• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You mentioned is this post and the response to me that the trouble is with 3.5" shells. The 930SPX only has a 3" chamber, so wouldn't what you are seeing be a non-issue on this model? I have yet to hear about any reliability issues with the 930SPX, but if there is I hope that I can avoid it. I absolutely love mine and would hate to see it become a safe queen for not functioning.

If yours is a 3" model then its cool, no issues.

I guess the SPX is a different animal than the 935's we have. I dont know the differences in models to be honest, just that they are the newer ones.

All of the ones we have are marked for 3.5" Magnum, so you are in the clear if yours is a 3" model :party29:

My apologies to any 930 owners, my issues are with the Magnum models, and older Mossberg Autoloaders.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

I guess the SPX is a different animal than the 935's we have. I dont know the differences in models to be honest, just that they are the newer ones.

All of the ones we have are marked for 3.5" Magnum, so you are in the clear if yours is a 3" model :party29:

My apologies to any 930 owners, my issues are with the Magnum models, and older Mossberg Autoloaders.

I hope that is the case. I don't know what is different about the 935s. Hopefully the difference is that the 930s are reliable. :fingerscrossed:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    This is good news. :thumbsup:

Im have hope that Mossberg have redeemed themselves. Their track history scares me, but the ones we have could be a bad run.

:)

I just did a bit of Google surfing and it appears that the 935 is notorious for feeding problems. The 930s seem to not have this problem and are generally considered solid, reliable autoloaders. So, the takeaway is steer clear of the 935 models.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, thoughts on the Remmy 1100?

They are workhorses (1100/1187), one of my favorite Autoloaders, they do malfunction and break though, and a little more than they should IMHO. I despise the Magnum 1187's. The other ones are ok though.

I like them because its one of the easiest guns to get replacement parts for, and easy to work on.

I think Beretta and Benelli Autoloaders are better and more durable/reliable but the benellis and Breettas are so hard to get parts for.

The (1100/1187) is sorta like a 1911, if setup right and used the right way they are outstanding, if no they can be crap. There are certain things I like to change on them to make them run better.

Use only Remington gas Seal O-Rings
    Aluminum Magazine Tube Follower to help Feeding
    Polished and Contour Extractor to help Feeding
    Deburr Firing Pin Hole to help Feeding
    Deburr and Polish Chamber Rim to help Chambering and Extracting
    Deburr Gas Port to avoid Rubber Gas Seal Damage
    Deburr FCG Pins to avoid Scratching/Gouging the Receiver during Field Stripping

They tend to like to run wet too, I prefer Mobil 1 30W Syn Motor Oil for the Carrier Group, Grease in the Barrel Lug Recesses, and Breakfree CLP on the rest of the gun.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I just did a bit of Google surfing and it appears that the 935 is notorious for feeding problems. The 930s seem to not have this problem and are generally considered solid, reliable autoloaders. So, the takeaway is steer clear of the 935 models.

I dint know that. Good info DD214! :thumbsup:

Google is really good for research for things like that.

Im hoping the 930 is all of the gun its supposed to be. I may have to swell my 1187 and hive one a try at ownership. :thumbsup:

KMA

Jan 17, 2010
    harford county
    Remington 870 18.5" heavy police barrell with wilson 2shot extention and remington youth stock is a must. Bead sight or rifle sight is optional. There are some trigger improvements as well as oversized safetys and action releases available. I had Dan@ Gun Connection build me 2 already one has track lock ghost ring sights which are nice for slugs. Which ever way you go good luck.

KMA

Jan 17, 2010
    harford county
    The 1100 Remington is a great shotgun. The magnums have some feeding issues with light loads but I had that fixed by GC.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Got to chime in on the 930SPX, it has run without a hiccup since I've had it and I have intentionally run it trying to get it to have a feed issue. I haven't been able to get it to do anything but spit the empties as fast as I can pull the trigger. I think I've had mine close to a year now and aside from having to adjust the rear sight significantly more than I thought it should have been and stove piping trap loads when I first got it, it has never failed, not once. It is now a go to favorite for HD. I just wish they would come out with a decent pistol grip stock for it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've only fired my 930SPX a few times, no issues. Except, the rear sight broke off. The metal stem piece that holds it on the rail broke while I was shooting it.

Anyone know if I can replace just the stem or will in need a new rear ghost sight?

Might be a good excuse to buy some other type of optics, any recommendations?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Here's a good review:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsGflzPXvQU

Here's the pistol grip stock, I'm considering doing this:http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_p...&ProductSubCodeID=152&NewProduct=0&recordno=1

MK5%20stocks.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've only fired my 930SPX a few times, no issues. Except, the rear sight broke off. The metal stem piece that holds it on the rail broke while I was shooting it.

Anyone know if I can replace just the stem or will in need a new rear ghost sight?

Might be a good excuse to buy some other type of optics, any recommendations?

If you call Mossberg I guarantee they will send you a replacement for free. If you cant get it installed bring it by to me and Ill put it on for ya.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I had emailed Mossberg months ago about it, never heard back. At your suggestion, I just called them and sure enough they said they will mail me the pin.

The service rep said the pistol grip stock will be an accessory item available later this year. I'd like mine adjustable if possible, haven't found one yet. Also need to replace the charging handle with a larger one, any suggestions?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I had emailed Mossberg months ago about it, never heard back. At your suggestion, I just called them and sure enough they said they will mail me the pin.

Excellent! :thumbsup: Most emails dont go answered from my experience, but phone calls usually yield positive results. I save emails for complaints to the "Higher-Up's" :D

The service rep said the pistol grip stock will be an accessory item available later this year. I'd like mine adjustable if possible, haven't found one yet. Also need to replace the charging handle with a larger one, any suggestions?

I havent handled any aftermarket or Mossberg branded accessories for those models yet, but its likely to happen soon enough. Its a popular weapon now. Once I get my hands on some items and install them ill be happy to offer some imput.

I will say that if Choate makes any furniture your looking at, it will be good stuff.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

My SPX has been awesome, high brass, low brass, even ran a couple boxes of old paper shells through it. For an HD gun great, if you are going geese shooting I dont think it has a 3.5" chamber.........

Now the downsides are it doesnt have a front sling-point and the forestock can be loose on most of them you can tighten the extension tube but do risk overtightening it making it had to get off (Needed a strap wrench on mine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom