• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    So at the beginning of the year I got this crazy idea of turning my AK-74 into a poor man's DMR for shits and giggles. Unbeknownst to me this would take a year to actually complete due to lack of funds from being a fresh college graduate and being on the Air Force's waiting list.

The goal of this project was to create a stable shooting platform when benched without ruining the AK's sleek and sexy lines. The way I thought I'd achieve this was through all quick-detach equipment.

The AK before all of this:
    DSC_2845.jpg

Part 1: The Shopping List

QD Scope mount
    Scope
    Low-cap mags
    Bipod

The first two were easy to get. A local gun show allowed me to pick up a UTG double rail mount for $40. The top rail sits perfectly in the center. :thumbsup:

I then picked up a Centerpoint 4-16x40 mil-dot scope from Wal-Mart. :D For being $60 it's pretty good. It works and holds zero even on the QD mount. Has some neat features like red/green illumination for nerds, zero-reset, and turret locks too. The color does get a bit foggy at 16x but 14x is more than enough for what I wanted to do. :lol2:

And then it all went to hell.

Part 2: Broken Promises

So my next thing on the list were the low-cap mags. Low cap 5.45 mags were a bit rare when this project came to mind. Yet hi-caps are a dime a dozen. But I did eventually find them via Century Arms. But they wanted me to pay out the ass for shipping($27) if I bought only two mags. So I thought came to me why not split it with someone?

Earlier I'd been talking to MDS member "rob-cubed" about sourcing these suckers. I told him I found some on Century Arms and that they had other mags he'd be interested in. So we agreed we'd both get some mags and split the shipping. So we place an order. A few days later it comes in and my half of the order is missing, 2x 10rd 5.45 mags. :( According to Century Arms they were out of stock although their website lists it as in stock. I'm not mad though, I helped out another MDS member.

So a few weeks later we try again and to our surprise. Same story. :( Once again not mad at all since rob got his stuff and I'm always happy to help people. I just wish Century would inform us first before waiting on broken promises.

So later on in the year Tapco decides to finally get around to manufacturing 5.45 mags and lo and behold 10 round mags are on their list! :D So I wait a couple of week for these babies to trickle into online retailers and $28 later I got 'em in my hand.

Part 3: The Mount

So now comes the problem of mounting a quick-detatch bipod that leaves the AK's silhouette intact without drastically deforming it. A lot of thoughts crossed on my mind on how to accomplish this. My first idea was to make use of the AK's built-in accessory/bayonet lug. Possible some sort of adapter that turns it into a small rail. A bonus would be if I could keep the bayonet lug free, since this AK has two lugs. These bayonet lug-to-rail adapters exsist for ARs and it to me weeks of searching to find that nothing like this exists for the AK platform. :sad20:

Another idea was to have the adapter fabricated but that went up in smoke.

Another MDS member, Inigoes offered me a barrel clamp-on quad-rail as karma. Which was great and very nice of him, but was a bit bulky when attached. Although it's not on my AK it's getting used on my dad's AR. :)

Finally a breakthrough. Fellow MDS member Nemesis announces he'll be modifying AK handguards with bipod studs. The small bipod stud doesn't really mess with the AK's sexiness. I'm ecstatic and for a small price I send my handguards out to him to get the modifications done. I then met him at a local range to check out his work and his AK. :D

astud1.jpg

astud2.jpg

He did really great and professional work! The stud was neatly integrated into the handguard and polished. It's very sturdy once a bipod is installed. Best of all the AK still looks like an AK! :lol2:

DSC_2956.jpg

Part 4: Amazon's Free "Shipping"

Not really having any money left it took a lot of research to find a bipod that had features I was looking for without breaking whatever was left of my meager bank account. After a week of deliberations I settled on this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002INWLY

For $29, it had just about what I needed. And hey free shipping! Who doesn't love that? I don't. :mad54: So I placed the order. And I wait. And wait. Five business days later it shipped. Yipee hooray! :tdown: I dilligently track the package every morning. And for four business days it's stuck in FedEx Limbo with no updates. Two more business days later it's at my door step. :/

Part 5: It's Done

So a year's worth of effort and saving up pennies and selling my childhood to pay for this stuff ends up with this:
    DSC_2940.jpg

DSC_2944.jpg

DSC_2941.jpg

DSC_2943.jpg

And finally a short trip to the range today before I leave for the Air Force. Mind you I only tried 50 yards due to time constraints. I have two days to spend with the family before I leave. By the way I've been told I look 14 years old I'm actually 22. :D

DSC_2953.jpg

DSC_2954.jpg

And how does she shoot?

AKDMR.jpg

Right off the bat, two shots into the red. And then I just decided to let rapid-fire from there. I would've loved to try her at 100 yards but there were time constraints, mainly wanting to see my dad shoot the AR I helped him put together before I left for basic training. He can't see very clearly past 50 yards and he was sighting in his rifle. I figure I'll just get to the 100 yard test when I get back. :)

I'd like to thank rob cubed, Inigoes, and Nemesis for helping me complete this shits and giggles project. I'd also like to thank all of MDS for the wealth of knowledge posted here and the laughs. It's been fun. My last post before basic will be on Sunday night. Hope the forum doesn't change too much while I'm gone.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    awesome build :) im just happy that i could help it all come together. frankly im not sure you can really call it a 'shits and giggles project' anymore :D

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yeah the Tantal mag fiasco was frustrating. I really wanted a ready-to-go factory low-cap as bad as you did!

I've taken metal WASR-2 mags and ground down the extra-thick plates on either side the magazine and they now feed perfect in both Bulgarian and Saiga 5.45s. This actually brings them in spec on the OD. I don't know why the Romanians chose to make them wider, all the other countries issued 5.45 mags that were slightly narrower than the 7.62. The Romanians kept everything the same size. They aren't hard to modify with a grinding wheel and some patience and I still have two left... let me know when you get back from basic!

Also, the Saiga factory mags will work if you Dremel off the built-in bullet guide. These don't have metal anywhere in them but they are a little nicer than Tapco.

Nice looking AK, I like the quick-release bipod stud! Good job to all.

When you get a little more cash you need to look into a POSP... they are pretty decent quality, straight from Belarus, and there's no need to worry about a mount as it's all one piece that slides on the rail and is secured very well with a flip lever. You can take it off and on with very little change in zero.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Yeah the Tantal mag fiasco was frustrating. I really wanted a ready-to-go factory low-cap as bad as you did!

I've taken metal WASR-2 mags and ground down the extra-thick plates on either side the magazine and they now feed perfect in both Bulgarian and Saiga 5.45s. This actually brings them in spec on the OD. I don't know why the Romanians chose to make them wider, all the other countries issued 5.45 mags that were slightly narrower than the 7.62. The Romanians kept everything the same size. They aren't hard to modify with a grinding wheel and some patience and I still have two left... let me know when you get back from basic!

Also, the Saiga factory mags will work if you Dremel off the built-in bullet guide. These don't have metal anywhere in them but they are a little nicer than Tapco.

Nice looking AK, I like the quick-release bipod stud! Good job to all.

When you get a little more cash you need to look into a POSP... they are pretty decent quality, straight from Belarus, and there's no need to worry about a mount as it's all one piece that slides on the rail and is secured very well with a flip lever. You can take it off and on with very little change in zero.

I definitely want to get a POSP or a true Russian scope. My dream. :D

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Dude, you have emo kid written all over you! :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Attachments

• masturbation-demotivational-poster-1213138559.jpg
      masturbation-demotivational-poster-1213138559.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 468

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not a bad setup. I like it.

Just lock that side mount down good with some loctite, they like to loosen up.

The dude in the black jacket is going to f his scope up on that AR. You never bridge your scope (A ring on the Upper and a Ring on the Railed Handguard)

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    how the hell do you shoot with that hair in your eye? I guess the Air Force will fix that for you:)

Nice job, what kind of 74 is that btw?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    No he does not he has long hair.

Post a picture of yourself. Maybe well think you look like a kiddy diddler.

You can keep hoping Chad, but I don't roll that way... Plus I was teased more than enough just for my toes. ;)

I might add, I did get a little hell when I posted a picture of myself up here anyway.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    The dude in the black jacket is going to f his scope up on that AR. You never bridge your scope (A ring on the Upper and a Ring on the Railed Handguard)

People always want to save a few bucks by not going with a cantlievered scope mount on an AR and then they try to get the proper eye relief...that's a real bad idea :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom