• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I'm considering entering one next year in the Masters 50+ division (I'm 66). I'm willing to fly anywhere (one event is in PA in May), but training in the gym is one thing, training for the games another. My gym coach, an 82nd vet, has a retired SF brother that runs one of these events. Says there is a 3 day training course that might be useful. I'll call and get more info. You only live once...

apodgrouparms

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 22, 2023
    Calvert County
    I'm considering entering one next year in the Masters 50+ division (I'm 66). I'm willing to fly anywhere (one event is in PA in May), but training in the gym is one thing, training for the games another. My gym coach, an 82nd vet, has a retired SF brother that runs one of these events. Says there is a 3 day training course that might be useful. I'll call and get more info. You only live once...
    Wow, that's awesome of you. I agree...YOLO hahaha! I think the training course would be useful, knowing what you are getting into is 1/2 the battle. Our son is 82nd serving now in NC. We are looking to partner with them, so I hope to see you in May!

CZ_Jockey

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2024
    owings mills, md
    So I was thinking the same until I ran in to some TacGame competitors at a USPSA match at Shadow Hawk. Super fit guys and okay shooters. They told me the weights in the 50+ division are HEAVIER! Old man strength or some BS like that. I like to push myself but I do not need any more injuries! YMMV

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    So I was thinking the same until I ran in to some TacGame competitors at a USPSA match at Shadow Hawk. Super fit guys and okay shooters. They told me the weights in the 50+ division are HEAVIER! Old man strength or some BS like that. I like to push myself but I do not need any more injuries! YMMV
    Really? I wonder how heavy the materials are. I can still squat just under 225 and deadlift over 300 at 160lb bw, but my body is definitely skiing downhill. It might be worth flying to an event and watching for the day. Crap, I JUST started my training program yesterday...

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

****Yea, this is definitely a sport for super fit guys, especially at the highest levels. One can be a GREAT shooter but if you can't move well, or haul a plate carrier, your rifle on a sling, pistol, mags, etc...while moving and overcome some obstacles, etc.. you WILL get dropped (fall behind) to guys that are not as good a shot but who are fast/fit. There are plenty of remarkably good shooters IME, but unless active military or LEO (even sometimes active military or LEO..) - most of the really really good shooters tend to not be in the greatest of shape (yes yes, round is a shape..). Pretty much follows the population at large.

I'm an RSO at our local private range, which has perhaps 1500 members or so - and I help teach various classes from outright beginners (Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, etc..) to more advanced courses like the W&C, or PPIH/PPOH, etc.. Very very few guys actively work out, and we have guests from other chapters - some who are at the Master/Grand Master IDPA types who just *destroy* our practical defense courses, and finish stages with zero misses in times that are sometimes 1/2 or less as the average decent shooter at our range - but they are very heavy guys sometimes with clearly limited functional mobility who would have great difficulty climbing an obstacle, or running a few hundred yards loaded up, etc...

It's kind of the same IME with sports like Triathlon/Duathlon, Decathlon, etc.. where you have people that are basically mediocre at most of the events (run, bike, swim, etc..) but overall just better on average doing all of the events together. There have been Olympic caliber runners who laughed at the run times at the pro triathlon level by the athletes who thought they could just crush everyone because of their talent at *their* sport and had their asses handed to them, and didn't even have the best run time in the event because they had to work so hard at the swim and bike... Same with Olympic Gold Medalist swimmers who wanted to be allowed to compete in the Pro field (Pro card has to be earned..) at a big Triathlon only to find out open water swimming is *really* different than a nice 50 meter pool with lane lines... and *they* got their asses handed to them by the pros in their sport (Triathlon) even though those Triathlon professionals had decently fast times but were orders of magnitude slower than a national or international caliber level swimmer at their sport...

The sport picks the athlete. Some pics of events I have been to in the past (mostly IDPA and educational stuff with my fellow RSO's..). A couple of those guys in the pics are very very high level IDPA/IPSC shooters but most of them are clearly not in the greatest of physical shape even though they can flat out shoot 99% of the guys/gals out at these events, and are remarkable athletes in *their* sport.

The Templeton TTG event in PA is coming up in late May at the Ben Franklin range and I know a couple of the RSO's scoring the event and might do the drive up there and either compete if possible, or be a volunteer helping score, etc.. I was surprised at how small the guys who actually do well at these events are - super fit, (not built like a huge house bodybuilder guys) that can move fast and just haul ass on the course and be steady enough to make their shots well enough. Just being a good shot is not enough - gotta be able to move and carry your gear, lift some sand bags, climb, sometimes jump, etc.. Not easy while still being expected to shoot a stage...

Fat guys shootin.jpg

idp5.jpg

idpa5.jpg

idpa1.jpg

idpa2.jpg

IMG_6141.jpg

IMG_6140(1).jpg
    pickles.jpg

CZ_Jockey

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2024
    owings mills, md
    ****Yea, this is definitely a sport for super fit guys, especially at the highest levels. One can be a GREAT shooter but if you can't move well, or haul a plate carrier, your rifle on a sling, pistol, mags, etc...while moving and overcome some obstacles, etc.. you WILL get dropped (fall behind) to guys that are not as good a shot but who are fast/fit. There are plenty of remarkably good shooters IME, but unless active military or LEO (even sometimes active military or LEO..) - most of the really really good shooters tend to not be in the greatest of shape (yes yes, round is a shape..)....

My days of tough mudders and ultra endurance mountain biking are in the rear view mirror. I stay fit but that is not the same as high level conditioned AKA "Super Fit"!

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    If you want to try something similar but more local, we run 2 Gun Action Challenge match at AGC. Most stages have options on how difficult/heavy you want the weights to be, with time bonuses for choosing heavier weights

CZ_Jockey

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2024
    owings mills, md
    If you want to try something similar but more local, we run 2 Gun Action Challenge match at AGC. Most stages have options on how difficult/heavy you want the weights to be, with time bonuses for choosing heavier weights
    Please post match links! Or are they listed in Practiscore?

apodgrouparms

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 22, 2023
    Calvert County
    ****Yea, this is definitely a sport for super fit guys, especially at the highest levels. One can be a GREAT shooter but if you can't move well, or haul a plate carrier, your rifle on a sling, pistol, mags, etc...while moving and overcome some obstacles, etc.. you WILL get dropped (fall behind) to guys that are not as good a shot but who are fast/fit. There are plenty of remarkably good shooters IME, but unless active military or LEO (even sometimes active military or LEO..) - most of the really really good shooters tend to not be in the greatest of shape (yes yes, round is a shape..). Pretty much follows the population at large.

I'm an RSO at our local private range, which has perhaps 1500 members or so - and I help teach various classes from outright beginners (Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, etc..) to more advanced courses like the W&C, or PPIH/PPOH, etc.. Very very few guys actively work out, and we have guests from other chapters - some who are at the Master/Grand Master IDPA types who just *destroy* our practical defense courses, and finish stages with zero misses in times that are sometimes 1/2 or less as the average decent shooter at our range - but they are very heavy guys sometimes with clearly limited functional mobility who would have great difficulty climbing an obstacle, or running a few hundred yards loaded up, etc...

It's kind of the same IME with sports like Triathlon/Duathlon, Decathlon, etc.. where you have people that are basically mediocre at most of the events (run, bike, swim, etc..) but overall just better on average doing all of the events together. There have been Olympic caliber runners who laughed at the run times at the pro triathlon level by the athletes who thought they could just crush everyone because of their talent at *their* sport and had their asses handed to them, and didn't even have the best run time in the event because they had to work so hard at the swim and bike... Same with Olympic Gold Medalist swimmers who wanted to be allowed to compete in the Pro field (Pro card has to be earned..) at a big Triathlon only to find out open water swimming is *really* different than a nice 50 meter pool with lane lines... and *they* got their asses handed to them by the pros in their sport (Triathlon) even though those Triathlon professionals had decently fast times but were orders of magnitude slower than a national or international caliber level swimmer at their sport...

The sport picks the athlete. Some pics of events I have been to in the past (mostly IDPA and educational stuff with my fellow RSO's..). A couple of those guys in the pics are very very high level IDPA/IPSC shooters but most of them are clearly not in the greatest of physical shape even though they can flat out shoot 99% of the guys/gals out at these events, and are remarkable athletes in *their* sport.

The Templeton TTG event in PA is coming up in late May at the Ben Franklin range and I know a couple of the RSO's scoring the event and might do the drive up there and either compete if possible, or be a volunteer helping score, etc.. I was surprised at how small the guys who actually do well at these events are - super fit, (not built like a huge house bodybuilder guys) that can move fast and just haul ass on the course and be steady enough to make their shots well enough. Just being a good shot is not enough - gotta be able to move and carry your gear, lift some sand bags, climb, sometimes jump, etc.. Not easy while still being expected to shoot a stage...

View attachment 450796
    View attachment 450800
    View attachment 450801
    View attachment 450802
    View attachment 450803
    View attachment 450807
    View attachment 450808 View attachment 450809
    The idea of the sport is to be fit and shoot not just shoot and not just be fit. I was talking with the guy that created this and he said that people that think they are the best in either area will be humbled and that's what makes it competitive in difference to other competitive shooting. I'd love to watch a match myself and see how it goes. I'm interested in your feed back to from the PA match if you get to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom