• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    Do you want to move around at night(nightvision) or detect warm-blooded things(thermal)? Those are the jobs each does.
    That's the problem. The answer is both. For NV I'd probably go with a PVS-14 of some sort. Unfilmed white phosphor Gen 3. For therm, something like an AGM Rattler TS35-640. Many years ago I did some exploring out on the Bay at night with an older green PVS and had a blast. I also goofed around with a unit from FLIR but they don't offer that anymore. Maybe Armasight sells that line now but not sure.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    That's the problem. The answer is both. For NV I'd probably go with a PVS-14 of some sort. Unfilmed white phosphor Gen 3. For therm, something like an AGM Rattler TS35-640. Many years ago I did some exploring out on the Bay at night with an older green PVS and had a blast. I also goofed around with a unit from FLIR but they don't offer that anymore. Maybe Armasight sells that line now but not sure.

I went with the PVS14 and RH25 Combo.

04b96c1219f88623d2356e1c841d6170.jpg

If you are willing to accept a few flaws in and Ebit Gen3 WP tube and use an RL25 which has lower resolution than the RH you would be in your price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My HS1 came tonight. I'd guesstimate max range is about 100yds based on my testing. It'll be enough to help you determine something's out there, but probably not a lot of certainty on exactly what outside of size. We were able to easily spot rabbits at 15-20yds in our backyard, though, and I was able to see the neighbors' houses without a problem. 9hz is OK for scanning. Not great, but acceptable.

That said, it's thermal for $200, and having thermal is a huge improvement over not having thermal. I could definitely see it being a toolkit item for helping perform searches.

(Also saw in the manual that it takes RCR123As, so that's another plus.)

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    My HS1 came tonight. I'd guesstimate max range is about 100yds based on my testing. It'll be enough to help you determine something's out there, but probably not a lot of certainty on exactly what outside of size. We were able to easily spot rabbits at 15-20yds in our backyard, though, and I was able to see the neighbors' houses without a problem. 9hz is OK for scanning. Not great, but acceptable.

That said, it's thermal for $200, and having thermal is a huge improvement over not having thermal. I could definitely see it being a toolkit item for helping perform searches.

wish they would double the resolution for $400 :lol2:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

1000005476.jpg
    1000005481.jpg

Tree rats

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Tell both its an investment in energy efficiency. You can poke around your house with it this winter and find all the places your losing heat or don't have sufficient insulation.
    They also make amazing stud finders. You can also see every nail and screw :D

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I am starting to do a lot of solo overnight kayak trips back in the "wilderness",,
    One of these hand helds would let me know what is lurking out past the light of my campfire,,,,,,, or maybe I don't want to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom