The Ruger American 300 BLK Is Getting New Furniture...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I really appreciate the input on my "poll" thread plus the knowledge I gained on several other threads. Nutmeg was my first choice and the members validated that. :thumbsup:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=180771

The Boyd's aftermarket stock arrived this week while I was on a biz trip. I loved it the moment I unpacked the box tonight. :thumbsup:

Since it's not a "drop in" replacement - it will require some bedding and fitting. it won't be a "rush" project. Besides, there just "might" be a Hooligan shoot on Sunday and I want to shoot the rifle. ;)

This is not my first rodeo on stock installations/repairs. My plan is to take it slow and do it right ---> and post some pics of the process on this thread that may help some other folks...

Here's a pic of the rifle and its new furniture on a bench together for the first time...

Stay tuned...More to come...

:innocent0

Attachments

• Boyd's Stock Arrival SNIP DSC04373.jpg
      Boyd's Stock Arrival SNIP DSC04373.jpg
      44.7 KB · Views: 611

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Stock Installation - Day One

Since I wanted to shoot the Ruger last Sunday its new stock sat idle until today. Here we go...

First step: Initial Fitting. Make sure the gun is unloaded etc. etc. etc. We all know the safety drill. :thumbsup: Of course I expected minor fitting to be needed - "drop in" rarely happens. First problem to deal with is below:

The lugs will need to be bedded in the stock. But they need to fit the receiver correctly before that step. Looking good so far:

The receiver has recesses that mate with the lugs:

The rear lug mates with the rear slots perfectly. :thumbsup:

Uh Oh... "Hey Houston - we got a problem"...the front lug is too wide! I measured the lug's ears and the recesses. It's about .006 too fat to fit... :sad20:

There are a few options here:

1) Call Boyd's and gripe. But they'll tell me "installations need to be fitted to the gun". And they're right.
    2) Grab my trusty file and have at the lug. If I'm real careful I can file it down to the correct width and keep the faces straight. Or...
    3) I can go see my local smith and pay him a few bucks to fit the lug on the proper equipment so it's done right.

I vote for #3... :thumbsup:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Project Update

Well, my plan was for my smith to fit the front lug and I would tackle the rest of the installation. Best laid plans. My guy went ahead and bedded the lugs and installed the stock professionally. But for what he charged --- I am NOT complaining... :party29:

I still need to torque the muzzle brake completely, but no big deal. Maybe later I'll glass bed the action.

I really like the rifle's new look. Now it needs to get back out to the range!

:D

Attachments

• Boyd's Stock Installed Right Side Capture.jpg
      Boyd's Stock Installed Right Side Capture.jpg
      42.5 KB · Views: 473
    • Boyd's Stock Installed Left Side Capture.jpg
      Boyd's Stock Installed Left Side Capture.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 477
    Last edited:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Range Report 11/15/2015

Wow! The Boyd's stock adds to accuracy!

At today's Hooligan shoot the Ruger American with its new furniture took a back seat to the black powder fun we had. But the rifle was there for its range tests and scope re-zero. You can see it on the bench behind StanW shooting an SKS.

The pic of the target is what the Ruger did in the Boyd’s stock at 50 yards with my gas-checked cast boolits over IMR4227. My loads with 150 and 165 gr JB's performed about the same. At 100 yds the Ruger hit the center of StanW's 6" steel plate 20 for 20.

I don’t think I can ask for more accuracy than that from the rifle. Getting a better group is up to the shooter -> that would be me!

I think i'm falling in love with the 300BLK round - especially in a Ruger American.

That's not a bad thing, is it?

:shrug:

Attachments

• DSC04621 StanW SKS SNIP.jpg
      DSC04621 StanW SKS SNIP.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 397
    • DSC04626 Ruger American 300 BLK 50 Yds - 150 gr cast GC 11__15_2015.JPG
      DSC04626 Ruger American 300 BLK 50 Yds - 150 gr cast GC 11__15_2015.JPG
      53.1 KB · Views: 408

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I am picking one up tomorrow. Pain in the ass to find one in stock right now. I plan to mount my P-300 scope to it and sight it in before rifle season. After the season is over I plan to do a stock replacement as well. Thanks for this thread. It took a lot of my planning and put it into picture form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom