• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    ok. Did not know that was an issue. I am only familiar with the A2 in the Army and have not seen that happen.

It's not an issue. Most of the guys that I know run them have them on their NFA M16s. Since they prevent pin rotation it's seen as a way to reduce wear due to the pins spinning (still kinda silly if you ask me) on their $10-$15K machine guns. Others use them as a security blanket. But if you built your rifle right, with quality parts then there really isn't an issue - if there was they would standard on Military issue weapons by now.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Everything's intact, I've had 3 diff't packs in there, and probably also due to me constantly removing the pins to get EVERY piece of schmutz out of the lower when I clean, they started to walk when firing.

I've since modified my cleaning method.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Everything's intact, I've had 3 diff't packs in there, and probably also due to me constantly removing the pins to get EVERY piece of schmutz out of the lower when I clean, they started to walk when firing.
    Yeah constantly tearing down the lower will wear the pin holes. There is a reason why troops are not allowed to do that. ;).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Point Taken - 'But my lower still has some specks of goop in there...', I figured that out the hard way. At least it was a cheap and easy fix, KNS Pins, and q-tips for cleaning the lower.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    "Overcleaning" is a major source of ARs/M16s lives being shortened. I think this might need to be posted:
    PS636Donts.jpg

15-20 minutes to clean is all you really need. "White glove" clean is neither required nor recommended.

DirtyAR.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    In the beginning, that would have hit my nail right on the head, with the exception of using power-tools and simple green and correction fluid, thank god I learned within a month or two, the 'white glove' clean was not exactly the best way of doing things.

My cleaning time now is about 5-10 minutes for the piston, and well under 10 for d.i.

I never said I was an expert, but I learn really fast when it's my money on the line.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    There is another PS article that outlines the cleaning process AND the new (at that time) no "white glove" cleaning "requirement". If someone has that, please send me the PS # that it is in. I can print it from work later.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    There is another PS article that outlines the cleaning process AND the new (at that time) no "white glove" cleaning "requirement". If someone has that, please send me the PS # that it is in. I can print it from work later.

I'll check I've got a bunch of the M16/M4 stuff on .PDF

ETA:
    I've got the "Complete M16 Cleaning" article from PS 579 in Feb 01 and a bunch of others with cleaning tips. I'll have to check my home computer to see if I have the white glove one.

Last edited:

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Why does that not surprise me...

You should see what I keep on the thumbdrive I wear at work. :D Unfortunetly it's running out of space so my PS Magazine selection is limited. I have more on my personal Laptop.

BTW any easy way to upload a .PDF here?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You should see what I keep on the thumbdrive I wear at work. :D Unfortunetly it's running out of space so my PS Magazine selection is limited. I have more on my personal Laptop.

BTW any easy way to upload a .PDF here?

After all my encounters with Clandestine, I get leary about those type's of comments from the 'AR Guru's', he has somewhat scared/scarred me. :lol2:

But you guys did help me to get that piston running right, so I got to give you guys that.

Don't most threads get de-railed by page 2 anyways???

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I'm building a budget AR too and picked up a GMMG lower at Gun Connection in White Marsh for $100.00.

CMMG Mod4SA Lower Sale!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CMMG Mod4SA 5.56mm Stripped Lower
    Regularly: $135.00 + tax & app
    MDShooters Sale Price: $115.00 + tax & app
    MDShooters Cash Price: $100.00 + tax & app

That's what I was thinking of doing. I winder if CMMG are quality lowers. I'd be pairing it with bcm upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom