• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    I have an old single shot 12ga. that my grandfather owned and I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it? On the receiver in old english letters it says Mauregan Arms Co,Norwich Conn. I think it says Norwich I cannot really tell it's worn down so much serial #B6854 If anyone knows anything I would greatly appreciate it.

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    Yup, Norwich CT- my hometown.

Crescent Firearms, WH Davenport, Mauregan Arms Co, Hopkins & Allen, and a bunch more were all manufacturers there. Some were made under the same roof. The shotgun you have is a "hardware store" gun. Those factories made guns for stores under the name Excel, Newport, and a slew of others. Hardware stores and places like Western Auto used to sell them with their own brand names on them, so identical shotguns were sold under different brand names.

They are not worth too much- $50-$200, in really nice shape. They were made from the 1890s up til the 40s, I think. They cost $10-20 new. They came in all gauges.

One thing to consider is that the bores were machined for 2-1/2" shells, and black powder. Modern 2-3/4" shells will fit, but the extra pressure can blow the gun apart. Polywad and a couple other places make 2-1/2" low pressure shells for vintage guns.

Post up some pics!

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County

Attachments

• g.jpg
      g.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 636
    • gun.jpg
      gun.jpg
      80.5 KB · Views: 658

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    Sweet old gun! I have a couple like it. I shoot Polywad Vintager 12 ga 2.5" #7.5 shells.
    http://www.polywad.com/vintager.html

They're fun for a few blasts at hand-thrown clays very once in awhile, but don't over do it- they were only meant to be occasional hunters or for dispatching varmints.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Yup, Norwich CT- my hometown.

Crescent Firearms, WH Davenport, Mauregan Arms Co, Hopkins & Allen, and a bunch more were all manufacturers there. Some were made under the same roof. The shotgun you have is a "hardware store" gun. Those factories made guns for stores under the name Excel, Newport, and a slew of others. Hardware stores and places like Western Auto used to sell them with their own brand names on them, so identical shotguns were sold under different brand names.

They are not worth too much- $50-$200, in really nice shape. They were made from the 1890s up til the 40s, I think. They cost $10-20 new. They came in all gauges.

One thing to consider is that the bores were machined for 2-1/2" shells, and black powder. Modern 2-3/4" shells will fit, but the extra pressure can blow the gun apart. Polywad and a couple other places make 2-1/2" low pressure shells for vintage guns.

Post up some pics!

I have a S.S. Kresge and a Sears single shot that are identical to each other, right down to the engraving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom