on who made it? Is it a West Hurley gun? THen about $20K, Savage or BridgePort? $25-$30K. Colt... $40K++ We would need more info. Looks parkerized to me which is probably not correct, so subtract value. Is it reactivated, again, less money. Was it ever rewelded? If so then much less. Low end is about $15K if it has some issues and is rewelded up to $50K+ for a colt. Take pictures of the left and right side of the gun where the writing is and look for any damage around the barrel/receiver connection. Is it Parked or blued?
    Gun says auto ordnance 1928 A1. Does that mean it is a savage? Parkerized.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Gun says auto ordnance 1928 A1. Does that mean it is a savage? Parkerized.
    S prefix serial number is Savage subcontracted.

Some were DuLite or something blued, so could well not be parkerizing and could be correct.

If you look at the NFA paperwork or do a FOIA, you may be able to who first registered it and how, like pre-68 registration vs 1968 amnesty live or DEWAT vs post-68 reweld.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    S prefix serial number is Savage subcontracted.

Some were DuLite or something blued, so could well not be parkerizing and could be correct.

If you look at the NFA paperwork or do a FOIA, you may be able to who first registered it and how, like pre-68 registration vs 1968 amnesty live or DEWAT vs post-68 reweld.

How did get the serial off the picture? I could not make that out.

OP, if you look at the right side of the gun is should look something like this:
    1684857871203.png

This is for a Bridgeport gun.

What does it say under the Auto Ordnance line? Its probably going to look like this if its a Savage gun.
    1684857993834.png

If its parkerized, thats a red flag that you need to be careful with! It could just be refinished. It could be reweld and refinished. Or what I have seen a few times is that it was deactivated and then parkerized as a cheap method of refinishing it when the re-activating work has been completed. If you take pictures of where the barrel meets the receiver, we will know more.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    michael,
    Since you are new here I'll just post that IMBLITZVT knows what he is talking about. He's the prez of the local MG club and really knowledgeable on this type of stuff.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    michael,
    Since you are new here I'll just post that IMBLITZVT knows what he is talking about. He's the prez of the local MG club and really knowledgeable on this type of stuff.
    Yea ditto. I was hoping he would chime in.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    michael,

Haha, for the record only VP and I am not super knowledgeable on the Thompsons even if I own one. The Thompson world lives on machinegunboards.com. Those guys really know everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom