• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

Yea what a smuck!

Taking a new-bought gun to range w/o cleaning it.
    Every C&R that I've bought, (I have 7) whether it's been on a FTF or internet transaction: The gun gets taken apart, (if not fully, then a partial)inspected-cleaned.
    He's very-very lucky he didn't damage the gun.

He's a question: He only took ONE gun to the range?
    I take several: because I like a variety!!!

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Ok, I'm not massively experienced, but even I know to clean and inspect any new-to-me firearm before firing it.

That said, I'm curious, what WOULD be the reason for broken shell casings in these two rifles?

GapBasher

Gunnery Sargent
    Feb 22, 2013
    Spring Lake, MI
    What kind of ass wagon buys a 100 year old rifle, dosent inspect it or clean it, and expects it to function flawlessly? He couldnt have spent more than 90 bucks for it. We buy Mosins and refurb em before we even think about taking them to the range. ASS WAGON. Also notice he disabled comments for his stupid ass video LOLOLOL.

Vikingpwr67

Jan 28, 2013
    Baltimore
    What an idiot. He didn't notice the globs of cosmoline on an old Military surplus gun. Lol
    If he don't like it I would gladly take it off his hands

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I use WD-40 on my MN's and any others that I shoot corrosive ammo through.

When I field-clean my MN's after shooting, I use windex, followed by WD40, to dissolve & flush residue from the barrel & bolt head before going home. The WD40 is to ensure #1 any moisture is gone, and #2 the barrel has some rust protection on it.

I give them a final cleaning & oiling after I get home.

BDurk

Sep 21, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Showed the video to my 10 year old......when the dope says that he doesn't clean newly acquired firearms prior to use...without missing a beat he immediately looks at me a says “that’s crazy!!!”. From the mouth of babes.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    yes clean and inspect before shooting, but there are a lot of novices out there who take the distributors for their word on condition (i.e. shootable, which in my opinion doesnt mean some repair work required, it should be stated in the sellers ad as such) and yes there are better, and a few "i dont a give a shit" sellers out there.
    "caveat emptor" is the phrase for buyers of milsurps.:thumbsup:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    this guy reminds me of the "ed brown was mean to me" douchebag a while ago.

they should get together and cry on each others shoulders lol.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I use WD-40 on my MN's and any others that I shoot corrosive ammo through.

When I field-clean my MN's after shooting, I use windex, followed by WD40, to dissolve & flush residue from the barrel & bolt head before going home. The WD40 is to ensure #1 any moisture is gone, and #2 the barrel has some rust protection on it.

I give them a final cleaning & oiling after I get home.

I wouldn't use WD40 on anything but the bore, but the way that you use it there is reasonable. It was, after all, designed to be a Water Displacer to get moisture out of the old distributors that were part of a car, truck, or jeep ignition system. A little bit of splashed water, or even heavy condensation, would leave you stranded, but a shot of WD40 (and a little dabbing with a rag) would get rid of the moisture. Normally, the thought of WD40 on a firearm, unless it's an emergency, makes me shudder, but if it just goes down the bore of a M-N, after rinsing it with water or windex, etc, seems like a pretty good idea, actually ... so long as you clean it again later.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    yes clean and inspect before shooting, but there are a lot of novices out there who take the distributors for their word on condition (i.e. shootable, which in my opinion doesnt mean some repair work required, it should be stated in the sellers ad as such) and yes there are better, and a few "i dont a give a shit" sellers out there.
    "caveat emptor" is the phrase for buyers of milsurps.:thumbsup:

I get that, and they may be well off to point people in the right direction. But if this guy is savy enough to shoot and post a video on youtube, I would expect he would be savy enough to research what he is buying. Just search mosin nagant and you should see gobs of cleaning as well as the refinishing videos. If cosmoline does not come up in his searching and viewing then he's blind and deaf. My first C&R was a T53 and I was wide open to what I was getting. If this guy went into a store and bought one and no one told him what he needed to do (my gun shop did tell me) then he can complain.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I get that, and they may be well off to point people in the right direction. But if this guy is savy enough to shoot and post a video on youtube, I would expect he would be savy enough to research what he is buying.

• First of all, anyone who would go out and shoot any firearm without checking it has a screw loose.
    • Second, anyone who would buy any sort of used firearm and shoot it without first cleaning it and checking it has two screws loose.
    • Third, any one who would display all their loose screws for the world to see by posting a video like this, rather than just contacting the company they bought from, has a bucket full of loose screws ... all with the heads and threads stripped.

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    Ok, I'm not massively experienced, but even I know to clean and inspect any new-to-me firearm before firing it.

That said, I'm curious, what WOULD be the reason for broken shell casings in these two rifles?

Not an expert, but I would say there was probably a head-space issue maybe caused by a mis-matched bolt/chamber. No headspace at all would jam the cartridge in too tightly and cause the cartridge shell to swell and split at the weakest part, which would be the rim, primer, or reduction.

EDIT: reading about this via google reveals too much headspace causes the same thing- ruptured case.

Which leads to a question: does anyone sell head-space dummy cartridges for MNs? How does one measure the headspace otherwise? What's the acceptable measurement?

:innocent0 I confess I've never checked the headspace on an MN myself, only the firing pin depth. If the rifle chambered a round easily and it felt locked up tight I went ahead and fired it.

EDIT:http://www.amazon.com/Mosin-Nagant-Headspace-Gauge-Firewerks/dp/B0088AESY8
    Found 'em!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom