Thinking of throwing a MDS oyster scauld..

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Is dress optional, or do I gotta wear pants?

The dress would be an option, but I would wear pants- just for the opportunity to hear those famous words..."Now let's you jest drop them pants":D

Is this thread off track yet?

Last edited:

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    In-terested!

Love Oysters, catfish with the right batter is quite tasty; and I always wondered what snakehead fish tastes like.

Where, when, etc.?

Thanks. :)
    i will work on ironing it out! It will be at my place here in Maddox for sure. Maybe plan on bringing a race pistol and we will separate ourselves by power factor if I get my race gongs done by then. Little side project I been thinking up.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    i will work on ironing it out! It will be at my place here in Maddox for sure. Maybe plan on bringing a race pistol and we will separate ourselves by power factor if I get my race gongs done by then. Little side project I been thinking up.

Gotta love SMIBville. Shooting in the yard is normal here.

ErictheRed

Jul 3, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I am new to the forum but I would definitely be in for that. I can help out with set-up/clean-up, bring some rockfish. Always wanted to try snakehead but I haven't been able to catch one yet.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    I think we have a different idea of scaulding oysters.

We get a big piece of sheet metal setup over cinder blocks with either a fire or a few burners going underneath. Then throw a big piece of soaked burlap over the oyster spread out on the sheet metal. As soon as the oysters open slightly we pull em off.

Scaulding; Nanjemoy style.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN

We get a big piece of sheet metal setup over cinder blocks with either a fire or a few burners going underneath. Then throw a big piece of soaked burlap over the oyster spread out on the sheet metal. As soon as the oysters open slightly we pull em off.

There are multiple ways to scald arsters. In addition to quoted method, you can put 'em in wire basket, place the basket in rapidly boiling water and cook just until shells opens, or you can put on a cookie sheet and into a 350 degree oven. All methods still yield some really good vittles.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Why don't we eat'm raw?

Raw, scalded, roasted, fried, steamed-- don't really matter. They're all good. Scalding saves the hassle of opening the shells though. Let them bottom suckers open themselves. If they don't open, they are dangerous to eat.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek

i always thought of that as more of a clam bake style. Damn near steaming them really. Either way gets it done. It's just the way we have always done it and the way capt. Sam bailey showed my grandma so we do it that way...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom