• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland "Common Sense Gun Laws" that passed the Senate and House...

An off duty police officer (even in uniform) cannot carry a firearm on school property. This includes his/her child's sporting events. (They want to disarm the police "for the children")

An amendment to prevent early parole for violent crimes involving guns was rejected. An armed robber, carjacker, etc. can still be parolled for good behavior- often leading to sentences of less than a month for armed robbery in Baltimore City. (don't want to enforce punishment on the violent criminals)

This is what Maryland's government calls "Common Sense".

We need people to realize just how twisted these new bills are. I feel the above examples will sway some people who have no idea of how twisted our government actually is.

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    Clarify

So if you are an off duty police officer and you volunteer for security at your church, which is also a school, you will be unable to carry your weapon? Can you specify what part of the bill this is in? Thanks for the heads up

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    carl, its part of current gun free school zone law, an amendment was offered to sb281 to make an exemption for off duty police, but the democrats and omalley's puppets shotnit down because they hate cops, guns, and defenseless children.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I think MOM would crap his pants if we started a letter writing campaign to Virginia legislators and to the head of the FBI and stated MD is not a good place for them. (and CC Md) They would not be able to even pick their kids up from school or go to a sporting event armed.

Ellegon

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2012
    Parkville
    Maryland "Common Sense Gun Laws" that passed the Senate and House...

An off duty police officer (even in uniform) cannot carry a firearm on school property. This includes his/her child's sporting events. (They want to disarm the police "for the children")

An amendment to prevent early parole for violent crimes involving guns was rejected. An armed robber, carjacker, etc. can still be parolled for good behavior- often leading to sentences of less than a month for armed robbery in Baltimore City. (don't want to enforce punishment on the violent criminals)

We need people to realize just how twisted these new bills are. I feel the above examples will sway some people who have no idea of how twisted our government actually is.

Posted this in the sun column about the bill passing the committee!!

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I think MOM would crap his pants if we started a letter writing campaign to Virginia legislators and to the head of the FBI and stated MD is not a good place for them. (and CC Md) They would not be able to even pick their kids up from school or go to a sporting event armed.

It is my understanding that Federal law enforcement officers carry their firearms where their agency policies, and/or the authorizing federal statutes, allow. I think they don't worry about these state laws.

The rejected amendment, as described by the sponsor, would have applied to current state peace officers, and to retired LEOs who are qualified to carry firearms in any state under 18 USC Section 926C, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Would this go for Maryland private schools as well? Or just public?

This is the current law, which the joint committee declined to revise:

Criminal Law Article
    § 4-102. Deadly weapons on school property

(a) Exceptions. -- This section does not apply to:

(1) a law enforcement officer in the regular course of the officer's duty;

(2) a person hired by a county board of education specifically for the purpose of guarding public school property;

(3) a person engaged in organized shooting activity for educational purposes; or

(4) a person who, with a written invitation from the school principal, displays or engages in a historical demonstration using a weapon or a replica of a weapon for educational purposes.

(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property.

(c) Penalty. --

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $ 1,000 or both.

(2) A person who is convicted of carrying or possessing a handgun in violation of this section shall be sentenced under Subtitle 2 of this title.

HISTORY: An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36A; 2002, ch. 26, § 2; ch. 213, § 6.

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    Sorry for being repetitive but i want to be clear. So currently, it is illegal for any off duty police officer to volunteer their time as security guards at church, on school property, and be armed? This amendment would have reversed that, correct. That means every off duty officer that is volunteering as a security guard at my church, and has their duty weapon, is breaking he law?

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    So currently, it is illegal for any off duty police officer to volunteer their time as security guards at church, on school property, and be armed?

Yes

This amendment would have reversed that, correct.

Yes

That means every off duty officer that is volunteering as a security guard at my church, and has their duty weapon, is breaking he law?

Yes

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Sorry for being repetitive but i want to be clear. So currently, it is illegal for any off duty police officer to volunteer their time as security guards at church, on school property, and be armed? This amendment would have reversed that, correct. That means every off duty officer that is volunteering as a security guard at my church, and has their duty weapon, is breaking he law?

I assume that the "school property" to which you refer is public school property, perhaps rented for services. It is currently legal, under the statute that I pasted in above, if the officer fits within this: "(2) a person hired by a county board of education specifically for the purpose of guarding public school property . . ." That person does not even have to be a peace officer. It could be a security guard with a restricted permit to carry.

It is also currently legal for "a law enforcement officer in the regular course of the officer's duty . . ." I do not know whether the agencies that employ your volunteers would regard such volunteer work as being "in the regular course of the officer's duty." If not, and if they are not hired under exception (2), it appears to be unlawful. I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and please tell me the name of your church so that I can make plans to attend.

thekman

Mar 5, 2013
    "(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property."

So, got to leave the Swiss Army knife home too?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    knives

"(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property." So, got to leave the Swiss Army knife home too?

Yes, the §4-102 prohibition pertaining to public school property applies to any "knife." Heaven knows how many art room teachers are in violation.

It should not be confused with the separate statute about carrying a "dangerous weapon" (Criminal Law Article §4-101), which has an exception for "a penknife without a switchblade." If you carry a penknife on public school property, you are violating §4-102 but not §4-101.

rh92

Mar 2, 2013
    Rockville
    Maryland "Common Sense Gun Laws" that passed the Senate and House...

While I think SB281 will pass because of the nature of our politics...

Reading this thread is making me think that it will have a harder time passing it in the House(I hope).

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Reading this thread is making me think that it will have a harder time passing it in the House(I hope).

I myself see nothing whatever in this thread to support any hope that the bill will not pass the House. I can imagine, however, that the full House conceivably might decide to legalize off-duty and certified-retired peace officers carrying firearms on public school property. Talk about a "common sense" proposition.

CFCE

Nov 23, 2012
    St. Mary's Co.
    I'm a carpenter in the maintenance dept. of my county public school. I carry a pocket knife all the time. Am I a criminal? What about when I have a utility knife in my tool kit? Talk about monumental absurdity!

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I'm a carpenter in the maintenance dept. of my county public school. I carry a pocket knife all the time. Am I a criminal? What about when I have a utility knife in my tool kit? Talk about monumental absurdity!

The statute contains no exception for carpenters or other employees of the school.

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    I assume that the "school property" to which you refer is public school property, perhaps rented for services. It is currently legal, under the statute that I pasted in above, if the officer fits within this: "(2) a person hired by a county board of education specifically for the purpose of guarding public school property . . ." That person does not even have to be a peace officer. It could be a security guard with a restricted permit to carry.

It is also currently legal for "a law enforcement officer in the regular course of the officer's duty . . ." I do not know whether the agencies that employ your volunteers would regard such volunteer work as being "in the regular course of the officer's duty." If not, and if they are not hired under exception (2), it appears to be unlawful. I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and please tell me the name of your church so that I can make plans to attend.

This is a Private school with a church (not public). I wonder if the law still applies. Plus we are not hired by the church, we are just volunteers. I don't CC since my rights have already been denied by the state (no G&S reason) but many of the off duty officers do. This is crazy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom