• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    This is in my local paper in the letters to the editor.
    Gun control

It's time for us to quit being hypocritical and admit that we allow some of us privileges that go against our common good.

Some examples are people who chat while driving, smoke and have guns.

As it is now, we go boo-hoo when smash-ups happen on roadways, when cancer wards are full, and when killings, on small or large scales, occur on campuses. But the causes of these events are alterable. Instead of wailing, we can each do more for the common good.

Actions can be taken by individuals - and legislatures - to bar cell phone use by drivers, to stop smoking or to regulate taxes on smoking materials, and to turn in guns.

Gun owners could pay for the privilege - call it a down payment on potential damage to society. If that isn't palatable, we could allow guns but make bullets prohibitively expensive. That would also be a down payment to society.

We can reduce the tears awaiting us from future crashes and diseases, as well as from Glock-fests at places like Virginia Tech.

NANCY LONG
    http://www.bowieblade.com/vault/cgi-bin/bowie/view/2007B/05/10-21.HTM

Another Maryland resident who thinks "reasonable gun control laws" (the common catch phrase of the antis) means banning guns :mad54:

How should I reply with my own letter to this idiot?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    This is in my local paper in the letters to the editor.http://www.bowieblade.com/vault/cgi-bin/bowie/view/2007B/05/10-21.HTM

Another Maryland resident who thinks "reasonable gun control laws" (the common catch phrase of the antis) means banning guns :mad54:

How should I reply with my own letter to this idiot?

The Blade's editorial policy is decidedly anti gun.....I've gone rounds with that Rouse guy (I think that's his name) a couple fo times.

This is nothing but ******** emotional rhetoric.

My standard response to the public health threat meme is that even if there are 10,000 gun deaths (which we know includes suicide and police shootings) per year, that means that 199,990,00 guns were involved in no crimes and despite their inherent lethal potential they still cause fewer deaths than physician malpractice (which is supposed to HELP us) or swimming pools.

Percentage wise by numbers an potential lethality, guns are far less dangerous than other things.

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    Gun owners could pay for the privilege - call it a down payment on potential damage to society. If that isn't palatable, we could allow guns but make bullets prohibitively expensive. That would also be a down payment to society.

How about she pay for the privilege to breath... consider it a down payment on me not having to hear this crap. If that isn't palatable, we could allow her to breath but make speach and the 1A prohibitively expensive. That would also be a down payment.

:moon:

RnRFreak

Forum Cartoon Character
    Mar 3, 2007
    Overlea
    What if we started a movement to ban free speech and right of assembly? Not that I want to, but maybe put some of these goofs on the defensive?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    That same LTE was also printed in the Annapolis Capital.

Same company.....funny that the editorial page of their sister publication, the MD Gazette, seems to not tilt so far to the absurd.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Same company.....funny that the editorial page of their sister publication, the MD Gazette, seems to not tilt so far to the absurd.

Look where the Gazette is distributed....now look at the legislative representation of that area. No wonder they don't stray too far....they don't want to alienate their readers.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Ok, so the theme is that we excessively tax people on the cost their nasty habits might cause society. Great.

Ok, Nancy, want to have kids? Well, they could be born with birth defects, or be juvenile delinquents or even grow into criminals. Better tax that really high.

Want to eat anything other than veggies, or anything with sugar? After all, heart attacks kill more than guns ditto diabetes.

Better not got swimming in the ocean and yeah better build your house under ground cause it could attract lightning!

Better not walk to your mailbox cause you could stub your toe, get a blood clot, have it travel to your brain and cause an anuresium!

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Ok, so the theme is that we excessively tax people on the cost their nasty habits might cause society. Great.

Ok, Nancy, want to have kids? Well, they could be born with birth defects, or be juvenile delinquents or even grow into criminals. Better tax that really high.

Want to eat anything other than veggies, or anything with sugar? After all, heart attacks kill more than guns ditto diabetes.

Better not got swimming in the ocean and yeah better build your house under ground cause it could attract lightning!

Better not walk to your mailbox cause you could stub your toe, get a blood clot, have it travel to your brain and cause an anuresium!

K31 thats the start of a great rebuttal to the letter....

bergmef

Apr 25, 2007
    I'm thinking a high tax on anyone who has kids. What if the kid turns out to be a criminal. We tax them now it covers their time in jail. The rest of us are not burdened.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm thinking a high tax on anyone who has kids. What if the kid turns out to be a criminal. We tax them now it covers their time in jail. The rest of us are not burdened.

There's few parents in my neighborhood that I'd like to see have to post a bond because their kids are obviously going to be the cause of future criminal behavior due to the parents' lack of will in controlling the kids.

OK.....I'm kidding.......mostly.

Oh, and welcome to the board.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I'm with Berg on this one...we should be taxing people based on the services that they use.

A family of 5 should be taxed more heavily than a family of 2 or 3...better yet Single people should pay the LEAST since they use the LEAST services.

Think about it....you have 2 or 3 kids in school....why shouldn't you pay your fair share to put those miscreants through school?

Screw it all actually and dump this progressive tax crap and institute a flat tax....

You want to send your kids to school then you make a separate tax contribution to help subsidize it.

I'm tired of of my tax dollars going to support some cockroach in B-more or PG who is just going to pop out another jr crack dealer.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    Screw it all actually and dump this progressive tax crap and institute a flat tax....

i agree, but i don't think it will ever happen. I hope I'm wrong.

I think the best solution would be a national sales tax on everything except groceries. I leave groceries out so that the poor would not be hampered by unnecessary cost to feed them selfs and their family.

The problem with that is there would need to be a 30% sales tax or more on everything in order to get the same revenue. That would be a visible cost on everything you buy.

In the current situation people never see the money and it makes it easier for our money to be wasted.

Not only that but if we got rid of income taxes for another system, the irs wouldn't need to be near as big. I dont see that happening even though it would be for the better.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    ...better yet Single people should pay the LEAST since they use the LEAST services.

[Humor]

Naw, single people should pay more... because they are doing nothing to perpetuate the human species! They have no one to take care of them when they get old. They are potential burdens on society! :lol2:

How about everyone stay outa my life and I'll stay out of yours... :party29:

[/Humor]

Too bad people feel they know what is best for me and I am too dumb to make do for myself. It's amazing the human race survived at all.

-Boxcab

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    We should register "assault penises". You know, the scary looking ones that make hysteria-prone congresswomen tremble in fear. Anything with 3 or more "dangerous features" needs to be regulated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom