• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    For a little background I work in Severn, MD right on Burns Crossing Rd. My girlfriend lives in Millersville, which is the next exit on 97 so I'm enjoying the close proximity, however I get off at 5 and she gets off between 6 and 7 so I often find myself twiddling my thumbs in a parking lot somewhere. Until someone reminded me On Target is 2 exits down on 32! I don't think I need to say where my extra hours after work have been spent lately.

Well as the targets with nice groupings (been renting a S&W 617, a .22LR revolver could be on the horizon just for cheap plinking while I wait for her to get off work) have been piling up she has expressed an interest in tagging along with me one day (I got a beer drinking, gun shooting, country music loving Ravens fan, total wife material with this one:D). As we were flipping through the rental guns available on their website and I was giving her a quick safety briefing on the different styles, triggers, etc. she points to a gun and proclaims she wants to shoot that one. All 5'2" of her points to a S&W 629! I desperately try to explain the lunacy of her shooting a .44 magnum until she has a good bit of experience with some larger calibers but she won't budge and thinks she will be able to shoot. Okay there, Dirty Harriet.

She finally had the opportunity to shoot with me. We go in and while she is filling out some stuff I say to the guy, "Put the Smith 629 on the table, let her hold it, then give me the Ruger .22LR pistol." She picks up the gun and can't even hold the sights straight on something and asks for something smaller and easier to shoot, guy plops the Ruger pistol up and she wants to shoot it instead.

She doesn't do bad but the Ruger is dirty as anything and the ammo keeps jamming or failing to eject, seeing her quickly losing interest I trade it up for a Smith stainless .38. Time for this girl to nut up or shut up. I load one in the chamber for her, BANG goes this .38 and she has eyes like dinner plates. I ask her how it went, she demands I load 6 more for her!:D

After blowing through a box of 50 I trade the Smith for a Walther PPK/S (I've never shot one either, so it looked like fun). She LOVES that little PPK, it hammer bites the hell out of me. I explain to her it used to be James Bond's preferred gun and she think it's even cooler. So she went from being Dirty Harriet to Jane Blonde in one night and now for christmas she wants a Walther PPK. Don't think I could ask for a better woman at this point.

On the ride home she is telling me how much fun she had and how I'm now not allowed to go to the range without her. Then she says, "But I still want to shoot that big 40-something magnum thing.":sad20: I think I'm just going to rent her a Smith 686, load it with some hot .357s and tell her it's a .44 magnum.;)

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    OT is right around the corner from my work and I need to make some brass.
    PM me for a good time and I'll provide a .44 w/ammo as well as a .357 with the same.
    You two can grab a lane next to me and I'll let you make me brass for free.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Let her shoot the 44 mag after she shoots a little more. My wife's favorite gun is our 44 mag. I have a S&W 629 with 8-3/8" barrel, the weight makes it fun to shoot (not too much recoil). You might be suprised what she likes.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My ex loved shooting my .308 Norma Magnum and her favorite handguns were my norinco commander 1911 and the CZ52 she picked out. Some women like recoil and/or muzzle blast.

current GF likes .22s and 12 gauges (strange combination, I know) and 9mm submachine guns.

Congrats on finding a partner that likes to shoot. Sounds like you have her best interests at heart (i.e. not handing her a 44 right away......). I wish the two of you nothing but the best. (and tight groupings)

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    OT is right around the corner from my work and I need to make some brass.
    PM me for a good time and I'll provide a .44 w/ammo as well as a .357 with the same.
    You two can grab a lane next to me and I'll let you make me brass for free.

She goes in for a minor surgery next friday and she won't be shooting guns for about 8 weeks. So if you need some brass made it will be just me.

Yep, a daughter in 11th grade.

Went there years ago, first class in the new Burns Cross campus.

wal_ppks_max192w.jpg

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I've always secretly wanted a standard PPK in .32ACP but I couldn't justify a safe queen in the event that I hated it. Now I can justify buying one because I know the girl will shoot it!:D I think the wraparound grip will be better for her (that steel backstrap was starting to hurt me) and I already stock .32ACP for another gun, so a standard PPK in .32ACP sounds perfect for her. I just wish I could get a new PPK in .32CP that was blue instead of stainless, the stainless just ruins the look of the gun in my opinion. Either way, I'm getting what she likes to shoot not what I like to look at.:rolleyes:

This weekend we might head to the range again, this time MSAR (On Target is 10 miles from her house, MSAR is 10 miles from my house, so we might be alternating with these ranges). I'm going to see if I can't get her to try a Sig P232 to see if she likes a little bigger frame or wants to stick with the PPK style. Might also have her try a Glock 19 to see if she likes a bigger caliber and double-stacks or not. I just want to make sure if I'm forking the money for her to shoot with me she loves what I buy, because chances are I won't have much interest in shooting it (I like my rounds in a circle, not a line).

Only thing that would have made this girl even more perfect was if she was a wheelgun nut like me.:sad20: I tried with that Smith .38 but it just didn't take. Oh well, she can sit there and load those derned mags next time, I will happily be sliding rounds into the cylinder and not busting my thumbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom