• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    I want to stick a VTAC TRX 13" rail on a Spike's Elite 16" upper with their NiB BCG and FN SAW-spec steel barrel. Such a build would involve shaving the FSB to allow for a freefloat rail.

Any reason I shouldn't/couldn't? I was planning to buy the upper from AIM - it ships with a MOE handguard and standard A2 FSB. I've heard from some sources that aftermarket rail systems are a PITA to install on some uppers if they aren't fresh builds - IE over a shaved FSB.

TIA.

Product reference:

Upper

RIS

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    DO IT! Great rail and upper. Install should be pretty easy and it will be awesome when you are done. If I wasn't pretty happy with the fit and feel of my MOE handguards I would do the exact same thing. Here's one tip though. Be sure you like the feel of the VTAC rail over the standard TRX before you buy. Some prefer the slots over the holes but I think the majority like the feel of the holes. I own and like both, but the holes give a better purchase.

dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    I've handled a Smith M&P 14.5PA with the holes...I like it, I didn't feel that the ribs were too rough either. I do prefer the aesthetics of the slotted VTAC system.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I've handled a Smith M&P 14.5PA with the holes...I like it, I didn't feel that the ribs were too rough either. I do prefer the aesthetics of the slotted VTAC system.

The only real drawback is the sling mount for the Vtac costs more than the standard TRX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom