• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    Won't be long we will be just like Venezuela.

Attachments

• 4D7D5D0F-542B-4C8E-B245-9AB327BAA0E9.png
      4D7D5D0F-542B-4C8E-B245-9AB327BAA0E9.png
      124.9 KB · Views: 317

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I mean, there is more to it than just that. It misses seizing all foreign owned companies and nationalizing them.

The civilian disarmament sort of implies a lot of people owned guns. Few ever did in the country. IIRC, an estimated 100k or so, out of 38 million people. Gun ownership in the country had always been tightly regulated (for the law abiding). Not saying disarmament in not a factor in all of that, but it wasn't like half the populace was armed, then everyone turned in their guns and the iron boot was on their neck. The populace was never armed remotely enough to be any real threat to Chavev/Maduro (the later of whom is arming militias that support him).

The country never had a real diversified economy, so on top of nationalizing all of the things, and handing out all the stuff for cheap or free, oil prices than plummeted in the 2010s, resulting in government revenue to plumet by about 65%. Impoverishing the country.

Sooooo...we don't have remotely the same fundamentals. Sure, what happened there, could happen here. But some of the things that lead to Venezula's current plight don't apply in the US and can't (for example, the make up to the economy and sources of government revenue).

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I mean, there is more to it than just that. It misses seizing all foreign owned companies and nationalizing them.

The civilian disarmament sort of implies a lot of people owned guns. Few ever did in the country. IIRC, an estimated 100k or so, out of 38 million people. Gun ownership in the country had always been tightly regulated (for the law abiding). Not saying disarmament in not a factor in all of that, but it wasn't like half the populace was armed, then everyone turned in their guns and the iron boot was on their neck. The populace was never armed remotely enough to be any real threat to Chavev/Maduro (the later of whom is arming militias that support him).

The country never had a real diversified economy, so on top of nationalizing all of the things, and handing out all the stuff for cheap or free, oil prices than plummeted in the 2010s, resulting in government revenue to plumet by about 65%. Impoverishing the country.

Sooooo...we don't have remotely the same fundamentals. Sure, what happened there, could happen here. But some of the things that lead to Venezula's current plight don't apply in the US and can't (for example, the make up to the economy and sources of government revenue).
    Where did you get your numbers?

Compare

Number of Privately Owned Firearms​

ChartThe estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in Venezuela is

2017: 5,895,0001
    2010: 3,250,0002 3 4 5
    2005: 2,850,0006
    :

Compare
    Rate of Civilian Firearm Possession per 100 Population​

ChartThe estimated rate of private gun ownership (both licit and illicit) per 100 people in Venezuela is

2017: 19.237
    2010: 11.02
    2005: 10.82

Compare
    Number of Privately Owned Firearms - World Ranking​

In a comparison of the number of privately owned guns in 206 countries, Venezuela ranked at No. 178

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Notice it says licit and illicit. There were only ever approximately 100k licenses issued for gun permits in Venezuela.

I'd imagine many of those illicit guns are still in private hands.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Notice it says licit and illicit. There were only ever approximately 100k licenses issued for gun permits in Venezuela.

I'd imagine many of those illicit guns are still in private hands.
    I understand that but it's not what you said.

Just like in the US, most firearms are not registered. What they (biased gunpolicy.org) call "illicit" we would call unregistered.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Not sure where I picked this up...possibly from someone here...if so I apologize for not giving proper credit...but it's definitely appropriate in this thread...

Their intellectual strategy appears to be based upon a method known and understood solely by them. If I had to summarize it, it seems to go like this:

• Pick a stupid, extreme, and utterly indefensible proposition and demand that it be implemented no matter the cost
    • Viciously attack all dissent as anti-science
    • Make tons of money off the disruptions
    • Accuse opponents of being fascists and a threat to all life on earth
    • Whip out Hitler comparisons
    • Ride the descent into madness and destruction caused by their policies all the way to the bottom
    • Make tons of money on the ride down by manipulating government policies
    • Scream “democracy is at stake” as they deploy their shock troops
    • Slowly realize that they are surrounded by a hellscape and that is bad for them electorally
    • Blame conservatives, or failing that, somebody other than themselves for the mess
    • Find a way to scam taxpayers to put more money in their pockets off of the damage they caused
    • Rinse
    • Repeat

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We all see lazarus quoting from the moved goal posts, and not just in this thread.
    You don't even know what goal posts are unless you set them on fire.

Please point out where I moved goal posts? Because in this instance you can't.

I quoted a figure. Someone else quoted a different number. I pointed out that my source was on legally registered firearms (which all had to be in Venezula). I didn't say "non-registered firearm don't matter" or any other claim or goal post moving. Just that my figure was only for registered firearms.

A gun ban is primarily impacting just those legal gun owners in the country. Because prior to the ban, those with unregistered firearms were already subject to arrest and prosecution if found with that firearm. I didn't then say those other illicit firearm served no purpose or they should be disregarded.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It's all about control.
    I have said this exact thing, over and over and over.

If what happened in this video does not demonstrate this, I do not know what does.
    1st amendment is under attack as are we all.

One listener posted this ; "Edward Snowden 's quote is most appropriate. "When exposing a crime is treated as committing a crime you are being ruled by criminals "

Last edited:

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008

The civilian disarmament sort of implies a lot of people owned guns. Few ever did in the country. IIRC, an estimated 100k or so, out of 38 million people. Gun ownership in the country had always been tightly regulated (for the law abiding).
    You don't even know what goal posts are unless you set them on fire.

Please point out where I moved goal posts? Because in this instance you can't.

I quoted a figure. Someone else quoted a different number. I pointed out that my source was on legally registered firearms (which all had to be in Venezula). I didn't say "non-registered firearm don't matter" or any other claim or goal post moving. Just that my figure was only for registered firearms.
    Your goal posts sir. You said only 100k people in entirety owned firearms and did not distinguish, then changed it to "licit" and "illicit".

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    And after all these years of the establishment demonizing Sen McCarthy,,, ends up he was correct on many (most?) accusations
    I had similar thoughts of how History repeats itself and how we can never be too careful on how the powers that be can control the narrative. With the operative word being CONTROL, this is the main reason for almost all the MSM, POTUS, SCOTUS, Education system, Weaponized DOJ, etc activity.

Control and $$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$ and Control. Those are the bottom lines, at all costs. 2020 Election, Pandemic, Anti 2A on down to anti 1A. It is unfolding as we speak.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Old Joe was 100% correct.
    Joe displayed a lot of courage. Venona shows us that Joe was more correct than he could have known at the time.

Also interesting (in light of current events) to note that the leftists tried to discredit him by saying he dressed in women’s clothing and was gay. As opposed to celebrating his bravery, they intended for it to be so scandalous that no one would believe him.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Joe displayed a lot of courage. Venona shows us that Joe was more correct than he could have known at the time.

Also interesting (in light of current events) to note that the leftists tried to discredit him by saying he dressed in women’s clothing and was gay. As opposed to celebrating his bravery, they intended for it to be so scandalous that no one would believe him.
    Not many here know and or care about Venona.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom