• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Radical Arms 7.62x39 upper HB 16" with a Spikes Crusader lower and Spikes enhanced lower parts kit. Had to install an enhanced firing pin to get reliable Russian steel case ammo ignition.

Attachments

• DSC00009.jpg
      DSC00009.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 458
    • DSC00010.jpg
      DSC00010.jpg
      85 KB · Views: 466
    • DSC00011.jpg
      DSC00011.jpg
      90.5 KB · Views: 462
    • DSC00012.jpg
      DSC00012.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 442
    • DSC00013.jpg
      DSC00013.jpg
      81.2 KB · Views: 456

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I'm a lefty and I never understood the need for an ambi charging handle. When I was an infantryman with an M16A1, we were taught to put two fingers on each side of the charging handle.

With all the buis and options and other stuff on back and of the rail it can be tough to get big fingers in to engage the release. Not much of an issue on the carry handle m16. Also why use 2 fingers if you can use 1

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    With all the buis and options and other stuff on back and of the rail it can be tough to get big fingers in to engage the release. Not much of an issue on the carry handle m16. Also why use 2 fingers if you can use 1

We were trained to use all four fingers. When you're an infantryman, you operate in the mud and rain. You need all the grip you can get.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    We were trained to use all four fingers. When you're an infantryman, you operate in the mud and rain. You need all the grip you can get.

I know what you were trained. On the carry handle m16 the normal charging handle is fine. On the flat tops I prefer the wider ambi handles because they are easier to engage with my mbuis in the down position. To each their own.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I just use an extended latch. It ain't hard to draw it straight back. Been doing it for years.

But then, I'm an expert...:sarcasm:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    After having to mortar a few, I like the extra purchase of an ambi handle.

Also seems/feels easier to 'blade' the handle if you have low mounted magnified optics and can't get under the eyepiece.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I know what you were trained. On the carry handle m16 the normal charging handle is fine. On the flat tops I prefer the wider ambi handles because they are easier to engage with my mbuis in the down position. To each their own.

In the gun world, preference is always a valid reason. For example, even though I'm a lefty, I prefer to keep the magazine ejection button on the left side of my pistols because I learned how to shoot right handed guns and naturally ejected mags with my left middle finger.

I wasn't saying ambi handles were bad or stupid. I was just saying I didn't understand the need since the only way I've ever charged an AR or an M16 was with all four fingers. I never knew anyone charged then from one side only.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    My $350ish AR

I have a few ARs that cost me an arm and a leg and consider them to be my "go to" ARs. This one I just couldn't pass up. Ordered a few lowers from PSA for $39 shipped a while back. Then a few weeks ago, saw a PSA nitride upper build kit for $299 shipped. I had an old bushmaster carry handle in my parts bin and used it to top it off.

$350 build.

Attachments

• IMG_0263 (1).jpg
      IMG_0263 (1).jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 433

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar