• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Once you get into UL rated safes in the TL15x6 or TL30x6 category, a regular angle grinder wont get you far. A demolition saw with abrasive blades or a professional core-drill will get you in, but not the kind of stuff you find in a homeowners toolbox.

All it takes is money.
    X6 is a ton of money. Enough so that a reliable home security system combined with a lesser safe is probably the more realistic option. If you have a large collection, the cost of stuffing it in TL15 safes gets huge really fast.

... and concrete to pour the extra foundation you need for a TL30 big enough to hold long guns.
    This really gets overlooked a lot. Once you hit TL30x6 (which isn't the same as TL30!) talking about safes that exceed a ton in weight. Moving them in is a beast of a problem, too.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    That just looks like someone took a grinder to the side of it which makes sense since it offers the path of least resistance. In my eyes a safe is merely a deterrent to the common thief. You can pretty much cut through most safes with decent tools. I think you would be better served by a good security system as opposed to a $10k safe. Unless you are planning to shell out a bunch of money into a good safe and recess it into a concrete wall, I believe a better security system is a more affordable route to take.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Chatwood-Milner
    Kaso
    John Tann

Jewelry-grade containers designed to protect millions.

As far as specific GUN safes, I have always liked AMSEC, Browning, and Liberty. HOWEVER, be aware that they all have their low-grade, economy models which are on par with the subject of this thread.

How about Superior and Sturdy?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    X6 is a ton of money. Enough so that a reliable home security system combined with a lesser safe is probably the more realistic option. If you have a large collection, the cost of stuffing it in TL15 safes gets huge really fast.

This really gets overlooked a lot. Once you hit TL30x6 (which isn't the same as TL30!) talking about safes that exceed a ton in weight. Moving them in is a beast of a problem, too.

Unless you collect transferable MP5s or number matching Thommy guns, I doubt anyones collection is 'dense' enough to warrant a x6 safe. I didn't suggest anyone need that, it was just the answer tothe question whether you can get in through the side of any safe.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    So it seems the Homeowner had a Sercurity Camera at min and probably a security system, so some of the suggestions to get a cheaper safe and a security system may not work out either.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The other thing is, make it hard to get to the side.

Maybe just a wall using studs and cement board. Or high end, pour some walls next to the safe.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The other thing is, make it hard to get to the side.

Maybe just a wall using studs and cement board. Or high end, pour some walls next to the safe.
    I've never had any illusions that my safe was burglary proof, and I've got a decent safe - a Heritage Tradition series safe. With that said, how I've got it positioned in my house makes it difficult to get to the sides, and it can't be moved because it's bolted down.

The bottom line, if someone really wants to get into my safe to get what's in there, it can be done, but it won't be done in 10 minutes.

I bought my safe for a few main reasons:

• I wanted a bit of peace of mind in case of a fire, and even that's not guaranteed
    • I wanted basic security so most of my guns are secure in the house with people and kids in and out
    • I wanted basic burglar deterrent, so that your average Freddie Felon who breaks in looking for a quick grab can't get in.
    I think I accomplished that. If someone comes in with some time and tools, it's only going to last so long with a motivated thief.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    So is this not the same safe I saw this morning being cut open in a pharmacy? Sorry, can't find the video, think it was in Texas? Same style safe cut into on the same side as this one. Would be one hell of a coincidence for 2 of these to show up this close together.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    J
    That would be it. I pulled these photos off of a locksmith forum that I belong to - and embellished things a bit in order to make a point. While the safe did not actually contain guns, I was trying to point out how poorly many of the gun safes on the market perform when subjected to forced entry attacks. These are the same garbage containers carried at discount stores that I see constantly being discussed on this forum regarding "who has the lowest price?", as if the only difference between imported trash and a quality container is the price. A lot of these "safes" offer little more protection than a cardboard box and a padlock. Many of you own low-end junk like this and hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call to increase your security. I see similar circumstances all the time- guns, jewelry, cash, family heirlooms, etc....all severely under protected for the sake of saving money. The bottom line is: DON'T BE CHEAP.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    DONT BE CHEAP, you are a natural at sales. I'm kidding, I understand your message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not on this forum to make sales, so no offense taken. I'm here to help prevent you guys from being victims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom