• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    sorry I lived in upper fellspoint (2 blocks from the projects) for 10 years.
    i am white, I have seen the Baltimore city police in action.
    99 % of this video is true.
    take off your rose color glasses and go for a walk. hell take a walk up durham st. at 2pm in the afternoon.

I grew up there too. Lived on the corner of Ann and Pratt Street. Durham?? Hell that's where I used to hang every day. Grew up around the corner. But, even I won't walk through there now any time of day.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    Dated a girl a couple of years ago that lived on Durham, right off of Eastern. Safe as can be around there. Lots of Hispanic families with kids that play outside. We walked back from the bars late at night many times, never a problem. Several kickass bars within 3 blocks. I've said it before and l'll say it again, I've not felt unsafe even once in the 5 years I've lived in the Canton/Fells area. I also travel all over the city with my work as a contractor and have never had a problem. Just have to carry yourself well and respect the folks in their neighborhoods, even if you hate their drug infested, welfare beholden, lazy ass entitlement attitude. Fortunately there are lotsa hardworking, friendly, helpful folks as well. On balance the people are much more friendly and courteous than any of the suburbs I've lived in since moving to Md in 1990.

Love it here.

gzahari

May 25, 2012
    Harford County
    On the corner of Orleans and central opposite Dunbar...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345747421107.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1345747421107.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 217
    Love it here.[/QUOTE]

you can keep it, really it's all yours.

I lived there is the 1960's, 1970's and 2000's

I will never move there again.

I had family member jumped and robbed.
    i had a guy murdered on my front stepps
    car broken in to.
    had to buy an old hoodie just to walk from the car to the house.
    they beat a guy up at gough and ann just because he with white. (hate crime)

no, you can keep it

BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's
    take off your rose color glasses and go for a walk. hell take a walk up durham st. at 2pm in the afternoon.

perkins homes?

mlance238

Mar 30, 2011
    Dated a girl a couple of years ago that lived on Durham, right off of Eastern. Safe as can be around there. Lots of Hispanic families with kids that play outside. We walked back from the bars late at night many times, never a problem. Several kickass bars within 3 blocks. I've said it before and l'll say it again, I've not felt unsafe even once in the 5 years I've lived in the Canton/Fells area. I also travel all over the city with my work as a contractor and have never had a problem. Just have to carry yourself well and respect the folks in their neighborhoods, even if you hate their drug infested, welfare beholden, lazy ass entitlement attitude. Fortunately there are lotsa hardworking, friendly, helpful folks as well. On balance the people are much more friendly and courteous than any of the suburbs I've lived in since moving to Md in 1990.

Love it here.

You be careful my friend. I know a group of females that were mugged in front of Dark Horse on Boston St. Doesn't really get much better looking/feeling than that part of town.

If you haven't encountered trouble in the city, after several years, it's probably more about luck than the right attitude/look/respect. That stuff's important, but it does not earn you a free pass from every criminal.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    More folks need to go to BCCC. I had some really good classes there and it was really cheap.

I never really felt in danger in Highlandtown/East Fayette in Conkling. Crappy area yeah, but didn't seem dangerous. Most I got hassled was for hookers asking for smokes from me on Conkling. Was scared as hell when I moved in, but Htown didn't seem overwhelmingly violent. Like said above, I heard about more thefts in Canton where the "yuppies" (rich folks) were at than Htown. My neighbors were clearly illegal immigrants were always nice and I used to trade them Boh for Tectate. There's some neighborhoods north of Pulaski though that are alsmot abandoned...sad and scary.

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    :thumbsup:
    Thanks for posting.

I found it interesting, and even found that they made a few good points. Al Jazeera notwithstanding, I think it’s worth watching. But you have to put your thinking cap on.

Of course it’s solidly a propaganda piece, and as such (and as is common even in the mainstream US media) what you leave out is just as important as what you put in.

Favorites (note sarcasm):

* The drug dealer who said he turned to dealing when an injury ended his hopes of becoming a basketball player. Only those two choices in life?

* The ex-murderer who complains about the number of people with records

* The African American female civil rights lawyer who complains about the disproportionate number of African Americans arrested for committing crimes, while ignoring (or not being asked) the question of: did they actually commit those crimes? And oh, for good measure, let's trot out Reagan's name in there too.

* The rich white liberal who claims the war on poverty, the war on drugs, indeed everything the government has done since the 60s (regardless of which party is in power) is instead, and by design, a war on people of color.

Could they have chosen any more stereotypical “go to” icons?

Note: Not one word about the failed schools (or why they have failed). Not one word about the failed parents who should insist their kids attend school and, oh I don’t know, maybe learn something besides how to play basketball in gym class? Not one word about the students themselves taking responsibility for their own actions and actually doing homework, absorbing knowledge, getting a job not involving professional sports or dealing drugs (there are one or two options in-between those two extremes), and making something of their lives.

Well as I said, interesting but pretty much what you’d expect from Al Jazeera. Or NBC. Or CBS, ABC, PBS/NPR, etc.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    You be careful my friend. I know a group of females that were mugged in front of Dark Horse on Boston St. Doesn't really get much better looking/feeling than that part of town.

If you haven't encountered trouble in the city, after several years, it's probably more about luck than the right attitude/look/respect. That stuff's important, but it does not earn you a free pass from every criminal.

Will do.

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City

Going on 11 years for me now, and the only thing bad I've ever had happen is having my center console rifled for about $3 in meter change, and that only happened because I got forgetful and left the door unlocked, so it was really my own fault.

I put it down to situational awareness and attitude, not so much luck. Like Natboh said, head up, give respect to get respect, and you won't have any issues. The city has changed immensely from the decades ago most of the naysayers recall.

Oh, and I live 2 blocks off Greenmount. My 'hood' was about half vacants when I moved in a decade ago. Now it's a nice neighborhood that you can walk the streets safe at night. I've got a lot of civic pride, because me and my neighbors cared enough to put our space right. Hate it when people talk down about my city, yet don't even live here.

• Vandalism on 11XX EAST 33RD STREET
    • Assault on 20XX E. BALTIMORE STREET
    • Arrest on 6XX N. GLOVER ST
    • Theft on 12XX GREYSTONE RD
    • Arrest on 13XX RUSSELL ST.
    • Shooting on 7XX N. KENWOOD AVENUE
    • Arrest on 5XX E. FORT AVENUE
    • Shooting on 7XX N. KENWOOD AVENUE
    • Burglary on 37XX BALTIMORE ST
    • Theft on 6XX CHESAPEAKE AV W
    • Theft on 8XX FAIRMOUNT AV
    • Burglary on 9XX E FORT AV
    • Theft on 1XX N CALVERT ST
    • Theft on 6XX E PRATT ST
    • Theft on XX W PRESTON ST
    • Theft on 18XX MARYLAND AV
    • Assault on 2XX E MONTGOMERY ST
    • Theft on 12XX E LANVALE ST
    • Theft on 21XX GOUGH ST
    • Theft on 13XX KUPER PL
    • Theft on S CENTRAL AV AND BANK ST
    • Robbery on 24XX N CALVERT ST
    • Robbery on 14XX DECATUR ST
    • Theft on 3XX ST PAUL PL
    • Theft on 2XX N GREENE ST
    • Burglary on 3XX W BALTIMORE ST
    • Assault on 2XX E NORTH AV
    • Theft on 1XX E BALTIMORE ST
    • Theft on 13XX TOWSON ST
    • Theft on XX E CHASE ST
    • Theft on 3XX LIGHT ST
    • Theft on 14XX BANK ST
    • Theft on 13XX N CALVERT ST
    • Theft on 7XX MURA ST
    • Theft on 5XX N CHARLES ST
    • Theft on 2XX W CLAY ST
    • Theft on XX S FREDERICK ST
    • Theft on 16XX DRUID HILL AV
    • Theft on 13XX DRUID HILL AV
    • Theft on 30XX MAYFIELD AV
    • Theft on 5XX N EUTAW ST
    • Theft on 6XX MCKEWIN AV
    • Theft on XX S FRONT ST
    • Theft on 1XX S GAY ST
    • Assault on 2XX N CONKLING ST
    • Robbery on 2XX E MONTGOMERY ST
    • Assault on 1XX S BROADWAY
    • Burglary on 6XX MONTPELIER ST
    • Theft on 19XX MARYLAND AV
    • Theft on 6XX AISQUITH ST

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    Here is my question based on the first 3 minutes of the video....That is $3k casket easy, and burial plots are at least a grand, so that plus the cost of the funeral/mortician/etc are going to be in the 10k range.

How come they have that money to spend on burying the dude, but they cant spend it on community college to get some skills and get the hell out of the city?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Here is my question based on the first 3 minutes of the video....That is $3k casket easy, and burial plots are at least a grand, so that plus the cost of the funeral/mortician/etc are going to be in the 10k range.

How come they have that money to spend on burying the dude, but they cant spend it on community college to get some skills and get the hell out of the city?

Maybe they are more interested in dying well than living well. Good question.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama

Because education and skillz ain't be stylin' fool!

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn

+1. I own a rental property in Coldspring on Pimlico. I had to "check in" with the local drug dealer to insure that I would not be shot for being the "wrong race" (his words) on his block. I carry a Mossberg If I have to work out in the yard. It is as bad as they say in that film.
    Now, the war on drugs is not was not a plan to undermine the civil right movement. That's crap!

+1. I own a rental property in Coldspring on Pimlico. I had to "check in" with the local drug dealer to insure that I would not be shot for being the "wrong race" (his words) on his block. I carry a Mossberg If I have to work out in the yard. It is as bad as they say in that film.
    Now, the war on drugs is not was not a plan to undermine the civil right movement. That's crap!

You can be the wrong race, so long as you're buying.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom